What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring back the brown!!!!!!

Pomoz

Bench
Its just my opinion but the argument that brown does not sell is a poor one.... anybody ever had a look at the the merchandise numbers that Hawthorn do in the AFL selling the colour Brown.....

Its a different market I agree but people still buy it. The actual design of the jerseys worn on sunday is not great I 100% agree.... but the colours scream Penrith.

A great modern design using the colours Brown and White would sell.

And more to the point the PENNIES would be back!!!!!!!!!
Two things: Firstly brown and yellow is not the same as godawful brown and white; Secondly, we don't want the Pennies back. I certainly do not hanker for the good old days of brown and white, chook raffles, amateurs running the club and us being plucky losers. F*ck that. This team represents the wonderful district of Penrith and the outer West, I want it be strong, successful and run professionally so that you can be proud of it.

The good old days, really weren't.

Royce is King

Juniors
A few things POMOZ

1. I didn't know that if the team ran out in Brown and White that I would see GOULD and WILSON going around selling doubles and meat trays

2. I am pretty sure that it would be a lot easier to sell merchandise with a neutral colour like white over fluro yellow.

The main point in all this is that I am like a heap of Penrith fans that I speak to...... we are all sick to death of our footy clubs colours changing.

just have a look next time you go to a game and see the colours that our fans wear....... pink, allsorts. brown and white, black with any combo of teal ,gold ,rust, green from super league.... ffs

As I said from the start I don't think it will happen but if it did I would be happy

... our own identity would be back.

Pomoz I don't know of any major sporting clubs in this country that change COLOURS, not designs, to make ends meat.

ACTPanthers

Bench
A few things POMOZ

1. I didn't know that if the team ran out in Brown and White that I would see GOULD and WILSON going around selling doubles and meat trays

2. I am pretty sure that it would be a lot easier to sell merchandise with a neutral colour like white over fluro yellow.

The main point in all this is that I am like a heap of Penrith fans that I speak to...... we are all sick to death of our footy clubs colours changing.

just have a look next time you go to a game and see the colours that our fans wear....... pink, allsorts. brown and white, black with any combo of teal ,gold ,rust, green from super league.... ffs

As I said from the start I don't think it will happen but if it did I would be happy

Pomoz I don't know of any major sporting clubs in this country that change COLOURS, not designs, to make ends meat.

So you complain we don't have an identity because of changing colours, and your solution to that is to... change colours... Makes complete sense :roll:

Instead of going back to "the good old days" with the brown strip, why not keep what we have now and build an identity around that? Again, too many people letting nostalgia get in the way.

Royce is King

Juniors
Your right act .... .it makes no sence at all to change colours again....... but guess what mate?????? As of next year teal is gone and s change of colours and identity I'd happening again. So if you think I'm the crazy one go speak to the gurus that made this choice at the club

ACTPanthers

Bench
Teal may be going but the base colour of Black is staying which, IMO, is a good thing - I agree the changing of colour is somewhat annoying, but I honestly think we're heading down the right path now

I also think the gold/brown colour that is replacing the teal is a pretty decent nod to those good old days we all remember so fondly :)

Pomoz

Bench
A few things POMOZ

You point about changing colours is well made. But we have consistently stuck with the black in our main jersey. I agree we have then added all sorts of colours as the trim colour. Mind you, the EPL clubs change their jerseys every year and some of them are pretty significant changes even if they keep the main colour. Their second strips are usually just about anything they can think of. Green, blue, grey, all sorts of awful concoctions. I don't think it matters as long as the primary colours are locked in and used in the main jersey.

I identify Penrith with black and they have won two premierships wearing predominantly black jerseys. I agree it would be good to then say our trim colours are "..." insert colours of choice here.

Pomoz

Bench
A few things POMOZ

Haha. I would love to see that, it might do them good to mix with the fans. The thing about brown and white is that it is associated with the amateur days. We never won anything in those colours. We were a club run like a local Boy Scouts Troop. Spit, sawdust, effort and love, but little science or strategy. At least not on the football side. We conspired to win nothing for 24 years whilst having the largest junior league in Australia. The Broncos knocked it over in under 10 years and kept going.

