What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brendan Hall

Hi all,

Souths (who doesn’t ‘hate’ the Roosters) and general NRL fan here.
I’ve been collecting footy cards since I was 6 (1982) and make up full sets and sets of players (ie Mortimer, Sterling, Pearce etc). I’ve got hundreds of sets of players. One guy I have is Brendan Hall - he always had a card from 1987-1995, so to get a card you had to be good OR a club man.

So, out of interest, as he played in an era when Easts weren’t entirely the best, but must have been loyal, what kind of player was he? Is there memorable game(s) where he was a stand out? Was he a fan favourite? Anyone know what he does now? There’s not much on the internet about him so thought maybe some of you could enlighten me.

H.H

Juniors
Very good player. Debuted for us in '86 and had a break out year in '87 when we got within a game of the GF.

Real nuggety build, could hit like a forward. Underrated running game, ball skills probably not classic 5/8 standard but yeah a top player and tough as old boots as Artie used to say.

As for stand out games, I recall about 5 weeks into the '87 season we played the Tigers in a top of the table clash at Leichhardt. Our smaller forward pack belted them and even though he was 5/8, I clearly remember being there (I was 16) and him being right amongst it, dishing it out along with the likes of Gillmeister, Patterson and co.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yes Brendon Hall was a very good player for Easts, as HH said he debuted for Easts in 1986, played a few games late in the season of 1986 and then 1987 was his break out season but it was such a year for Easts that year just about everything clicked and they had many exciting close wins.

The next few seasons the Roosters form was well down but Hall still had some good games. Two games later on stick in my mind later on for Hall, one was against Norths at the SFS in 1991, Easts had just scored a try then from the kick off Craig Salvatori took the ball from the kick off, burst straight up the middle of the field then passed to Hall to score a fantastic runaway try.

The other was against Brisbane at the SFS in 1993, Easts trailed 8-26 against the Broncos and then there was a huge comeback and Easts scored 3 tries, Hall was the goal kicker and only kicked 1 out of 5, one he missed was right in front of the post and another was right next to the upright, it was a bitter defeat especially after Jeff Orford had a fair try disallowed when East were behind 22-26 with minutes to go, replays showed it was a fair try and even Brian Smith in the commentary box went oh no that decision was wrong. Our group walked out of a bitterly cold SFS, angry knowing that a game that we didn't have a hope of getting close that we were actually robbed in the end but had Hall kicked the easy ones he missed i would have been happy walking away with maybe a draw.

A brave, nuggety toiler who might’ve had a better career if he wasn’t so loyal to the Roosters who were sadly in decline. Think he stayed involved with the club for a time, post career. I remember wanting to join Easts Leagues in 96/97? and Brendan just happened to be walking by and was happy to witness my application.

H.H

Juniors
Yeah I remember that Brisbane game - I was there as well but I had forgotten Hall's kicking cost us. Geez I was filthy.

I was also at that Norths game in '91 and remember that famous try after Salvo burst through from the kick off.

Yeah I remember that Brisbane game - I was there as well but I had forgotten Hall's kicking cost us. Geez I was filthy.

I was also at that Norths game in '91 and remember that famous try after Salvo burst through from the kick off.
King Salvo only knew one way straight and hard

Wizardman

First Grade
out against the backs, loved his skill but he ran wider than the forwards defended. Not a stupid thing
The only two things that stopped him from being an all-time great was injury and longevity. His Souths stint was not great.

But, he was a cracking forward with the skills of a halfback. I loved watching him play.