What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building Atmosphere at Home Games.

Emu01

Juniors
I don't know about everyone else but the lack of atmosphere at our home games really pisses me off.

I have been attending games at Kogarah and win for over 30 years.

It's deadset embarrassing! The Roosters have a loud Easts chant goes right around the ground.Raiders have the Viking clap.. Sharks have that piss weak hand shaking gesture when they are kicking a goal. It's pathetic but at least the fans enjoy it.. Plus a trumpet player( I like that idea)

Souths play Glory Glory, Manly let kids on the field after the game,Storm have drums beating all game..

Panthers have a cat growling when they have to defend the try line.

WE HAVE SWEET f**k All.. to build atmosphere and fun for the fans.

At the Dragons v Cowboys game at win before the game I was sitting in restaurant under neath the main grandstand and a marching band walked in singing when the saints go marching in. Great idea but I never saw the band again when the game started.

We need someone to lead the hill at both grounds in a massive sing along I'm talking the whole hill and the grandstands will follow..The Illawarra song at win and when the saints at Kogarah.. A person playing a trumpet down on the fence looking back at the hill. The hill will do the rest a massive sing along.. It can't be that hard Fmd!

Even a band section playing songs that build tension..

Someone had a similar thread recently and some good ideas were raised..

Come on people call yourself fans let's build atmosphere amongst the fans because we definitely need to start winning again soon.

Let's make our home grounds intimidating for teams to play.

It could be the difference between winning and losing. Who's with me?

Gandhi

Juniors
I don't know about everyone else but the lack of atmosphere at our home games really pisses me off.

It's deadset embarrassing! The Roosters have a loud Easts chant goes right around the ground.Raiders have the Viking clap.. Sharks have that piss weak hand shaking gesture when they are kicking a goal. It's pathetic but at least the fans enjoy it.. Plus a trumpet player( I like that idea)

Souths play Glory Glory, Manly let kids on the field after the game,Storm have drums beating all game..

At the Dragons v Cowboys game at win before the game I was sitting in restaurant under neath the main grandstand and a marching band walked in singing when the saints go marching in. Great idea but I never saw the band again when the game started.

We need someone to lead the hill at both grounds in a massive sing along I'm talking the whole hill and the grandstands will follow..The Illawarra song at win and when the saints at Kogarah.. A person playing a trumpet down on the fence looking back at the hill. The hill will do the rest a massive sing along.. It can't be that hard Fmd!

Come on people call yourself fans let's build atmosphere amongst the fans because we definitely need to start winning again soon.

Awesome ideas you put forward. Great post. Yes, we need to create our saintsphere. (Atmosphere) At ground experience must be lifted. Happy to put forward ideas over the next few days.

The formerly mighty Dragon Army has never helped. In my opinion, they chant too fast to get surrounding supporters in to it.
Don't know about the political climate on the hill these days, but when I used to stand over near them, they collectively refused to chant along with "Dragons" even when big chants would thunder out of the western stands.

Roosters and Bullgrubs have an added advantage of having an "oo" or "u" sound in the team's moniker. These sounds tend to resonate better than the whiny "ai" and flat "eo" of St. George.

Finally, our best fans often sit in places with worse acoustics. Hills are great fun but they aren't great for sheer noise generation. The difference acoustics make is starkly obvious at Allianz. Back when GA went as far around as bay 38, Dragons fans sounded like European football ultras because of the great echo the top teir gives there. Now our loudest n proudest typically sit up the ends but the 12 Easts fans that comprise the Chook Pen maintain their acoustic advantage.

Also, need to get back the big flags.

While other teams have a sound advantage, I still think visually, the sea of red and white is the best sight in the league.

And yes... agree profusely. Let's pump up the atmosphere!

FlameThrower

Bench
Agree, I started a thread on this a while ago: I reckon the Raiders have nailed it and we could really do something at home games to lift the dull atmosphere. I've written to the Club and they replied saying they'd pass it onto their Game Day and Marketing team.

