What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos re-sign Henjak

lucablight

First Grade
He's not imo, i have the same question marks over him
Good coaching or was Fui and Hayne's individual form making up for poor coaching?

We'll find out next year, no way those guys play to that level again next year.

Fui has been playing as well as he did in 09 every year since he 2005. He's only getting the recognition for it now.

Loudstrat

Coach
Parra got to a GF on a roster which isn't quarter to what the Broncos had.
Had the player of the year, arguably the best attacking prop in the last decade, and a string of talented up and comers that no one bar the premiers and minor premiers could get near.

Henjack had a side that lost almost all it's starting forward pack.

Any coach getting dusted up to the tune of 56-0 to the 09 Raiders has some question marks on him imo
granted it turned thier season around but as others have stated, Wayne never needed that sort of result to get things clicking... why credit him with the change in form and not the inital slump

Wayne had those sorts of results and rarely dragged them out the way Henjack did. I recall us putting 60 on them in the last round a few years back.

alexc

f**k some of you guys are talking so much sh*t in this thread I don't even know where to start.

I agree with what loudstrat said (cant believe I am agreeing with this guy btw), Parra had a f**king awesome side they are just lucky they didn't have to pay overs for duds like Joel Clinton

Secondly, Wayne Bennett always had rollercoaster seasons with massive floggings, last year was nothing new in that regard.

Lastly I think the broncos were playing some of their best football ever at the start of the season 2009. Working up the middle with the Lockyer-Hodges-merkin-Wallace 4some was almost unstoppable for a bit. Don't ask what happened in the middle of the season but like I said.. that is nothing new for the broncos. Wayne bennett was the rollercoaster master.

Ivan is the least of the broncos fans worries. I would be worried about how wallace and lockyer are going to go without karmichael and hodges. As much as I hate to admit it, Karmichael was a big part of the broncos. Israel is a good player but he is no ball player like Karmichael and he can't create some sh*t like Hodges or Inglis.

On a ligher note, this is one of the many things I am looking forward to in 2010. I probably think this every year but this is shaping up to be a very close and interesting season.
- melb new stadium
- para with the epic signings
- roosters new playmaker and coach
- broncs without merkinmichael and hodges
- wests with benji finally remembering how to play, tom shines finally making and good coaching move, morris f**king off
- sharks after the worst off field season for any club ever
- titans with greg bird
- knights new coach + drugs scandal
- will saints fail on second year?
- souths with the great signings
- NQ and Warriors to fight for the spoon (my opinion of course)
- Can the dogs improve?
- Penrith.... na nothing
- Raiders... Same story different season
- Manly squad to get hit by a bus? We can only hope.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Had the player of the year, arguably the best attacking prop in the last decade, and a string of talented up and comers that no one bar the premiers and minor premiers could get near.

Henjack had a side that lost almost all it's starting forward pack.

Wayne had those sorts of results and rarely dragged them out the way Henjack did. I recall us putting 60 on them in the last round a few years back.

It should be based more on expectations Pre-09 and this is what I recall the general consensus was.

Despite their forward stocks, Brisbane were always considered a sure bet for the eight given their collection of classy players in Hunt, Folau, Hodges, Lockyer, Wallace and Thaiday. Along with the success of their Under 20's side and the signing of promising talents in Te'o and Setu the boys were primed for a big 09.

On the other hand the Eels weren't expected to achieve much. They'd finished 08 as one of the competition's biggest dissapointments and given the lack of direction Hagan had given the club it was assumed he'd left the Eels and Anderson in a ditch. Hayne was far from the player of the year at that stage and Moi Moi was still a novelty act who was a sloppy defender and didn't have the fitness to be considered among the select few props of the year.

While both players were among your strong suits I believe back then the only thing that was made of you guys was the form of Mateo who had an extradinary 2008 and the possible re-emergence of Inu who had a dissapointing 2008 with injury but had shown on occasion what he was capable of.

