What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Boro fans stabbed in Rome

nibbs

Bench
no doubt by fans of AS Roma. not sure how much longer FIFA is going to tolerate this club. they are violent, psychopathic, fascists. a disgrace to football

sunny

British police chiefs have appealed to Middlesbrough supporters not to seek revenge after three fans were stabbed during violent clashes with Roma's infamous 'Ultras' gang last night.
A 39-year-old man has undergone surgery and was still detained in hospital today with stab wounds to his back, although his injuries are not life-threatening, while an 18-year-old and a 31-year-old have been released after treatment. Ten other supporters were also treated for minor injuries after they were attacked by a group of hard-core Roma thugs - at least one of whom was wielding an axe - in and around the Drunken Ship bar in Campo Dei Fiori between 10.45pm and 11.15pm.

However, Superintendent Steve Swales, Cleveland police's commander on the Italian trip, appealed for calm ahead of tonight's Uefa Cup second-leg tie between Boro and Roma at the Stadio Olimpico. "People back in the UK will be listening to this, watching this during the course of the day. If they are in contact with relatives over here, we would appeal for calm," he said. "Whatever happens, we do not want anybody seeking any kind of retribution for this. We are here for a football match and football has to be the winner at the end of this, not the violence. I am appealing for calm, I am appealing for the Middlesbrough people just to take this in their stride, let us and let the Italian authorities deal with the matter."
The British Embassy in Rome confirmed five Italians were arrested in connection with the incident and were due to appear in court today. The injured men have not been named as police contact their relatives, but the most seriously hurt, who was travelling with his 11-year-old son, could be flown home later today.

Meanwhile, a drinking ban has been imposed in some of Rome's most popular piazzas and 300 police officers as well as 300 stewards will be on duty at tonight's match. The incident happened after a gang of Ultras, wearing masks and carrying knives, bottles and other weapons, struck as around 200 Boro fans were enjoying an evening's drinking. "A group of in excess of 30 Italian youths, described as Italian Ultras, came into the square," added Supt Swales. "They were a clearly well-organised group. They had an identified leader at their head - a gentleman who has been described to me as wearing a silver or shiny fireman's-type helmet and a bandana across his face with only his eyes visible.

"These people were carrying sticks, they had axes, we later discovered they had knives, they had firecrackers and paper firebombs. They came into the square and went to the Middlesbrough supporters who were drinking both inside and outside the Drunken Ship, and there the confrontation took place. The vast majority of the Middlesbrough supporters who were there are what we would describe as good, normal, shirt-wearing supporters of Middlesbrough, not hooligans, not people known for trouble. A lot of them were family groups with younger children, some with their wives."

Asked if any blame could be laid at the feet of the Boro fans, Supt Swales said: "I am absolutely satisfied that this has been wholly organised by the Ultras here in Roma." Another group of Ultras was discovered nearby and dispersed. The travelling fans had been warned of possible trouble before they set off for Italy after the club received a detailed briefing from police.

Late last year a Middlesbrough fan died after being stabbed outside a bar in Amsterdam, after travelling to watch his team in the Uefa Cup. Brendan O'Connor, 36, of London, had joined friends to travel to Holland where his team were playing Dutch side AZ Alkmaar last November.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/italy/story/0,,1731419,00.html

vile

hybrid_tiger

Coach
nibbs said:
no doubt by fans of AS Roma. not sure how much longer FIFA is going to tolerate this club. they are violent, psychopathic, fascists. a disgrace to football

You never get tired, do you?

MONY

Juniors
hes right though HT..... hoe many more people do they have to injure before something drastic is done.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
MONY said:
hes right though HT..... hoe many more people do they have to injure before something drastic is done.

No, he's just being an annoying little trolling twat.

You are right - something needs to be done. But why should the club be punished when it was 30 fans? What are they supposed to do?

Raider Ultra

Bench
Roma aren't fascists, they're left wing if my memory serves me correctly. Every club in Italy has the same problem, they should be given a rest from European competition to get their house in order. Just shows how much of a myth it is that English hooligans are the worst. At least the fight with their fists usually, and don't go tooled up like their continental counterparts.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Raider Ultra said:
Roma aren't fascists, they're left wing if my memory serves me correctly.

Don't bother explaning it to nibbs - he's got NFI.

Something needs to be done but I don't have any answers.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Yes, it does, a ban from European competition. England got banished, albeit for something much worse, but Italian clubs just don't seem to learn. From a mate who has connection with Boro, apparently the Ultras started lobbing bottles and rocks at Boro 'scarfers', a few of Boros top boys steamed in and it was on like Donkey Kong.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Raider Ultra said:
Yes, it does, a ban from European competition. England got banished, albeit for something much worse, but Italian clubs just don't seem to learn. From a mate who has connection with Boro, apparently the Ultras started lobbing bottles and rocks at Boro 'scarfers', a few of Boros top boys steamed in and it was on like Donkey Kong.

Banning isn't the answer - in fact, I think it will make the problem worse. The violence would escalate.

The authorities know who these people are - they are just powerless to stop them. The corruption stems from the top down and this isn't going to be easy to stop.

nibbs

Bench
Raider Ultra said:
Roma aren't fascists, they're left wing if my memory serves me correctly.

that explains why roma fans have unveiled fascist banners at games in the past ;-) ;-) ;-)

Raider Ultra

Bench
Are you thinking of Lazio? Banning English clubs played a big part in hooliganism being eradicated, but as you say, the Ultra groups hold so much power in each club it is a hard situation to deal with.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Raider Ultra said:
Are you thinking of Lazio? Banning English clubs played a big part in hooliganism being eradicated, but as you say, the Ultra groups hold so much power in each club it is a hard situation to deal with.

Exactly.

It's not going to be easy. TBH, at this stage there aren't many viable solutions.

weasel

First Grade
Lazio are famed for it, but Roma actually got pinged a few months back after their fans produced fascist banners and neo-nazi posters during a match.

Tommy Smith

Referee
That's an understatement.

What do you make of the last statement? "Nothing but the English are feared" I wonder what he means by that.

nibbs

Bench
a kick roma out of football campaign should help the kick racism out of football campaign... a lot

Latest posts