What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith

Iafeta

Referee
Motu Tony eh. I remember a game where he was out injured, we were playing Brisbane and held a lead at halftime. He going to Brisbane the next year. They interviewed him at halftime and he said he hoped his boys could come back to get the win. By that he meant Brisbane.

Rich102

Staff member
Brian Smith, one of the most experienced coaches in NRL history, has signed with the Vodafone Warriors as general manager - football.

The Australian was at Mount Smart Stadium on Friday and will join the club permanently in the coming weeks, bringing with him a level of rugby league knowledge and expertise almost unmatched after more than 30 years as a first-grade coach.

His 601 games as an NRL coach is topped by only Wayne Bennett and Tim Sheens while he boasts close to 700 games in all including stints in England.

"The role of GM football is critical to our organisation's progress," said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

"The GM will drive all aspects of football operations and leave no stone unturned in ensuring we have our system right and a very strong enforcement of standards and accountability.

"Challenging the status quo is welcome so a complete understanding of how a football department operates efficiently, transparently and as one unit to deliver the best results for our fans and corporate partners was paramount when we were searching for the candidate.

"In particular, coaching support and mentorship along with recruitment, salary cap strategy and management were heavily weighted. In Brian we're securing a person who has lived and breathed it for more than 600 NRL games at multiple clubs and obviously knows what is required.

"With this structure now in place, Stephen Kearney can concentrate specifically on coaching and set aside to Brian all other football department-related activities. The model we're introducing is used to great effect in many sports."

Smith said he relished the opportunity the role offered.

"I couldn't be more excited about taking up this role," he said.

"The concept of a general manager of football is to give Stephen every opportunity to concentrate on his coaching job. I'll be doing all I can to absorb the administrative workload which can be a real burden and distraction for a coach."

After coaching in lower grades with Newtown and South Sydney in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Smith moved up to first-grade, coaching the Illawarra Steelers for almost 100 games from 1984-1987.

He moved to England where he coached Hull FC from 1988-1990, taking the club to the grand final at Old Trafford in the 1988-1989 season (losing to Widnes).

By 1991 he was back in Australia for a five-season term with St George which included back-to-back grand final appearances against Brisbane in 1992 and 1993.

Two seasons with Bradford included a Challenge Cup final against St Helens which would be a forerunner to the Bulls going on a run of title successes in ensuring seasons.

He returned to Australia, guiding Parramatta for almost 250 games from 1997-2006. During his club record 10 seasons there, the Eels were finals regulars, winning the minor premiership in 2001 and 2005 and making the grand final in 2001.

Smith had two further head coaching appointments with Newcastle and the Sydney Roosters. His last top-level coaching job was with Wakefield in the English Super League in 2015-2016.

BRIAN SMITH
Born: March 14, 1954

Coaching Career:
Illawarra head coach, 1984-1987
Hull FC head coach, 1988-1990
St George head coach, 1991-1995
Bradford head coach, 1995-1996
Parramatta head coach, 1997-2006
New South Wales Country Origin coach, 2007-2009
Newcastle head coach, 2007-2009
Sydney Roosters head coach, 2010-2012
England assistant coach, 2010
United States coach, 2013
Wakefield Trinity, 2015-2016
Serbia technical adviser, 2015
NZ Kiwis technical adviser, 2017
Playing Career: 31 first-grade games, 1973-1979
St George: 14 games, 1973-1974
South Sydney: 17 games, 1975-1979

LU announcement.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Motu Tony eh. I remember a game where he was out injured, we were playing Brisbane and held a lead at halftime. He going to Brisbane the next year. They interviewed him at halftime and he said he hoped his boys could come back to get the win. By that he meant Brisbane.
Savy operator? CEO? pfft HIA.

He has a solid track record and it's good to see ex players involved in the club again. MT has The potential to move into a higher position at some stage. Not that it bothers me but would be good to see a Kiwi CEO again at the Warriors.
Absolutely right mate.

Very well respected across back offices in the ESL.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Ha we’ll have to agree to disagree. If we ruled people out for dumb comments they made 15 years ago well then there’d bugger all options left.

Tony was very effective in his role in Hull
Yeah of course. Totally agree.

Surprising what Iafeta brought up though. I didnt know that.

Iafeta

Referee
It's a comment that has stuck with me for a long time. I've never heard a player before or since hope the opposition can come back to beat their current club. I replayed it a number of times to ensure I was right and that it also wasn't a seemingly nervous error.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
We’ve been lacking a mentor for our coaching team for years - good stuff. Does he know of a prop? How many NRL titles did he win ? whoops

If he's there to do what Frank Ponissi does at the Storm he'll be an asset. If he gets the lines blurred between managing the football department & the coaching (aside from some advising), not so much. There's a reason other clubs fans warn against him so hopefully him & SK work together well.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Hasn't worked in the NRL since 2012.

I know it's still the same sport but most clubs and the league (not really us) have moved forwards in how they do things.

I'm not enthused by this one bit. Corvo I was but Smith, meh. Just another appointment.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Kearney is better with a mentor.

The lads love him and the "process".

Stephen will be Good Cop Brian Smith will be Bad Cop.

264613_154546.jpg

JJ

Immortal
Not a fan Angry

Smith is a great IMO I'm very excited, what he has done previously is amazing

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Na, I was serious.

He will be good for Kearney and the Warriors.

And if the "lads" do not stick to the "process" they will be sent to Smith's office for a please explain.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Na, I was serious.

He will be good for Kearney and the Warriors.

And if the "lads" do not stick to the "process" they will be sent to Smith's office for a please explain.

Will they care?

As I said, he hasn't worked in the NRL since 2012, since a pretty unsuccessful stint with the Roosters (which Trent Robinson turned around straight away). So I'll reserve full judgement, but I'm not enthused.

At the end of the day we still have a below-par propping stock and a 25% coach.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Will they care?

As I said, he hasn't worked in the NRL since 2012, since a pretty unsuccessful stint with the Roosters (which Trent Robinson turned around straight away). So I'll reserve full judgement, but I'm not enthused.

At the end of the day we still have a below-par propping stock and a 25% coach.

Didn't he take the Roosters to a GF in 2010 ?