What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bred not bought ... again

Slackboy72

Coach
Am I the only one who appreciates the irony that for all the players the bulldogs bought this year the one who scores the match winner to knock them out is a Mortimer?
:lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
Nope, me too.

Mortimer Scores!

What's that funny sound from Rookwood? Bullfrog spinning in his grave! :lol::lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
Interesting though the amount of no-names in the Eels side: Lowrie, Robson, Gulavau, Keating, Mortimer, Mannah, Kingston -all playing gangbusters.

And almost all of the side, including Anderson, came up through the Eels junior system. Every player, bar Lowrie & Gulavau, are Eels juniors.

When was the last GF side to have only 2 imports - and both bargain basement buys?

Jock Gibson would be very proud of them.

GO EELS!!!!!!!!!!

miccle

Bench
The 2006 Broncos definitely didn't have too many imports. Good to see a team like the Eels playing so well with supposed "no-names". They'll struggle without Hayne if he's suspended, but every team struggles without their #1 star. Lowrie, Mortimer, Robson & Keating have been particularly impressive IMO.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Interesting though the amount of no-names in the Eels side: Lowrie, Robson, Gulavau, Keating, Mortimer, Mannah, Kingston -all playing gangbusters.

And almost all of the side, including Anderson, came up through the Eels junior system. Every player, bar Lowrie & Gulavau, are Eels juniors.

When was the last GF side to have only 2 imports - and both bargain basement buys?

GO EELS!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant effort but that is a stretch.. Luke Burt was a Newcastle junior, Eric Grothe JR a Wests Tigers jr.. Still there is no doubting that this is an amazing effort.. Do you really need Poore and Shackleton? I reckon Tim Mannah is going to be a fantastic replacement for Cayless and Shackleton is really an ordinary player.

Iafeta

Referee
Definite stretch there. Fuifui Moimoi was a Warriors junior from the Warriors Elite Development Squad who then got picked up by South Sydney. To say he's a Parra junior would be a bit farcical.

Isn't Kingston a Queensland junior who went direct to Cronulla?

Isn't Robson a country boy who went direct to Manly?

manly40gimps0

Juniors

GO EELS!!!!!!!!!!

Dude..Burts a newcastle junior

Big Pete

Referee
I thought Burt was an Eels junior? I mean I seriously remember hearing he signed a massive contract with the club when he was only 15-16?

Either way, it's an impressive effort by Parramatta. The amount of players they bring through to the NRL is impressive and the amount of players who have reinvented themselves at the club is crazy I mean just look through the side.

Jeff Robson - A nuff nuff from Manly absolutely killing it.
Todd Lowrie - The quint essential fringe first grader from Newcastle
Kevin Kingston - A player that got rejected from Cronulla. Enough said.
Joe Galavao - Was playing for East Tigers in the Q Cup because South Sydney didn't want him.

All these players are playing well and the usual suspects from Parra are leading the way.

As for this thread...meh. When the slogan was made, the Bulldogs had been royally screwed over.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Last edited:
Am I the only one who appreciates the irony that for all the players the bulldogs bought this year the one who scores the match winner to knock them out is a Mortimer?
:lol:

Add in the fact that their tries were scored by Morris and Goodwin, both have fathers who played for St George.

Loudstrat

Coach
Canterbury - that slogan aside - have had their fair share of home grown talent.

Melboring, for example, make Easts look like the biggest junior nursery in the world.

Billythekid

First Grade
Canterbury - that slogan aside - have had their fair share of home grown talent.

Melboring, for example, make Easts look like the biggest junior nursery in the world.

We are just getting started with our juniors that's for sure. Of course the game didn't exist in Victoria before we were there so it was pretty much impossible for us to produce juniors this early. The kids who got involved in the game when the storm were brought in would only now be growing up. Our junior teams are going to start having more and more Melbourne players (like this year) and they will start to filter into the top grade.

The roosters have had a lot more time to build up their areas for juniors.

We have still turned a few players careers around. Orford and Limas careers were both going nowhere until the storm got a hold of them. Cronk to wasn't exactly on the fast track to the top level.

There are plenty of other examples. When the storm buy a player they pretty much always end up in career best form.

Brycey

Juniors
The 2006 Broncos definitely didn't have too many imports. Good to see a team like the Eels playing so well with supposed "no-names". They'll struggle without Hayne if he's suspended, but every team struggles without their #1 star. Lowrie, Mortimer, Robson & Keating have been particularly impressive IMO.
Roma, Toowoomba, Ipswich, Mt Isa, Logan, Cairns and New Zealand are not suburbs of Brisbane.

The majority of the Broncos team are imports.

Latest posts