What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd to quit club

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yep. My brother suffered it badly for about 6 years and the oversensitive thing and the subsequent anger was one of the biggest characteristics of his depression. He didn't have the media after him either.

I have a mate who is like this. Reads too much into every word said to him and runs away, ignoring everyone

We as a group of his mates have been trying to get him help for years but he just wont be in it. Frustrating to the max

perverse

Referee
I really hope he gets to pull on the red and blue again at home at least once so the town can turn out and "make amends" so to speak. I think there'll be a lot of people who have changed their mind about him today... if there aren't, there should be.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/07/23/boyd_supported_by_knights.html

Interview with Bennett on the situation there. Interesting to note at the end of the interview Wayne gives Sione a wrap, goes on to say that he's really excited that he gets to be the coach that debuts him here, and that he's likely to have a very long career at the club and be a club legend. Translation? Wayne doesn't intend on poaching him. Great news.

It seems like Wayne isn't going to pick the eyes out of our club. No-one wants to follow him, and he doesn't seem to have any intention with our juniors, either. I think history will paint Waynes tenure at Newcastle a lot different to how many fans feel about him at the moment once everything about the last 3 years comes out in the wash.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
^ Also interesting that Bennett said that Boyd is very well-liked by his team mates and has a lot of friends. I guess that dispels the speculation and beat up that the other boys hate him...not that I ever thought that was the case. They react to him too positively on the field to have any real hostility there.

Alex28

Coach
There has always been some issues there (his childhood, dependency on Bennett for example) so it's no shock that there is depression in the mix. Hopefully he can get some help, get his frame of mind right and back on the field.

TooheysNew

Coach
^ Also interesting that Bennett said that Boyd is very well-liked by his team mates and has a lot of friends. I guess that dispels the speculation and beat up that the other boys hate him...not that I ever thought that was the case. They react to him too positively on the field to have any real hostility there.
I tried to dispel it...

AceAv

Juniors
Hard year for you guys and awful news to hear about Boyd. I was worried about his form this year and he definatley stepped up his game for origin, but maybe getting beaten by the blues tipped him over the edge?...

Jokes aside though wish him all the best, not sure how curable this disease is, but I would certainly hate for anyone to have it.

Apey

Staff member
I wonder how the fellows who sit near me in the Eastern Grandstand that are always giving Boyd shit will feel about this development. Looking forward to Friday to see how everyone takes the news to be honest.

Read today that Darius' Grandmother has been admitted to a Aged Care Facility. As you all most likely know she raised him. Darbs has been paying for her care. Makes sense why he is dirty on the third party as that is not cheap. I can tell you first hand as I work in the health industry and often have to help families place their loved ones.

I hope the media can actually apologise to Darius and acknowledge that he is a good person. It is pretty obvious the bloke has major anxiety issues that flare up whenever a microphone is stuck in his face. All we can do now is support him as a club. I hope the next club he goes to gets the best out of Darius Boyd cos he is a supremely gifted athlete.

Read today that Darius' Grandmother has been admitted to a Aged Care Facility. As you all most likely know she raised him. Darbs has been paying for her care. Makes sense why he is dirty on the third party as that is not cheap. I can tell you first hand as I work in the health industry and often have to help families place their loved ones.

I hope the media can actually apologise to Darius and acknowledge that he is a good person. It is pretty obvious the bloke has major anxiety issues that flare up whenever a microphone is stuck in his face. All we can do now is support him as a club. I hope the next club he goes to gets the best out of Darius Boyd cos he is a supremely gifted athlete.

Well said!

Noname36

First Grade
The media are scum! Can't believe they went and took all those pictures of his grandmother's deteriorating house since she had to go into a nursing home.

I know they love harassing Boyd but invading an elderly woman's privacy is disgusting.

Big Tim

First Grade
The amount of people backing water here is comical.

You're a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The amount of people backing water here is comical.

