What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Arthur reaches Eels coaching record

Gronk

Staff member
Those who wish to pile on BA already have a thread for that, so try your hardest not to hijack MOFOS.

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2023/06/10/brad-arthur-reaches-eels-coaching-record/#:~:text=Brad%20Arthur%20will%20become%20the,the%20Club's%2076%2Dyear%20history.

Authorparraeels.com.auTimestampSat 10 Jun 2023, 07:00 AM

Brad Arthur will become the most capped head coach in Parramatta Eels history on Monday when the Blue & Gold face the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

His 244th match will see him overtake Brian Smith (1997-2006) with the most games as head coach of the Parramatta Eels in the Club’s 76-year history.

Arthur is currently in the 10th season of his tenure with the Eels, having taken the head coach position in 2014 after serving as a caretaker coach for six matches in 2012.
As head coach of Parramatta, he has qualified for the NRL Finals Series on five occasions, reached the 2022 NRL Grand Final, and recorded a win rate of 52.7%.
28 players have made their NRL debut under Arthur at the Eels, and 82 have made their Club debut in his time.

==================

He took over a rabble, had to endure the the front office brouhaha of Mr Burns and Fat Tony. Then the stupidity of Ned Flanders who oversaw the 2016 salary debacle.

Since the re-build and the review to give him some support, we have a win/loss record of 60% 2019 onwards.

No he hasn’t got everything right and made plenty of mistakes, but he’s done a pretty darn good job and frankly stuck around in a dysfunctional arrangement where most would have bailed out.

Avenger

Immortal
He’s been our best coach since Brian Smith however I think Daniel Anderson would have been better had he not been sacked by the Pirtek bias and the corrupt board.

Doesn’t come across as the most articulate man but having an over 50% win record and his ability to develop players cannot be discounted. I give his tenure a solid 7/10.

Congrats BA, you are a survivor.

hindy111

Post Whore
He’s been our best coach since Brian Smith however I think Daniel Anderson would have been better had he not been sacked by the Pirtek bias and the corrupt board.

Doesn’t come across as the most articulate man but having an over 50% win record and his ability to develop players cannot be discounted. I give his tenure a solid 7/10.

Congrats BA, you are a survivor.

Who has he developed? It's a myth. A few cheap signings have turned out good. But you're forgetting that so many plodders also didn't.
And also forgetting we went balls deep with 1.2mill for Foran, 750k for Watmough ,500k for Waqa and same for Fergo. Sure Fergo was good for 1yr but the final two garbage for that price.
All the bums he signed this year. And if you look back he has signed heaps of duds.

And let's not forget the latest to add in Hodgson.

hindy111

Post Whore
I look at Cleary. He turned Capewell and Sorrinson into origin level players. They where basicaly journeymen. Not young up and commers with potential like Papali'i,Lane and Marata. Huge difference.

eel01s

Bench
Well done BA. However I think it is time for a new voice (unless of course we win the comp this year!).

Avenger

Immortal
Who has he developed? It's a myth. A few cheap signings have turned out good. But you're forgetting that so many plodders also didn't.
And also forgetting we went balls deep with 1.2mill for Foran, 750k for Watmough ,500k for Waqa and same for Fergo. Sure Fergo was good for 1yr but the final two garbage for that price.
All the bums he signed this year. And if you look back he has signed heaps of duds.

And let's not forget the latest to add in Hodgson.
What happened with Foran could not have been foreseen. Mental health buddy. You can’t predict it. Foran was phenomenal for us before he left.

hindy111

Post Whore
What happened with Foran could not have been foreseen. Mental health buddy. You can’t predict it. Foran was phenomenal for us before he left.

It was well know his back and Hammys where stuffed. Manly knew it. Most of the league world did as well. It was a huge risk and gamble.

strider

Post Whore
It was well know his back and Hammys where stuffed. Manly knew it. Most of the league world did as well. It was a huge risk and gamble.
Im assuming people would have had some idea about his gambling issues and associations too - which would have been a red flag .... though he kept everything together while at manly.

