What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane II v The CC

Dogs Of War

Coach
That's interesting. Turning Origin into a tri-series featuring NZ as well would be a better idea...

The more I think of the tri series, the more I dislike the idea. We just recreate the same problem down the track with some players not able to play for any of the teams. As well you dilute the appeal of our cash cow.

Best thing is to create a 4th team for all the other players who don't qualify for any of the others. Eventually we will be seeing some wa and Vic juniors coming through, add the poms and some of the png and other pacific islanders, and I think you can create a great contest.

Best thing is that nsw v qld doesn't need to ever takes games out of state again, as melb, Perth and nz would be able to have there own version of origin. As well you possibly create another ratings winner, and that can only be a good thing. Also then you can have all this on stand alone weekends, Friday night for the nz v barbarians match, Saturday night for SoO. Sunday is to recover, though I'm sure something could be thought of to fill the Sunday time slot. Maybe u20's versions of both contests? One for foxtel and one for free to air?

Last edited:

Bro Bear

Juniors
Best thing is to create a 4th team for all the other players who don't qualify for any of the others. Eventually we will be seeing some wa and Vic juniors coming through, add the poms and some of the png and other pacific islanders, and I think you can create a great contest.

Yes a good idea but Melbourne has been in the comp now for about 15 years - yet not one junior in their NRL team. So if WA gets admitted how long do we wait for Victorians and WA to have their own juniors - 20 to 30 years!!

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yes a good idea but Melbourne has been in the comp now for about 15 years - yet not one junior in their NRL team. So if WA gets admitted how long do we wait for Victorians and WA to have their own juniors - 20 to 30 years!!

Widdop is one, but I get your point. That said, the whole idea of a Barbarians team is to include all those who don't qualify for another team. It would still be the team that represents WA and VIC, even if no-one from those states makes the squad. You just need to ensure the marketing is correct, and know that like SoO, it will take 10 years to get the support that made Origin special. Hopefully in that time some Vic and WA guys do come through the ranks, and more English players are attracted to come over to grab some of the bonus cash that comes from playing this other series like SoO.

flippikat

Bench
Maybe in 1988. But ever since then the NSWRL/ARL/NRL has been trying to become a national league.

Why do you think the NSWRL wrote up a paper aiming at a 14 team national "Super League" in 1992?
Why did they set up the NSWRL as a second division state league?

The reality for the game is:

1. NSW has 7.5M people and 10 NRL teams.
2. Qld has 4.5M people and has 3 NRL teams. It will be bigger than Victoria within 20 years.
3. Both are equally important NRL markets.

4. NZ is 4.4M people and 1 NRL team. Its the 3rd biggest RL market in the Southern Hemisphere.
5. Melbourne has the 2nd biggest TV market and 2nd biggest sponsor market.
6. Perth has a unique TV timeslot, and the 4th biggest TV market - any WA growth is a bonus.

Damn straight.

I'm a Warriors fan in Wellington - I can only sigh when I hear of Sydney fans that can't even be bothered to cross the city to support their own team.

Before me and my wife started a family, we could manage to fly up to Auckland once a year for a Warriors game.. we don't any longer - it's enough of a mission taking the baby out of the house, let alone to Auckland, plus budget doesn't allow.

Sure I could just go to Westpac Stadium & see the Hurricanes in the Super Rugby, and I have occasionally - same with the Phoenix.

But I'm a League man, that's my game.. and to be honest I'd welcome ANY Wellington-based NRL team (new or relocated) with open arms.

The game is bigger than just NSW, and in the future it will be FAR bigger than just NSW.

If the commission get it right, we can have the best of both worlds - great coverage of Australia as per the AFL, AND decent representation for New Zealand, as per the Super Rugby - probably not 5 NZ teams, but 2-3 seems reasonable.

Perth Red

Post Whore

There's 5wa Jnrs in 1st grade and 9 in Toyota cup, so not very long I'd suggest for WA players!

Latest posts