What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Austin

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Austin provides us with some depth in the halves which is always good, a back up 7 would be handy to have now.

Still need some grunt in the back row

I posted this on the 'Continue With Change thread earlier this morning: Worth repeating ? Just provides some more info:

Not exactly top notch signings if what ive heard is correct - Blake Austin and Corey Patterson
Had to google Blake Austin as there was certainly a blank there.

Blake Austin (born 1 February 1991) is an Australian rugby league footballer of Portuguese descent, who currently plays for the Penrith Panthers in the NRL. His choice of position is either Second-Row, Five-Eighth or Halfback.

In late February, 2012, The Penrith Panthers announced a two-year deal with Blake. This contract will allow Austin to keep playing with the Penrith Panthers until season 2014
So he is 22 years old. His choice of position is interesting, there's backup there as another utility but will no doubt be playing plenty of NSW Cup, you'd assume.

Could not recall Paterson playing for the Knights or anyone else this year. A quick check, shows us that:
He is 26, he currently plays for the Hull Kingston Rovers in the Super League (SSL). He previously played 77 NRL matches for the Newcastle Knights. His usual position is in the second-row.
At the end of the 2008 season, Paterson was selected in the Prime Minister's XIII - OK for a 21 year old.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Paterson

Austin provides us with some depth in the halves
Yes and far better than manufacturing :roll: a 6 or 7 as we (read Sheens) have done in recent times. Whilst I thought that Wallace would have been a good signing if we could get him cheap, from what people have said about Austin, he provides cover at 6 & 7 as well as in the back row.

Better than Moltzen because at best, he provided coverage for fullback and outside back so well :lol: and then as 7. Now we have some good coverage for fullback and outside backs. So the 6 & 7 coverage is more important.

hutch

First Grade
Happy with both signings provided they are not on big coin which I don't think they are. Adds depth if anything and can't be any worse than some of the players we have used this year.
Agree that we still need a second rower with some grunt, a Gareth Ellis type player.

franklin2323

Immortal
There isn't a Panthers fan that doesn't rate him. For some reason the coach doesn't & didn't activate the clause to keep him. He should be our 13

We just have too many backrowers. Except for Newton & Ciraldo we have them all though Taylor & Peachey will keep him down the pecking order.

gronkathon

First Grade
I saw him playing for Windsor in the centres in round 2 and he was an absolute beast on the fringe.

Great goal kicker too

ucantseeme

Juniors
Cory Patterson is coming home to OZ because his wife is homesick and Blake Austin has been in the NRL wilderness so I would say the WT would have some good bargaining leverage when signing them.

Won't judge til they actually play. Look at Justin Horo at Manly. Goes from mediocre at Parra to a gun with Manly.

axl rose

Bench
Cory Patterson is coming home to OZ because his wife is homesick and Blake Austin has been in the NRL wilderness so I would say the WT would have some good bargaining leverage when signing them.

Won't judge til they actually play. Look at Justin Horo at Manly. Goes from mediocre at Parra to a gun with Manly.

He was good at Parra, they just have no idea.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
The good thing about these signings is that they make sense in terms of overall team structure, unlike Sheens' demented signings that had everyone scratching their heads and wondering what plan they were part of.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I agree Ron. We were short of back rowers before today. There's merit in picking up guys that can play multiple positions in the salary cap era.

I seem to recall Austin having some size about him. I think he's probably best served playing edge back row rather than in the halves. Haven't seen enough of him to say that with any confidence mind you.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I am not saying he is as good but Paterson always reminded me of Simon Mannering. Good offload, pretty good speed and runs good lines. Solid defender too if my memory serves me correctly. Might turn out an alright signing....

R2Coupe

Juniors
Patterson is very good in the air. I recall him scoring a number of tries from bombs. He brings a skillset we are lacking - big, mobile, high workrate, ballskills and a hunger to prove himself again. I get the feeling he is back for the right reasons and we will be fighting off other clubs to retain him.

Big man

Juniors
Good signings, Austin is a talent, great ball skills, can kick and strong ball runner, he reminds me of a cross between campese and Wade Graham. It's a good move for Blake, he was becoming stale at the riff and needed a change. As for Patterson, he is a tall rangy edge forward, could be a surprise but had a lot of off field issues that held him back.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Very excited about Blake austin, huge potential and I can see him making an impact with us. Paterson started his career great but went off the rails, has the talent if his head is screwed on right

Radical Rat

Juniors
Very excited about Blake austin, huge potential and I can see him making an impact with us. Paterson started his career great but went off the rails, has the talent if his head is screwed on right

He suffered from depression. It's not as though he was a serial bad boy with a slew of off field incidents.

TYGA

Juniors
Patterson, Halatau, Austin, Taupau. The club is f%^ked. How anyone is happy with this is beyond me.
They are all future immortals.

Latest posts