What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bugger.... Cully's off to Ireland

Te Kaha

First Grade
July 3, 2003

RECORD All Blacks tryscorer Christian Cullen has quit New Zealand rugby to sign with Irish province Munster.

Munster's official website confirmed the three-year deal today, with Cullen to join the club at the end of this year.

Munster originally targeted Wallabies fullback Chris Latham but his move was blocked by the Australian Rugby Union.

Cullen, 27, was unwanted by the All Blacks selectors this year and looked unlikely to make the World Cup squad.

He is the leading All Blacks Test tryscorer with 46 and the most capped All Blacks fullback with 58 test appearances since his debut against Samoa in 1996.

"I am really thrilled to be coming over to play with Munster. I think it's a great opportunity to play with one of the most successful sides in European rugby," Cullen was quoted as saying on the website.

"One of the major attractions for me was seeing them perform in Europe. Everything about the move is exciting, the supporters, the people involved.

"They are without question one of the best sides in Europe and I'm really looking forward to joining them."

Cullen's omission from the All Blacks after an excellent Super 12 season was the biggest talking point of the early part of the international season.

Cullen played for Wellington against Hawke's Bay on Tuesday but is likely to be overlooked in favour of Canterbury's Ben Blair in the World Cup squad.

Former All Blacks captain Taine Randell, another leading player out of favour this year, is reported to be in talks with several English clubs.

The naming of the All Blacks' Tri-Nations squad on Sunday may also hasten other New Zealand players to sign overseas deals.

Munster coach Alan Gaffney said the deal is "wonderful news".

"Christian is not just world class he's also a really lovely guy who will fit in superbly well here," Gaffney said.

"He is truly a player of enormous stature in the world game and I think it's a huge tribute to Irish rugby but in particular to Munster that he has opted to continue his career with our squad. A great player deserves a great squad."

Cullen will join his former Manawatu team-mate Jason Holland who is a first team regular at the club.

Agence France-Presse

AliN

Live Update Team
Leaves a bitter taste in my mouth for some reason..

Good luck to him, he deserves it :)

guten_targ

Juniors
How the All blacks and namely one NZ Rugby union can give up on NZ's Greatest Try scorer at just 27 years of age is beyond me.

How Ben Blair can be rated ahead of Cully is a joke and just goes to show how much influence Deans and the Canta Blacks have in the All Blacks.

Canterbury styled play is not All Black styled play and if the All Blacks continue to play it, the World cup will not come to NZ.

Macdonald is injury prone and should have been rested this year instead of playing Rugby, he is not in the same class as Cullen is.

I dont like Rugby these days because of the influences of certain people and the constant change of Rules which enable other teams to catch up..Thank god there is the NRL and Rugby League.

AliN

Live Update Team
Yes I'd rather watch a good game of league than a game of union dominated by the whistle as we've seen lately.

Still a close game in union is great. :roll:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It's not Cantabrians keeping Cullen out of the AB's, it's Aucklanders, and the way Muliana, Howlett and Rocokoko are playing I don't really miss him.

Well, I saw Cullen play in Toronto today for the Maori. He scored an impressive try, but I didn't think he stood out overall. I was wondering as Iwatched if he felt a bit let-down to be playing in a small setting compared to the Tests that he's used to playing in. I could be all wrong and a more knowledgeable person might say he played very well. I could tell he was a class player, but I thought maybe he wasn't going all out.

Anyway, I'm sure it would be hard for him to replace Muliana now since he's playing so well, but is there still a chance Cullen could get on the AB WC squad as a reserve, before he goes off to Ireland?

Latest posts