What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bloody flat tracks!! I hate 'em!!

Tommy Smith

Referee
f**king hell they're ruining test cricket!

The commentators had a little whinge about the quality of the Darwin pitch, buty hey, at least it produced some captivating cricket! Even if it didn't look pretty. You see the last time i checked, cricket was a contest between bat and ball and in Darwin we had that. But alas we just had to go back to a flat track didnt we so Australias opening bully boys could have some more fun. (not just targetting them because its the case all over the world with every semi-decent batsman having a 50+ average) Well it may have been fun for the Aus openers, but personally i dont like it when even with 200 runs on the board im left waiting for a declaration.

This isnt the first time ive brought this up and may not be the last because its getting pathetic watching cricket being played on concrete all the time. Mix it up abit will you curators. [-o< [-o< [-o<

Who'd be a bowler?

blackfriday

Juniors
fair dinkum, marto usually just randomly swings his bat and today he was carving em up. its almost as if he paid them to bowl bad...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well unfortunately I did not get to see the firts day as I was in Sydney

is this a drop in wicket, anyone know

if it is, enough said, its ruining the game, as it did the India test seriers last year.

azza

Juniors
I Think the ACB wants as much revenue from overseas TV coverage that it can get, so it wants the Tests to go as long as they can... hence the flat decks in the India series last year - as soon as they got on the traditional Aussie wickets (well, there was only one - in Perth) they lost it

/conspiracy mode off

blackfriday

Juniors
well the sydney pitch was just treacherous last season and that managed to last five days. but yes, the batting averages are getting too inflated because someone like damien martyn should be averaging much lower than 46.

Craig

Juniors
Twizzle said:
well unfortunately I did not get to see the firts day as I was in Sydney

is this a drop in wicket, anyone know

if it is, enough said, its ruining the game, as it did the India test seriers last year.

It is probably as identical to a typical wicket at the 'Gabba you will ever get.

Not surprising since it is prepared by Kevin Mitchell Jnr.

Tommy Smith said:
f**king hell they're ruining test cricket!

The commentators had a little whinge about the quality of the Darwin pitch, buty hey, at least it produced some captivating cricket! Even if it didn't look pretty. You see the last time i checked, cricket was a contest between bat and ball and in Darwin we had that. But alas we just had to go back to a flat track didnt we so Australias opening bully boys could have some more fun. (not just targetting them because its the case all over the world with every semi-decent batsman having a 50+ average) Well it may have been fun for the Aus openers, but personally i dont like it when even with 200 runs on the board im left waiting for a declaration.

This isnt the first time ive brought this up and may not be the last because its getting pathetic watching cricket being played on concrete all the time. Mix it up abit will you curators. [-o&lt, post: [-o&lt, member: [-o<

Who'd be a bowler?[/quote"]

There could still be a result. All depends on the first 2.5 hour session tomorrow. If we can lead by 50-80 odd and set them about 350 off 75 overs could be a solid finish.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Dont expect to see the colour green on the wickets in Aust's next 4 test matches in India :roll: .

So, This is good preparation that we played 3 tough tests in SL on rigged spinning wickets, plus this batting track here in gazaly stadium before the Indian series.

Interesting to read Brett Lee is going to India soon to practice, ....bowling I would assume :lol: ;-)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, i saw that as well at Baggy Green

not really a holiday resort

Ian Botham complained during the just completed Test against WI abouth the fact that for years England produced dodgy wet, green wickets and were tumped and now they have a decent pace and swing attack they were producing flat wickets.

Bob Willis made a lot of sense in his rebuttal of Beefy's claim. Test cricket nearly passed away 15 or so years ago due to

1. Boring days plays
2. Too many draws
3. Slow over rates (WI in particular)
4. ODI cricket

Now we are seeing a rebirth of Test cricket. We have a tour to India without ODI's. 4 tests being the tour. How good. The reason being we now have wickets that are a lot truer on days 1-3 and it allows batsmen to play a lot more attacking cricket but there is still reward if you bowl well enough. Tests are going to 5 days a lot more now which is better for the fans. The test in Cairns went down to the last with SL hanging on for a draw. But it was exciting to see if the Aussies could win. Much better to watch than a 3 day Test on a wetter wicket. It makes you a better bowler to have to do things differently to take wickets.

bluemazda

Juniors
i am a first grade sydney curator and my specialty are hard flat batting tracks thats the way it goes in sydney

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
do you prepare them of your own accordy, or are you instructed to prepare them by the home teams ?