Dragons counter to Viking Clap.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/dragons-counter-to-vikings-clap.463073/

Well done, and the slow chant style for 'when the saints' is a great idea. Need the PA to guide the crowd a few times then it will catch on quickly.
Also a basic brass band with trumpets through out the game could add some fun. Things like Flags and Banners should be fitted by the Club for game day....
None of this are big investments, and would be quick to implement. (btw our ground announcer is useless, just calls out the score and tells us player X has been replaced by player Z!!!)

emu62

Juniors

coastiedragon

Juniors
Agree totally the hill has stalled over the years probably because of our form there was nothing better than standing on the hill having a few coldies and signing all the songs maybe have songs on paper and times songs will be song through out the game and hand them out at the gates just an idea oh when the saints play when we score a try

OzDragon

Coach
I've got 3.5 pages of ideas to boost attendance/increase revenue/facilitate the gameday experience.

A lot is incredibly simple stuff but I guess Doust and co are happy with the status quo.

possm

Coach

You know what I would suggest:

1. A Dragons brass band, paid and trained at Club expense to attend every home game.

2. A cage on either side of the ground with signed footballs inside to be used during the game. However, when a ball is kicked out - into the crowd for any reason during play, the fan who get the ball can keep it. At the end of each game, Dragons players to kick the balls remaining in these cages into the crowd.

3. Mobile Dragon statues - Asian Style to throw flames into the air when tries are scored and at various times during a game - controlled by a Dragons official.

4. Free kids face painting - Dragons style red / white - from the time the gates open until the start of the first grade game. Kids also given a small Dragons flag to wave around.

5. Discount family passes that are valid only if the pass holder arrives before the reserve grade game. A 10% discount on food and drink purchased before the reserve grade game - a once only and pass clipped to reflect it being used.

6. The inclusion of some Asian cuisine take-away food for sale.

7. The sale of doubles tickets prior to the start of reserve grade.

8. A lucky door prize drawn from the doubles ticket serial number.

9. An extensive promotion/marketing drive in the St George and Illawarra Districts.

10. A Merchandise stall inside the ground not far from entry gates. Also able to sell Club and Red V membership.

Fans encouraged to arrive prior to reserve grade to build the atmosphere early and to support the reserve grade team. To also reduce traffic and gate congestion.

Family discount for the same reason as above, but to also make it more accessible financially, for families to attend.

Asian Style Dragon flame throwers and food to attract the vast Asian population in the St George District to become involved and follow the Dragons.

Feel free to add a suggestion or comment on the above suggestions.

SEAT 1A

Bench
The atmosphere at Kogarah against BNE last year when Mike Cooper scored was great.

Nothing beats a full house to get juices flowing, ANZAC day and the tension of finals.

The slow St George gets it for me and the "choke on this" sign in the 2010 grand final was outstanding kudos to the owner.

Emu01

Juniors
Agree totally the hill has stalled over the years probably because of our form there was nothing better than standing on the hill having a few coldies and signing all the songs maybe have songs on paper and times songs will be song through out the game and hand them out at the gates just an idea oh when the saints play when we score a try

I'm prepared to go to the leagues club and seek a meeting with game day officials. Demand the following

Have 5000 copies of when the saints go marching in Handed out to the Hill spectators.

The Band that I saw in the Gong(cowboys game) play when the saints just before kick off..the band will play on half way and side line facing hill. The hill will sing along.(the band then returns to grandstand side until later in game)..

If we have any further ideas in this thread I will put them foward as well..

I'd love to get this happening for the sharks game..

If anyone wants to come along with me your welcome as I would like someone from the Illawarra side to put your ideas to them as well.. keep the ideas coming fans.

ALSGI

Bench
I'm prepared to go to the leagues club and seek a meeting with game day officials. Demand the following

Have 5000 copies of when the saints go marching in Handed out to the Hill spectators.

The Band that I saw in the Gong(cowboys game) play when the saints just before kick off..the band will play on half way and side line facing hill. The hill will sing along.(the band then returns to grandstand side until later in game)..

If we have any further ideas in this thread I will put them foward as well..

I'd love to get this happening for the sharks game..

If anyone wants to come along with me your welcome as I would like someone from the Illawarra side to put your ideas to them as well.. keep the ideas coming fans.
Emu01,
I like your enthusiasm mate.
Here's some emails below where I've put the ideas to the club and asked them to contact me to no avail as yet. Don't seem to be interested although it's only been a couple weeks. Asked them to call me to discuss, so good luck mate. (I've edited out my personal details).