He would have been the perfect player had shit not gone off the rails ...... the worst part of his signing was the initial, we will give you millions even if you leave contract our back stabbing CEO worked out. Maybe that his manager tried that on was another red flag.

Gronk

Staff member
Well done BA. However I think it is time for a new voice (unless of course we win the comp this year!).
If you stop the bus and look under the hood, you will see that the new voices are there.

Wayne Bennett is the patriarch, yet he has has/had Woolf or Demetriou running the team. BA is there in front of the media, but Barrett has his hands all over this side. If you look beyond our injury / matto / dylan shit show, we have slick shape and our F/A shiws that.

I reckon Trent Barrett will be the guy when the time is right and before anyone LOLs at that, they should see how Pay, Barrett etc were thrown under the bus with f**k all support vs Cirraldo and Fitzgibbon who were offered cash, structure and immense support in experienced assistants. Fitzgibbon also walked into a stacked roster. Yes, there’s a reason why Ryles said yeah nah to STG.

Trent will be great for us and maybe BA will hang around Nathan Brown style ? He doesn’t pack any ego in his baggage, so I see no reason why he could not stay and mentor when he leaves on his terms.

Avenger

Immortal
If you stop the bus and look under the hood, you will see that the new voices are there.

Wayne Bennett is the patriarch, yet he has has/had Woolf or Demetriou running the team. BA is there in front of the media, but Barrett has his hands all over this side. If you look beyond our injury / matto / dylan shit show, we have slick shape and our F/A shiws that.

I reckon Trent Barrett will be the guy when the time is right and before anyone LOLs at that, they should see how Pay, Barrett etc were thrown under the bus with f**k all support vs Cirraldo and Fitzgibbon who were offered cash, structure and immense support in experienced assistants. Fitzgibbon also walked into a stacked roster. Yes, there’s a reason why Ryles said yeah nah to STG.

Trent will be great for us and maybe BA will hang around Nathan Brown style ? He doesn’t pack any ego in his baggage, so I see no reason why he could not stay and mentor when he leaves on his terms.
This is your best post this year. I agree with it. See what happens when I call you out every now and then? It’s like a Tommy Raudonikis pre game ritual.

strider

Post Whore
I f**king hope Barrett isnt the future. He had adequate talent at both his prior gigs and failed. I think he is an example of someone who can be an assistant but not the boss.

Fitzgibbon didnt walk into a stacked roster. Players signed there because he signed. And he had several left overs like moylan to try and get going again along with young players who had to be improved.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I f**king hope Barrett isnt the future. He had adequate talent at both his prior gigs and failed. I think he is an example of someone who can be an assistant but not the boss.

Fitzgibbon didnt walk into a stacked roster. Players signed there because he signed. And he had several left overs like moylan to try and get going again along with young players who had to be improved.
Yeah Barrett is perfect where he is now.

Going off his 2 previous head coaching stints he seems like a bloke similar to Ricky who when things go wrong blames everything and looks for excuses.

Man management also has been quite poor I still look at how he through Jackson Hastings and Kyle Flanagan under the bus.

Now hastings may be a dickhead who has a shitload of baggage but how that whole episode was handled has red flags about it for me.

the phantom menace

First Grade
How didn't those amazingly useful "Arthur's wins until 55%" and "Arthur's losses until 50%" threads even pick up on this milestone?!

Staying power in the modern game is overrated, well done Brad Arthur. Now to top off your career with a premiership win please 😋

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
BA has had his ups and downs but he keeps hanging in there, just doing enough to get re-signed

he bleeds blue and gold

hindy111

Post Whore
BA has had his ups and downs but he keeps hanging in there, just doing enough to get re-signed

he bleeds blue and gold

We've had strong squads while he has been here. I don't think he is a terrible coach. Just not a great one. So what's the plan? Just stick with him for another 10yrs? I think moving on is a huge gamble. Higher chance we go backwards then forwards and that's what management is scared of.
But most likely we won't ever be that great under him. It is hard to find a too shelf coach. That's the issue