What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bombers Bid

hellteam

First Grade
If they had any sense at all they would change the name. Whenever they post on Facebook, news sites etc 90% of the comments are about how bad the name is. The Gold Coast bid changed their name, hopefully this mob do the same

RoosTah

Juniors
If they had any sense at all they would change the name. Whenever they post on Facebook, news sites etc 90% of the comments are about how bad the name is. The Gold Coast bid changed their name, hopefully this mob do the same

I tend to think sides should try to lean on something locally relevant in terms of name, but bombers sounds just as good as Broncos to me and their logo looks pretty slick. I certainly think it sounds better than 'Brothers' (which I don't really get, as you'd be favouring one local Brisbane cup side over others).

That said, "Bombers" would have made more sense if there had once been an F1-11 manufacturing facility in or near Brisbane.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Are the Bombers on a cash for comment plan? They are always named in articles like they ARE the only option.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Apart from the Brothers (which just sounds silly), what are the other options?

You write off a bid because IYO it has a silly name? :roll:

There is also the mythical Western Corridor one. And Redcliffe have signaled their interest for years.

That isnt the point. If there is a call for expansion bids, other viable players may arise.

There should be clear air for that so we get the best result. Not just a gimmicky Broncos clone.

These journalists do our game a disservice but directly linking a 2nd Brisbane team with this Bombers bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given today's comments it's all mute, there is unlikely to be any new team anytime in the next 8 years! No wonder our great game is still a minor sporting blip on the world scene, can't even grow it in the country it is strongest.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Given today's comments it's all mute, there is unlikely to be any new team anytime in the next 8 years! No wonder our great game is still a minor sporting blip on the world scene, can't even grow it in the country it is strongest.

Can only assume the amount of money that the AFL have pissed up a wall on the Giants and Suns with minimal return has made the NRL wary of expansion...

5K watching NRL in Perth doesn't do much to help either...

FlameThrower

Bench
Looks like this thread will be shutdown...frankly the NRL has dragged this out for over a decade now, and what all the potential bidders should do now is put out a statement that no more time effort and money will be put into this. the NRL are not serious about expansion...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can only assume the amount of money that the AFL have pissed up a wall on the Giants and Suns with minimal return has made the NRL wary of expansion...

5K watching NRL in Perth doesn't do much to help either...

As opposed to 6k in Canberra?

In case you missed the nrl's record nib crowd in Perth a couple of months ago........

Buns.jpg

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

*moot* ;-)

I honestly think he's just keeping his cards close to his chest. The NRL might want Bris2&Perth but they'll be buggered if they won't get Fox to overpay for that 5th PayTV game if they can.

The ARLC have been doing this since they came in and they did it again today, no-one knows what they're thinking or planning until they release a press statement.

I'd be pretty confident that we'll have the WCP playing in the NRL sometime in the coming deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm sggesting the NRL should not hold the growth of the game back because of bleeting clubs who can't develop a fanbase big enough to make them sustainable.

RoosTah

Juniors
How much would Perth actually cost the NRL per year ?

$15m ??

Well given the grants to the clubs will raise to around $12 million with the new deal, that wouldn't be be terribly expensive.

Perth has been built up steadily over a number of years now in a fairly patient way and given their increasingly strong turn out to games that are given to them, you'd have to say they've proven themselves hungry enough for a side.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Well given the grants to the clubs will raise to around $12 million with the new deal, that wouldn't be be terribly expensive.

Perth has been built up steadily over a number of years now in a fairly patient way and given their increasingly strong turn out to games that are given to them, you'd have to say they've proven themselves hungry enough for a side.

Looking at how much extra money the AFL puts into its Expansion teams in "hostile" areas as a guide, I would suggest they need more than an extra $3Million a year....

I would expect they would need in the vicinity of around $8-10Mil extra a year for promotion/marketing ( including cash for positive comment in the local media like the AFL does in Sydney), junior development and the like...

But heck, they have got the money to spend so why not do it?

RoosTah

Juniors
Looking at how much extra money the AFL puts into its Expansion teams in "hostile" areas as a guide, I would suggest they need more than an extra $3Million a year....

I would expect they would need in the vicinity of around $8-10Mil extra a year for promotion/marketing ( including cash for positive comment in the local media like the AFL does in Sydney), junior development and the like...

But heck, they have got the money to spend so why not do it?

Supposedly Smith commented on expansion that when they do the modelling in terms of costs it shows going from 17 is virtually the same as going to 18, so that's likely what they'd do.

If they went down that path I think Perth is a given, and Brisbane probably is too, but further down the track I'd like to see teams in Wellington and Christchurch too, as it'd strength NZ more generally, which would both improve the quality of the international season AND increase the value of the NZ TV contracts.

docbrown

Coach
Supposedly Smith commented on expansion that when they do the modelling in terms of costs it shows going from 17 is virtually the same as going to 18, so that's likely what they'd do.

And also cost neutral when you factor in the additional income coming into the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Time to bend Fox over and make them pay for expansion! That ninth game is going to be critical to Fox having any hope of getting NRL subscribers.