20/04/2017 10:11 AM
On 20 Apr 2017, at 10:11 am, Redv <redv@dragons.com.au> wrote:
RE: Dragons Home Game Atmoshpere

I’ve passed your contact details along..

Kind Regards,
Kate

Red V Membership Team
St George Illawarra Dragons
Ph: 9587 1966| redv@dragons.com.au
www.dragons.com.au |
msohtmlclipclip_image003.jpg
StGeorge.Illawarra.Dragons |
msohtmlclipclip_image004.jpg
NRL_Dragons

Sent: Wednesday, 19 April 2017 4:06 PM
To: Redv <redv@dragons.com.au>
Subject: Re: Dragons Home Game Atmoshpere

Thanks for your reply Kate.
Can someone from the game day/marketing team call me to discuss please.

Thanks, Al

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Apr 2017, at 9:05 am, Redv <redv@dragons.com.au> wrote:

Hi Al,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

We are continually looking at ways to improve the game day experience, this will be passed on to our game day/marketing team for their consideration.

Kind Regards,

Kate
Red V Membership Team

www.dragons.com.au | StGeorge.Illawarra.Dragons | NRL_Dragons

Sent: Wednesday, 19 April 2017 8:48 AM
To: HotHotHot <hothothot@dragons.com.au>; Redv <redv@dragons.com.au>
Subject: Dragons Home Game Atmoshpere

Hi,

Firstly, congratulations to the NRL team and all involved for their achievements this year to date.

I’m a long time supporter, over 50 years.

I have a question for you that I’m hoping you can answer, or more of an idea really but your feedback would be great.

Why are we not doing something similar to the Canberra Raiders Viking Clap ? As a passionate Dragons supporter I really enjoy the way they do their Viking Clap and I’m quiet envious.

This is what Canberra have (and I’m jealous):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmrZPAridvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nRLVxyPuaU

If you want to get more crowds to games, get crowds involved, and start something big here’s some examples of things to do at our home games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUo9uGtyHyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJJOgqctV9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0nnoWxzNic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHdj4bQy1Ps

Forget the rest of the entertainment, this would be cheap and effective. The pommies have the words up on a screen, to guide the crowd in the lyrics and pace to sing, when to clap etc, you could play it over the pa.

This, along with a fire breathing dragon (in a safe place).

The atmosphere would be sensational, home crowd gets involved, and there’s your entertainment, before kick off, half time and after the game.

Imagine the players hearing this from the sheds before kick off, and at half time. The opposition would know they’re in Dragons territory.

The media would love it. The sponsors would love it.

THE FANS WOULD LOVE IT.

I’m sure it’s achievable and it would be an incredible boost to team spirit and crowd engagement = $$$$$$.

Regards, Al

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

emu62

Juniors
Agree 100% ALSGI. If you have a decent sound system & select the best quality audio. It wouldnt matter if we had 20 thousand or 5 thousand supporters there it would always sound like there are 80 thousand & surely this would be a big boost for the team as well as being off putting for the opposition. No other entertainment needed. IMO its brilliant

Emu01

Juniors
Emu01,
I like your enthusiasm mate.
Here's some emails below where I've put the ideas to the club and asked them to contact me to no avail as yet. Don't seem to be interested although it's only been a couple weeks. Asked them to call me to discuss, so good luck mate. (I've edited out my personal details).

20/04/2017 10:11 AM
On 20 Apr 2017, at 10:11 am, Redv <redv@dragons.com.au> wrote:
RE: Dragons Home Game Atmoshpere

I’ve passed your contact details along..

Kind Regards,
Kate

Red V Membership Team
www.dragons.com.au |
msohtmlclipclip_image003.jpg
StGeorge.Illawarra.Dragons |
msohtmlclipclip_image004.jpg
NRL_Dragons

Sent: Wednesday, 19 April 2017 4:06 PM
To: Redv <redv@dragons.com.au>
Subject: Re: Dragons Home Game Atmoshpere

Thanks for your reply Kate.
Can someone from the game day/marketing team call me to discuss please.

