What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith’s 25 years of mediocrity

gregstar

Referee
easily said anonymously.

we're aware of brian smith. who are you?

how about identifying yourself & sources.

Apey

Staff member
I can't see him posting who he is for some reason :lol:

aqua_duck

Coach
Tactically as a coach the guy is fine.

He clearly is intelligent and knows his way around a footy field when it comes to x's and o's on a chalkboard.

But as a bloke? He's an absolute wanker. He is very likeable when you converse with him. He has a very good charm and wit that hides the real jerk he is inside.

He eventually wears out his welcome because he's a divisive personality and loves his mind games with players - most of which have inferior intelligence levels.

He hates having popular leaders amongst his players ( see Buderus ) that can influence his squad more than he can. He hates surrounding himself with staff and assistants who are a threat to his own popularity amongst players. He's fired staff at both the Dragons and Eels because they were too popular amongst the playing group.

He always is well liked and popular at his new clubs, but eventually it all goes to sh*t. Ask his current players what kind of bloke he is, and they all love him.

Ask his former players what kind of bloke he is when it all goes to sh*t? And there's your real answer as to what kind of coach he is. It's also a myth that he bloods lots of juniors. He prefers to avoid them if possible. ( The Knights have had 1 NYC player make their debut in the last 3 years )

He'd make a perfect assistant coach who does up the game plans in a small office for a club with genuine good bloke who was head coach. And as long as he never says a word to anyone else in the club and sticks to the game plans.... Well he'd be perfect at that.
they haven't been good enough and we've had decent team, this year our nyc team has been better and our 1st grade team rubbish yet STone doesn't even look like promoting anyone

oldmancraigy

Coach
It's also a myth that he bloods lots of juniors. He prefers to avoid them if possible. ( The Knights have had 1 NYC player make their debut in the last 3 years )

Is this even factually accurate??

I just looked at current Knights squad members, and here is what I came up with:

Debuts under Smith:

McManus (2007)
Dureua (2007)
Paterson (2007)
Sau (2008)
Taufua (2007)
Uate (2008)

Now that is just current squad members and doesn't take into account anyone who has left. Off the top of my head I know for sure that Walsh debuted under Smith at Newcastle.

I looked up last years squad, and without being thorough can see

Karawana (2007)
Mika (2009)
Natusch (2009)
Tovo (2009)

Admittedly I have no idea how many of those guys played NYC for Newcastle (worth noting that NYC has only been around since 2008); but clearly your post is attempting to portray Smith as a guy who doesn't bring young players into first grade. FACTUALLY INACCURATE.

Why waste the time posting such a bunch of nonsense that is based simply on the fact that you didn't like Smith and have an axe to grind????

Thanks for wasting our time reading it.