You're a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

You may be just taking the piss, I dunno...but...

Ive bagged the bloke in the past for his efforts and without prior knowledge of his condition its pretty understandable to have that reaction as a fan. Some have gotten personal on the bloke which is not on but I think most have just been fed up with his "princess" attitude out on the pitch.

Unless you were posting on here in Darius' defence back then, its pretty rich to be sitting up on the 20/20 hindsight horse

I wonder how the fellows who sit near me in the Eastern Grandstand that are always giving Boyd shit will feel about this development. Looking forward to Friday to see how everyone takes the news to be honest.

I don't see why they should feel bad about anything said in the past, when players hop on the footy field they know they'll cop the good and the bad.

And moving forward Boyd will cop crap.

Just hope people don't go the personal attack with him, that should be treated with the same harshness that racism is.

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
You may be just taking the piss, I dunno...but...

Ive bagged the bloke in the past for his efforts and without prior knowledge of his condition its pretty understandable to have that reaction as a fan. Some have gotten personal on the bloke which is not on but I think most have just been fed up with his "princess" attitude out on the pitch.

Unless you were posting on here in Darius' defence back then, its pretty rich to be sitting up on the 20/20 hindsight horse

Dont and havent posted often for a couple of years now, but I hardly see how getting on here and defending a guy that is clearly despised by the majority of the regulars is pointless. Not posting at all has a better effect IMO.

My assessment of players is for their actions on the field. I dont attack them personally, I dont flip out and call them names, wish they were dropped, got injured etc. Tonight even I was questioning Mamo for not getting on the ball when it was right in front of him, however I didnt call him any names, or speculate about what he does in his spare time.

The "I never knew" defence is pointless. Blind arrogance and anonymity led you to say things about someone that may or may not have affected them personally. I just find it comical that those with the biggest voices are the first to "wish him well"......

Its an unlucky horse that has both me and Tim on it...

It's not too hard to appreciate what these guys do for a living. God knows I couldnt do it....... then you have the pressure of every man and his dog critically reviewing not just your "work", but your personal life. F that.

These guys are human beings like me, they should be treated with the same amount of respect you give your Grandmother.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Like I said Tim, Ive critisised him for his on field efforts only and I certainly dont condone the personal attacks on him

My point was that its understandable that supporters can be angry at his lack of effort and that his condition, which was unknown to most, probably went a big way towards that on field attitude and has shifted some mind sets now that it is widely known.

It was only a very small minority who actually got personal on the bloke. The vast majority here were rigĥt to question his attitude at the time and are now equally right to shift their opinion on him given the new light shed on his mental state. Hell, most of the ones who did get personal acknowledged that and expressed remorse

BTW, what was the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" line all about anyway? Are you suggesting some around here are French?

Last edited:
Kurt said on the Footy Show that he is not sure what Boyd's plans are as far as his get out clause is. Strange comments for a captain to make when the papers report Boyd has told the playing group he is off. Only thing that I can make of that it is possible Boyd has asked to sort himself out then make his final choice.

Nuffy

Bench
Kurt said on the Footy Show that he is not sure what Boyd's plans are as far as his get out clause is. Strange comments for a captain to make when the papers report Boyd has told the playing group he is off. Only thing that I can make of that it is possible Boyd has asked to sort himself out then make his final choice.

I wouldn't read anything into Kurts comments, just him trying to be decent to Boyd and not create a headline either way.

He's going, nothing surer and you know what, that's good because we will need every dollar we have to lock in someone like Sione.

My thoughts did immediately turn to retaining Sione on that comment. The strongest debut by a junior since Joey in 1994. 150 metres on debut! Whoever made the call on him being Karmichael Hunt like is right on the money. Direct and straight returns. Gets the set off to a solid start. Impressive. Most importantly his first notable act was to slip over leading to try and he did anything but lose his confidence. Glad to know Boyd is going cos we need his money to put it mildly.

Last edited:

Latest posts