Thanks, Al

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Apr 2017, at 9:05 am, Redv <redv@dragons.com.au> wrote:

Hi Al,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

We are continually looking at ways to improve the game day experience, this will be passed on to our game day/marketing team for their consideration.

Kind Regards,

Kate
Red V Membership Team

www.dragons.com.au | StGeorge.Illawarra.Dragons | NRL_Dragons

Sent: Wednesday, 19 April 2017 8:48 AM
To: HotHotHot <hothothot@dragons.com.au>; Redv <redv@dragons.com.au>
Subject: Dragons Home Game Atmoshpere

Hi,

Firstly, congratulations to the NRL team and all involved for their achievements this year to date.

I’m a long time supporter, over 50 years.

I have a question for you that I’m hoping you can answer, or more of an idea really but your feedback would be great.

Why are we not doing something similar to the Canberra Raiders Viking Clap ? As a passionate Dragons supporter I really enjoy the way they do their Viking Clap and I’m quiet envious.

This is what Canberra have (and I’m jealous):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmrZPAridvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nRLVxyPuaU

If you want to get more crowds to games, get crowds involved, and start something big here’s some examples of things to do at our home games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUo9uGtyHyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJJOgqctV9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0nnoWxzNic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHdj4bQy1Ps

Forget the rest of the entertainment, this would be cheap and effective. The pommies have the words up on a screen, to guide the crowd in the lyrics and pace to sing, when to clap etc, you could play it over the pa.

This, along with a fire breathing dragon (in a safe place).

The atmosphere would be sensational, home crowd gets involved, and there’s your entertainment, before kick off, half time and after the game.

Imagine the players hearing this from the sheds before kick off, and at half time. The opposition would know they’re in Dragons territory.

The media would love it. The sponsors would love it.

THE FANS WOULD LOVE IT.

I’m sure it’s achievable and it would be an incredible boost to team spirit and crowd engagement = $$$$$$.

Regards, Al

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Thanks ALSGI, I will take these ideas with me. Surely they can't keep ignoring the fans..

I like the Fire breathing Dragon at each end.The words on the large screen is better than pieces of paper.

I won't bag the board or Peter Doust on here as yet, cos I'm pretty sure they read these posts.

But if we don't even get our ideas herd, they should expect some backlash on here..

Here we go, here we go! Saint/ Illawarra let's get some answers and action.:dragon::dragon::fire::fire:

Divine

Bench
Great idea to get everyone singing. Break those inhibitions and the crowd is much more vocal generally (regardless of alcohol consumption). My preference is a ragtime band with a singer to belt out OWTS and other ragtime standards. Why not organise 30 willing members of the DArmy to rehearse songs on their own time. That's all you'd need to seed the whole hill!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I really like the idea of the Dragon fire. A fire flame released from a couple of Dragon statues each time we score or produce a big play, would be unique (I think our cheer girls are called the flames)
Singing, well how many times can you sing the song without it getting a little overdone (don't get me wrong our song is the best) and loosing its impact. It is after all our victory song. Also not a fan of the clapping either.
Some kind of Dragon yell would be ok.

possm

Coach
By hiring a band and a bunch of singers - say from a local high school or some other group, you spread the news amongst the community and most probably get a higher quality result. Perform during the reserve grade and first grade and soon enough they will be professional enough.

denis preston

First Grade
How about starting the main game straight after the prelim game ? This 30 minute wait watching players hugg themselves is not inspiring.

Emu01

Juniors
I really like the idea of the Dragon fire. A fire flame released from a couple of Dragon statues each time we score or produce a big play, would be unique (I think our cheer girls are called the flames)
Singing, well how many times can you sing the song without it getting a little overdone (don't get me wrong our song is the best) and loosing its impact. It is after all our victory song. Also not a fan of the clapping either.
Some kind of Dragon yell would be ok.

Good point, I was thinning the same thing. You can definitely over do one song.. If I recall correctly in 1986,87 we had the band playing and singing when the saints at Kogarah and it became stale and they banished it for good.

So we will need some good back up songs to stop the boredom setting in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

All one hit wonders bands never last.just ask
Soft Cell,Vanilla Ice and Dexys Midnight runners.