The leagues club seems to have been run with a lot more inspiration than the football operations. In fact it seemed to be the main focus.

I can see you are not saying you want to go back to the bad old days, but brown and white is too close for comfort for me.

panther.mike

Juniors
Black may be your era but brown is mine.In the brown era everyone put in and we supported them now its 'i,m a member entertain me or i,m out and i,ll go on a forum and whinge'.

Pomoz

Bench
Black may be your era but brown is mine.In the brown era everyone put in and we supported them now its 'i,m a member entertain me or i,m out and i,ll go on a forum and whinge'.
Well, I don't think that's anything to do with the colour of the jersey. That's life in 2015. There are many places to air first world problems and that's what people do. Penrith were in brown and white when I started supporting them, but as somebody pointed out, our years in brown and black are almost 50% black and 50% brown now.

Did you know that Penrith's jersey was the lowest selling in the the ARL and that was one of the reasons the club wanted to change colours? Of course colours are a matter of personal taste, but people voted with their feet and only die hard fans brought the jersey. I'm a die hard. A season ticket holder for 26 years. I have a season ticket this year and I'm not even living in Australia so I can't attend the games. I used to go to away games as well. I've been there for Bruce stadium floggings, Win stadium drubbings, Suncorp annihilations. The trouble is, the club can't be successful just with die hards. It needs the blow ins, the band wagon jumpers and the casual fans who want to be entertained and jump on the internet to whinge if they aren't. We need them to thrive and survive. The jury's already been in. Poo brown ain't gonna cut it.

Don't take it personally, the values you aspire to don't disappear with a change in jersey colour. Royce run just as hard in his black jumper in 91 as he did in his brown jumper in 90 (ask Glen Lazarus). I'm just a practical person. I want a jumper that packs the punters in so my team can survive. The spirit of Penrith is not signified by the colour of the jumper, it comes from the town and the district and what people in it stand for and the values the club stand for.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Licorice all sorts was Penny's best but I grew up with the brown.

Heck I'm not even a Penny supporter but I liked the allsort jersey so much I still wear it.

What are your colours now anyway - black or pink?

Royce is King

Juniors
MR Spock you just nailed my whole point...... what are our colours?... we are the only sporting team that I know of that compromises the teams colours and identity to make money and I don't think its right. A few points

* if people think that the original club colours of brown and white were so disturbing to the younger fans and particularly kids .. then dress the team as a happy meal ffs.

* the people that say brown and white is a constant reminder of how we were back in the days when wins did not come..... have a look at souths.... from 1972- 2013 they did not win a comp.... we won 2.. but the clubs identity and colours never changed because of the worst spell they ever had in the clubs history.... far from it fans are proud to wear the famous colours good or bad and as a brand they are the biggest.

*The argument that over the last 25 yrs we have always had the same primary colour as black and so this represents the panthers....... im pretty sure the Wests Tigers and the Warriors have plenty to say about that

* Do yourself a favour and go on e-bay and look at the Penrith merchandise... dead set our gear looks like we are about 3 or 4 different clubs with the amount of different colours being branded with black...... just a small e.g. yellow ,grey, green, teal , rust, pink ,red ,brown.... and more.....

As I said from the start I don't think the club will revert to Brown and White but this is a colour brand that 100% identifies with Penrith. Next year the club is rebranding again...

I know Black is not being removed and I can only guess that gold is coming in....... I would love to see the gold a little bit darker.... not poo brown as people call it.... just a little bit then I think we could have the best of both worlds coming into our 50th year that would please both new and old

BLACK WHITE and BROWN

ACTPanthers

Bench
MR Spock you just nailed my whole point...... what are our colours?... we are the only sporting team that I know of that compromises the teams colours and identity to make money and I don't think its right. A few points

* if people think that the original club colours of brown and white were so disturbing to the younger fans and particularly kids .. then dress the team as a happy meal ffs.

* the people that say brown and white is a constant reminder of how we were back in the days when wins did not come..... have a look at souths.... from 1972- 2013 they did not win a comp.... we won 2.. but the clubs identity and colours never changed because of the worst spell they ever had in the clubs history.... far from it fans are proud to wear the famous colours good or bad and as a brand they are the biggest.

