What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bruce Gordon take-over still on .

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
So our club is worth 20 million but we are in debt nearly a third of that? And the Ceo is supposed to make us money?...right... Longest serving, the writing is on the wall for this board and ceo; it rhymes with muck toff.

The biggest footy clubs have done well with big backers. Broncs, cows, storm, all Murdoch owned. Rabbits, rich Hollywood dude owned. Roosters, rich latte drinkers. They are the successful ones in the last ten years. This may be bad, but we are already there so onwards and upwards.

MilanDragon

Juniors
"WIN will also appoint the chairman almost certainly ending Warren Lockwood’s long-time position as Dragons chair"

Very good that Lockwoods reign is closing. Nervous to see the outcome of the new look board. Interesting times.

Thread title is very strange

Wanted to differentiate it from the Bruce Gordon one already going.

BennyV

Referee
Wanted to differentiate it from the Bruce Gordon one already going.
Fair enough, but ultimately still Bruce Gordon pulling the strings.

The casting vote thing is very interesting, as is the 3 new board members. Keep in mind, it's WIN TV supplying the board members, not Illawarra, so that's a plus. And if those board members and chairman decide that the CEO is not meeting his KPIs (based on the whole $6.6m debt thing) well...y'know...

The St George members have done such a bang up job to.

The Illawarra board members are shit and the Dragons are just as bad.

Both sets have basically driven the club into the ground and hopefully a change will fix things but it may not be the outcome some will like.

John moz

Juniors
If you have no st.george you have no history or brand . We have st.george fans all over the world.No st.george no merger and the nrl wouldn't want that .

Some people on here need to attend a relaxation/meditation seminar.

The JV, the colours, the St. George name and the principles of the merger ain't goin anywhere. We are now and forever will be Saint George Illawarra.

As an EX Steelers fan, now Dragons til I die, I believe I believe that the Illawarra side of the JV could easily justify being vindictive given the childish attitude and pretentiousness of ex Saint George fans from 1999-2010. I think BG is probably a bit more grown up/astute as a business person than that though.

Remember circa 2003/2004? The Illawarra Steelers inaugural and only heritage game vs Penrith. It had to be rebranded as Illawarra heritage round because a letter writing/email campaign from St George supporters claimed this was an attack on their identity.

Hopefully Gordon can restore the Illawarra as an important part of the JV.
- 6 games at WIN
- White bands on the arms of the alternate strip.
- Saint George Illawarra to thrive
That's all we want

Reactions: Qdf

SaintHarry

Juniors
Te
No. We don't have a 7 million dollar debt.
Daily Telegraph loves to embellish figures regarding this. Daily Telegraph are full of shit.[/QUOTE

Tell me about it everytime i read about out "debt" it goes up a million bucks ...we'll be 10 million in debt mid next week the actual debt figure sit just under 4 million .

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Does anyone else find it highly curious that the Dragons are (allegedly) mired in horrific debt when the Club's major sponsor is one of Australia's top four financial institutions?

This so called 'fact' seems both mischievous and paradoxical.

SaintHarry

Juniors
Does anyone else find it highly curious that the Dragons are (allegedly) mired in horrific debt when the Club's major sponsor is one of Australia's top four financial institutions?

This so called 'fact' seems both mischievous and paradoxical.

While sponsors have been paying us we have been loosing money at the leagues clubs and home ground venues.. i know for a face the club lost over 100k a few weeks ago when we played the titans at kogarah sponsors dont cover that loss hence the debt

SaintHarry

Juniors
F
While sponsors have been paying us we have been loosing money at the leagues clubs and home ground venues.. i know for a face the club lost over 100k a few weeks ago when we played the titans at kogarah sponsors dont cover that loss hence the debt

Fact*

rasaint

Juniors
OK all might not agree but NRL processes and institutions don't help.

We had a game against Broncos as an example with very low crowd. I didn't attend and I know other dragons are disillusioned because

Frizzel out suspended for that ridiculous touch the ref 'clap down'. Notice ' touch the ref ' galore since then but no further suspensions; only excuses basically saying ' that's accidental/ that's incidental' . Unless it's a Neville nobody I reckon you won't see this called again.

Leeson outed 3 weeks with a heavy grading for the Tim Grant issue. Really, Tim ducked forward just before the collision to drive forward aka poke the head through and gain more metres. Yes Leeson's shoulder hit Tim but not intentional. Broncos game and Matthews absolutely coat hangered but no action taken. BTW no action should have been taken it was accidental but no concession by the famous Match Review Committee for Leeson.

