What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane and Newcastle - take a bow

JW

Coach
Firstly, as a Broncos supporter, my congratulations to the Knights for winning the game. Heads up Broncos supporters though - Wayne Bennett summed up beautifully for us - "The operation was a success, but the patient died". Moving on...

I would like to thank all 32 players who participated (sorry Hughesy and BK) for playing this great game the way it was meant to be played.

Despite the closeness of the contest, the atmosphere, and the tense situation, the will of these fine men shone out tonight.

You've done the game proud, Broncos and Knights fans proud, League fans proud, your coach's proud, your families proud - but most importantly, you've done yourselves proud.

Passion personified.

To the players of the Broncos and Knights teams tongight - thank you for that incredible game of Rugby League. Enjoy the win Newcastle, and keep your heads up Brisbane.

Once again, take a bow, you've done the game proud :clap:

Cheers.

I was about to make a new thread, but since ya beat me to it JW, I'll post my thoughts here.

Tonight's game was by far the best of the year so far.

It was so intense and fast-paced, the players were out on their feet nearing the end of regulation time, they were struggling big time but they sucked it up and kept going.

I for one, am shocked about Newcastle. I wrote them off as soon as Joey went down, but I've been proved wrong. Especially to have BK and Hughes go down with injuries after 15 minutes, that's an amazing effort for them.

Kudos to both teams though, it was really a game that neither side deserved to lose, but the golden point rule proves once again why it's deserving in this game IMO. The crowd was awesome, and they loved the game. I'm not a supporter of either team, but boy would I have loved to have been there tonight. They were pumped.

That's why Rugby League is the #1 sport in the world!

thuganomics

Coach
These were gladiators!!

I feel so bad for the broncoes though, they played with as much passion, although get nothing to show for it.

Best game i can remember for many seasons.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pigskin

Juniors
just driven back to Toowoomba after being at the game .... VCR was taping and you guys saying such things mean I'll be up very late tonight

seemed an outstanding game live - both teams gave their ALL

congrats to the Knights - my team lost but nothing to be ashamed about in that one

channel 9 must have got one thing right .... crowd noise coming through the TV .... cause I've gotta say ..... Brisbane crowds although healthy in numbers have forgotten how to watch a game with mongrel

most of the guys in nospam37 forums seem to agree .... but we improving

well done to every player out there tonight - and once again congrats to the Knights .... games like that you can sorta stomach losing

Oink !

Knightmare

Coach
GO THE KNIGHTS! It's reasons like these that I support the Knights. IN the face of adversity, we stuck it out and refused to die, even after BK and Boozey bit the dust early on. We never gave up the ghost, even when the Broncos appeared to get a roll-on midway through the game, then for Gidley to get us home in extra-time- what a night! Newcastle will go far this season, mark my words. At a time like this, Newcastle have revealed their character, their strenght and their resolve, which have been existant since the very beginning. :D :D :D :clap:

ironcross

Juniors
How awesome! I thought we (Newcastle) were gone 10 minutes before full time, but Danny Buderus's try gave them the energy to get over the line.

This is Newcastle 3rd win in a row. Last week was classed as one of the best games by Newcastle ever, and tonight it's the same all over again.

Congrats to both teams. It's certainly a good time to be a Newcastle fan :)

thuganomics

Coach
its GREAT to be a knights fans right now. A great Courageous performance. :clap:
15 players the whole game basically.

Dragon

Coach
Trust a Broncs fans to make a "congrats to Brisbane thread"

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!!!!

Brisbane cant play..... :p

Just jokes....great game. I honestly though i was seeing 13 Wayne Bennets run out at the start, they looked so focussed, determined, not to mention expressionless ;-)

Great game by both, bad luck Brissy.

ironcross

Juniors
One of the best things about Newcastle so far this season is, that they have only had one terrible game against the Dragons. Every other game has been a good effort, and come down to the wire.

Kiwi

First Grade
It was a great game, when you consider who was missing from both sides.

Lockyer, B Berrigan, S Berrigan, Tony, Seymour, Petero, Meyers from the Broncos and Johns, O'Davis, Simpson, Tahu ( more i'm sure ) from the Knights we still saw one hell of a contest.

As a Broncos fan I won't complain about the Ryan try that was wrongly called a double movement, instead I'll say congrates to both teams, what a game, cause thats all the match deserves, praise. Well done to the Knights on a gusty win, and well done to the Broncos one a gutsy performance aswell. Top game and worthy of a THATS TOPS.

PB

Bench
When the referee can have as terrible a game as Simpkins did, yet the game still be so exciting and full of skill full moments, it is a testiment to the players involved.

Heck not even the Passionate Newcastle supporting Channel 9 commentators could put me off last night.

Great game, hats off to all involved. Was particularly happy for Casey M. having a pearler of a game. Should be an Origin starter IMO.

thickos

First Grade
Both teams give me the shits but top game, enjoyed every moment. Top class game with both periods of attack and defence came to the fore. :clap: I wish my team could play with that intensity :cry:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
The depressing thing about that quality game being on a Friday is that it has ruined the weekend.

Nothing that the other 12 participating sides this round can serve up will meet that quality.

Stagger eel

Staff member
2 words

"simply orgasmic"

it was brilliant theatre and for the 32 players who played for most of the match, congratulations!!

The thing about that game is that that everyone including BK and Hughes had their own little moment to remember. and that game last night will go down in rugby league folklaw, as one of the best premiership matches of all time.

everyone remembers "Sattlers broken jaw" , "Langlands white boots" , Ken Wilsons field goal for the 1 nil win, Alberts try, Grothes try Scott Sattlers tackle,

that game had half a dozen of those moments!!

gaterooze

Bench
I'm still on a high from last night. Two superb performances from two supposedly understrength teams. Everyone played out of their skins at at such a high level of quality. Awesome. Simply awesome.

Two weeks back we had a classic game between the Roosters and the Dragons... I think this one's got it beat. What a great season.

btw congrats to the Brissie crowd -- big number and great atmosphere!

Shifty

Juniors
Congratulations to:

Newcastle for a very gutsy win. They made their intention clear in their first set of six and were able to outlast the Broncos on the night despite being reduced to 15 men through injury

Brisbane who were gallant in defeat and didn't let setbacks put them off their game.

The crowd for the excellent atmosphere.

Every player on the field for a fantastic effort.

Kurt Gidley, George Carmont, Danny Buderus(especially that pass) in particular for the Knights.

Tonnie Carroll, Gorden Tallis, Casey McGuire in particular for the Broncos.

Best game of the season so far, edging out the Roosters V Dragons game.

Latest posts