*The argument that over the last 25 yrs we have always had the same primary colour as black and so this represents the panthers....... im pretty sure the Wests Tigers and the Warriors have plenty to say about that

* Do yourself a favour and go on e-bay and look at the Penrith merchandise... dead set our gear looks like we are about 3 or 4 different clubs with the amount of different colours being branded with black...... just a small e.g. yellow ,grey, green, teal , rust, pink ,red ,brown.... and more.....

As I said from the start I don't think the club will revert to Brown and White but this is a colour brand that 100% identifies with Penrith. Next year the club is rebranding again...

I know Black is not being removed and I can only guess that gold is coming in....... I would love to see the gold a little bit darker.... not poo brown as people call it.... just a little bit then I think we could have the best of both worlds coming into our 50th year that would please both new and old

BLACK WHITE and BROWN

I couldn't give a flying rats arse what the Tigers or Warriors have to say about it TBH
Warriors, IMO are the only club that clash with us, and there's always the alternate/away jerseys to combat that

Current Primary colours
Panthers - Black and Teal
Warriors - Black White and Red
Tigers - Orange Black and White

If we go to Black and Gold I think the diversity is good enough given the Tigers are predominantly Orange with a bit of black and we'll be predominantly Black with a bit of gold

I've said before I agree that we've changed too much over the years - However, I think THIS time there's an actual plan in place to set the identity for a long time to come

IF we were to stick with the Black/Gold combo and really give it some time to become and identity, would you be happy with that? Or, do you really just like the Brown jerseys?

Sime_11

Juniors
kids these days wouldn't know what's good for them even it hit them in the face lol.

I love both the black jersey & the white/brown jerseys. but have only grown up in the Black jersey era.

what the club should do IMO is have a members/fans vote (only Penrith fans) on what the club colours should be and permanently stick to that design!!!

tbh im super jealous of teams like St George who have kept their traditional jersey (that Red V looks amazing always)

the idea mentioned a couple of pages ago about the Black strip as home and the white/brown as an away strip would go down well (with the Pink strip as the WIL round).

I don't have an issue with the Pink jersey but im sick to death of it being our away/2nd strip, the Pink jersey has lost its uniqueness/meaning.

id rather we wear the brown/white jersey for our first few games of the season when its too hot to wear Black (completely understandable why they don't wear the black).

Royce is King

Juniors
ACT I don't know if your taking the piss or not but to answer your question about wanting the brown jersey or not ........ I said at the end of my last post that I know black is not going to change, and as the club is going for change next year, I would like to see BLACK BROWN & WHITE.

Before you blow up when saying Brown and Black clash .... light brown not dark. This way we have our 50 yrs all combined into 3 colours that represent who we are.

Lastly then I WOULD NOT change it. Build on it.

ACTPanthers

Bench
ACT I don't know if your taking the piss or not but to answer your question about wanting the brown jersey or not ........ I said at the end of my last post that I know black is not going to change, and as the club is going for change next year, I would like to see BLACK BROWN & WHITE.

Before you blow up when saying Brown and Black clash .... light brown not dark. This way we have our 50 yrs all combined into 3 colours that represent who we are.

Lastly then I WOULD NOT change it. Build on it.

Nah sorry mate - I seemed to have skimmed that part - Sorry - Definitely not taking the piss, was more trying to see where you're coming from.

FTR, I like the idea in the second part of your post (i.e. Black, Brown and white) and I think they're moving to something similar, being the Black and Gold (which is almost a light brown).

GongPanther

Referee
The original 1967 jersey is our spiritual strip.

Anything after that was a cash-grab used by all teams in all sports to fleece the gullible and idiotic supporters who think they are doing the club a favour by dipping into their pockets year in and year out.:lol:

Doomednow

Bench
ack, white and gold will look ace.

No V for us, thanks. Too many bloody Vs. Not every team has to have one.

Not fussed on teal. As long as it isn't the main colour.

Brown is ok for every second heritage round I guess. The other one should be early 90s strip.

Pink only for WIL thanks