Joel Thompson slapped a doggies 2nd rower on the face in a tackle and got done, whilst the world champ tripper got nothing with low grading.

Dugan on sideline for past month with busted jaw from dirty play.. Bad luck dragons.

All this probably lost another 5000 paying crowd members; that's just one game. I really question the whole grading thing...very subjective IMO.

SaintHarry

Juniors
OK all might not agree but NRL processes and institutions don't help.

We had a game against Broncos as an example with very low crowd. I didn't attend and I know other dragons are disillusioned because

Frizzel out suspended for that ridiculous touch the ref 'clap down'. Notice ' touch the ref ' galore since then but no further suspensions; only excuses basically saying ' that's accidental/ that's incidental' . Unless it's a Neville nobody I reckon you won't see this called again.

Leeson outed 3 weeks with a heavy grading for the Tim Grant issue. Really, Tim ducked forward just before the collision to drive forward aka poke the head through and gain more metres. Yes Leeson's shoulder hit Tim but not intentional. Broncos game and Matthews absolutely coat hangered but no action taken. BTW no action should have been taken it was accidental but no concession by the famous Match Review Committee for Leeson.

Joel Thompson slapped a doggies 2nd rower on the face in a tackle and got done, whilst the world champ tripper got nothing with low grading.

Dugan on sideline for past month with busted jaw from dirty play.. Bad luck dragons.

All this probably lost another 5000 paying crowd members; that's just one game. I really question the whole grading thing...very subjective IMO.

I was thinking the same thing earlier.. punishment should be handed down based on the injury .. broken jaw should get 3 weeks and that world grub wieght champion should of atleast copped 2 weeks

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
No. We don't have a 7 million dollar debt.

Then how much is it and are we on track to profitability in 2017 as Doust claimed we would be?

We're one of the few clubs in debt to the NRL so things aren't going well by anyone's standards.

The board are hiding behind corporate layers to avoid making the true financial picture known.

duck

Juniors
Then how much is it and are we on track to profitability in 2017 as Doust claimed we would be?
I know it isn't anywhere near that figure. Will we be debt free by 2017? Let's wait until 2017 shall we?

We're one of the few clubs in debt to the NRL so things aren't going well by anyone's standards.
You are correct. We're one of the few clubs in debt to the NRL.
But are you suggesting we're one of the few clubs in debt, period? Plenty of clubs are in debt. That's business. The other clubs got their loans elsewhere.

Stop believing what you read in the papers.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
NO WIN YET IN TAKEOVER TALK

WIN Corporation’s desire to buy 50 per cent of St George Illawarra has hit its first hurdle as negotiations with the NRL stall.

The stumbling block is how WIN will repay the $6.6 million the Dragons owe the NRL.

The NRL has scoffed at WIN’s proposal to repay the debt in contra. That plan would have involved the NRL scaling down the debt in return for advertising slots on the WIN network.

WIN’s recent programming restructure has lessened the NRL’s willingness to play ball.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/33e2a1777e3f6e96d789cd61c1799272

Carlton

Juniors
NO WIN YET IN TAKEOVER TALK

WIN Corporation’s desire to buy 50 per cent of St George Illawarra has hit its first hurdle as negotiations with the NRL stall.

The stumbling block is how WIN will repay the $6.6 million the Dragons owe the NRL.

The NRL has scoffed at WIN’s proposal to repay the debt in contra. That plan would have involved the NRL scaling down the debt in return for advertising slots on the WIN network.

WIN’s recent programming restructure has lessened the NRL’s willingness to play ball.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/33e2a1777e3f6e96d789cd61c1799272

Why do people think that the St George "brand" will be safe? WIN's advertising revenue comes from south of Sydney, St George supporters living in England will not be advertising on WIN. The Illawarra brand however would seem to fit the WIN business more advantageously.

Club constitutions can be changed so any safe guards can be amended if the correct process is followed. Remember Mr Doust and co managed to change the voting rules quite successfully.

I still don't understand who owes the NRL, if its the Joint Venture then how did the need for the loans arise and why doesn't the Leagues club provide more than the pittance it contributes at the moment.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
So the NRL are stalling because they wan't their money back quicker and playing hard ball. Surely if they are guarantee to get it back by WIN it is far better option than what they have got in agreement with the current St George CEO? If they think DOust is going to be able to come up with a plan without WIN on board they have rocks in their head.

OLD FART DRAGON

Juniors
Saints name is a drawcard .when the super league battle was on .foxtel wanted saints.as they said .they are the jewel in the crown.and without saints on board it was never going to work.

Latest posts