The Eels were never considered top 8 contenders and many thought 2009 would be the year the Eels board would receive the message and get rid of the dead wood in the player roster and promote/sign stars of the game.

Gaba

First Grade
Good coaching or was Fui and Hayne's individual form making up for poor coaching?

even a brad fittler coach team would have gotten a side to the finals with the teams eels came up agaisnt, depleted sharks,warriors, out of form knights,tigers and depleted panthers

It wasnt Anderson's coaching what got the eels into finals

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It should be based more on expectations Pre-09 and this is what I recall the general consensus was.

Despite their forward stocks, Brisbane were always considered a sure bet for the eight given their collection of classy players in Hunt, Folau, Hodges, Lockyer, Wallace and Thaiday. Along with the success of their Under 20's side and the signing of promising talents in Te'o and Setu the boys were primed for a big 09.

The Eels were never considered top 8 contenders and many thought 2009 would be the year the Eels board would receive the message and get rid of the dead wood in the player roster and promote/sign stars of the game.

I was expecting points galore from Brisbane with the signings of Teo, Setu and Folau. Brisbane in my mind was a well oiled machine, had a few hiccups in the last few years of Wayne but they were still mostly consistant in the way they played their footy. 09 IMO was the begining in the fall of the Broncos. Hopefully their stars and money allow them to remain successful.

08 yeah, I had Parra winning the comp that year, honestly thought the stars were aligned for it. Good news is that in 09, the board did get a message, but not to get the players out, but to just get out. 09 was a very very successful year for Parramatta in a few ways and 2010 is looking even better. But we've learned to not expect too much.

Loudstrat

Coach

even a brad fittler coach team would have gotten a side to the finals with the teams eels came up agaisnt, depleted sharks,warriors, out of form knights,tigers and depleted panthers

It wasnt Anderson's coaching what got the eels into finals
Nice omission of Melbourne and Canterbury numbnuts. And how were Penrith depleted?

Broncodr01d

Juniors
The right move. We crave stability at the top, this secures it for at least the short term.

Ivan Henjak proved that he can coach in the NRL last season. Anyone suggesting otherwise is a fool. The club was on a hiding-to-nothing mid season and we turned it around. Henjak played a big role in that and got us one win from the Grand Final - underachieved? I don't think so, stupid comment.

This was a man taking over a legend, there were always going to be hiccups. FFS, early in the season most were calling us 'Premiership Favourties'. The, via a couple of key injuries and Origin time, we slumped. Nothing new this sided of the border. Henjak and the senior players rallied, we regrouped and were one of the form teams heading in to finals. We showed character. Cullen loved it, Henjak was rewarded.

Anyway, the fact remains Henjak will always be in the shadow of Bennett and until he can secure a premiership, whatever he does both from supporters and does observing from afar, it will be "short of expectations". No one in the NRL envies the job of Henjak.

Joker's Wild

Coach
They also beat the Dragons, the Minor Premiers, in the 1st round of the semis.

Parra were a sleeping giant for half the season. If anything they underachieved for 10-12 rounds

Good move Broncos.

Less successful Sydney clubs are the ones who like to change coaches every couple of years just because the M2 has too much traffic on it or some other fair weather excuse.

Broncos success if build around stability.

\/ thanks

Last edited:

johns_reds

First Grade
Good move Broncos.

Less successful Sydney clubs are the ones who like to change coaches every couple of years just because the M2 has too much traffic on it or some other fair weather excuse.

\/ thanks

Agree totally, Broncos have been a club that has always been stable, no need to change that direction now. i find it quite funny some of the fans such as newcastle fans are calling for ivan's head yet forget how crap thier own team is because of instability of coaching staff

innsaneink

Referee
Good move Broncos.

\/ thanks

You dickhead.
Changing coaches is not a ''sydney thing"
Tigers have had their coach far too long, Hasler been at manly a while now, before last year Brown at Saints for quite a while

Latest posts