What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Seymore ....... The Invisible Man

Honestly didnt notice him till after the game when he was taking the strapping tape off his wrists. All i heard through the game was Maloneys name. We clicked today but it seems Maloney in the link in the team. Should keep with this since weve got 3 in a row or is it time for someone else to come in, maybe Isaac John

shiznit

Coach
if there going to make a change...

Shaun Johnson perhaps??

Surely if there was ever going to be a time to bring the kid in it was when them team is going well...

devoid

Juniors
Yep - three straight wins. Definitely time to bust up the halves (or spell their names correctly).

hitman82

Bench
I remember Seymour making a few nice kicks and putting in some excellent tackles and passes. What I suspect is the game plan involved Maloney getting more involved. I certainly don't remember Brett doing anything wrong, put it that way.
After 3 straight wins, with the team finally looking cohesive, I think we would be MASSIVELY stupid to change the halves.
The only thing I'd consider is using someone off the bench to debut, but even then I'd be hesitant.

ozbash

Referee
there will be no stopping us with 2 attacking halves..

Seymour was great on defense, again

Meth

Staff member
Yep - three straight wins. Definitely time to bust up the halves (or spell their names correctly).

I don't see what all the fuss is about really. I think he's much improved since he came back from the Vulcans. We all know that he's not our long-term half, but he's doing quite nicely at the moment.

Warmess

Juniors
I can see where people are coming from, and I too would like to see Johnson in there at some point. However, even though we hardly see much from Seymour on attack, our attacking structure has been improving more and more as the season gets on. As the 7 he's in charge of all of that organisation, so it seems as if he's doing his job, and that in turn is freeing up Maloney to do his job.

At this point in time I'd be keeping it as is, especially for our next away match. I haven't seen much of the Vulcans, so I can only guess as to Johnsons form by the amount of times I see his name on the try sheet, and it seems he's in line for an NRL debut some time this season.

JoeD

First Grade
I'm no Seymore fan but I agree to break up a winning formula right now would be dumb.

Izz

Bench
I can see where people are coming from, and I too would like to see Johnson in there at some point. However, even though we hardly see much from Seymour on attack, our attacking structure has been improving more and more as the season gets on. As the 7 he's in charge of all of that organisation, so it seems as if he's doing his job, and that in turn is freeing up Maloney to do his job.

At this point in time I'd be keeping it as is, especially for our next away match. I haven't seen much of the Vulcans, so I can only guess as to Johnsons form by the amount of times I see his name on the try sheet, and it seems he's in line for an NRL debut some time this season.
Yep. Since he's returned it's improved tenfold.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He's a short-term signing, and doing a decent job, keep him there, but start bringing John/Johnson through to replace him once his contract's up.

Iafeta

Referee
Not convinced on John. I think what we saw from Issac last year was the crem-de-la-crem as far as he's concerned. He was one of the more ordinary players in that NYC group, I was staggered he made it to first grade TBH.

I concur with most of the responses in this thread. It'd be mighty dumb to make a change in the halves now. I noticed us starting to use the ball a lot more again yesterday, and I thought James and Buster controlled that part of the game well. The one let down as far as the halves go was the first ten minutes of the second half where we needed a bit of organisation. Otherwise I thought they were excellent.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Word is Isaac John trains the house down. I think he's more of a pure 6 anyway so aslong as Maloney is there i wouldn't use him. Plus i'd like to let Shaun Johnson develop a little more. We almost messed up Lockes self confidence by putting him in too early wouldn't want to see the same happen to Johnson.

Word is Isaac John trains the house down. I think he's more of a pure 6 anyway so aslong as Maloney is there i wouldn't use him. Plus i'd like to let Shaun Johnson develop a little more. We almost messed up Lockes self confidence by putting him in too early wouldn't want to see the same happen to Johnson.

No, we messed Locke up by playing him out ov position.

hitman82

Bench
TBH, when Locke was finally debuted at Fullback, he had been in fantastic form on the wing.

Previously, people have been demanding he be made Fullback when he was playing head down and rat sh*t on the wing. Perhaps he would not have gone so well at the time?

I stand by Cleary's logic of: out of form on the wing, no reason to believe he'd do any better at FB.
He waited, and in my opinion it was the right thing to do. Locke was great there on Sunday, certainly not destroyed or lacking confidence by his long wait.

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, like I've said so many times before- he may be a natural fullback, but his form on the wing in 2010 was horrible and many of us perceived that his attitude in 2010 was horrible too. By all accounts, even when he was playing fullback in the Vulcans, his form and attitude stunk. He was hardly screaming for an opportunity in the #1 jersey.

He is there now due to
a) Hohaia's decline in form
b) Fisiiahi's injury
c) The improvement in his form and attitude

And I hope he continues to prosper

_addict

Juniors
Locke is only there for the first two reasons.

The perceived attitude is just that, perceived. The game against the Roosters showed an ample attitude of commitment.

He's not shied away defensively either. Our defense on the right was leaky, but I don't know that it's the wingers fault when we're continually caught short.

However he didn't really come to terms with his role there, nor how best to make himself of use. I hate seeing one-out running when the defense is set and ready for it. How much is poor coaching, and how much is the players inability to grasp what's needed I don't know, but he really should have been there as a support runner far more often.

Last year we got little go-forward and subsequently made no room on the outsides. Under those conditions it's difficult for wingers to do much. Unfortunately when we did manage to get the ball out to him it was usually in those situations. Manu he ain't. He's got no show of bending a defensive line, and that's not usually what the role of a winger is. As a result he's been languishing out there.

Over the last few weeks he's overcome that uncertainty and been much more involved. Also given a sniff of a broken or short line he's been able to use his abilities. Much of that goes to a team that's making some meters. At FB he looked completely in his element and given the scope afforded the role showed his worth.

ozbash

Referee
However he didn't really come to terms with his role there, nor how best to make himself of use.

through no fault of his own he was played out of position (this is the Warriors we're talking about ! ) and he struggled. When you struggle, your confidence takes a hit and your play reflects this. Its a vicious circle.

He is the best fullback in the club, streets ahead of the 'Fish at the same stage..

If he uses his head, he could be there for a long time.

hitman82

Bench
Streets ahead of the Fish? Not really. I'd rate them about on par for the 1 NRL match they have had each so far.

Meth

Staff member
Locke is only there for the first two reasons.

The perceived attitude is just that, perceived. The game against the Roosters showed an ample attitude of commitment.

It is perceived, and perceptions can be wrong, but I think, Rooster's game in CHCH aside (not taking anything away from that effort- I was there- it was exhilarating), he demonstrated a real lack of enthusiasm in 2010. I'm happy to write it off as second year blues

Latest posts