What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building strong Shoulders!

Valderon

Juniors
Hi everyone,

Individuals participating in weight resistance training have varying pursuits in mind, however whether you choose to train for strength, symmetry, co-ordination, health or cosmetic reasons - the shoulders are an important aspect of your goals, and are often neglected by participants at the Gym. Building the shoulder assists in provided strength, stability and protection to the shoulder joint (which is prone to injury, and often a weakness), whilst assisting in providing improved appearance of the upper arm by providing shape between the biceps/triceps for cosmetic purposes. Through building the shoulders, other surrounding structures are also assisted, in the Trapezius (“traps”) and Levator Scapulae. These muscles aid in building and protecting the neck, which is important specifically in sporting applications, but also too for general populations.

There are a number of exercises that focus on the shoulder(s), however, its important to acknowledge the structure of the deltoid muscle; the primary muscle you are aiming to exercise. There are 3 sections to the deltoid - Anterior (Front) / Lateral (Middle) / Posterior (Rear) - which will improve the size of your shoulder , however , exercising the “traps” (trapezius), and levator scapulae muscles will also aid with wholesome growth and balance.

- Anterior Deltoid -

Whilst exercising your chest , your anterior deltoids are also being utilised as a secondary muscle (much like your triceps in chest movements, or your biceps in back exercise movements). Otherwise, two exercises you may wish to use, are:-

A) Front Raises - (Dumbell or Barbell or Cables) B) Shoulder Press - (Dumbell or Barbell)

Using dumbells will be better because they enable each deltoid to be accountable for it’s own ability. Dumbells also ensure that any discrepancy with muscle strength between the two shoulders will eventually become neutralised.

- Front Raises should be performed while standing. Each arm must be fully extended. The starting position for this exercise requires your arms to rest at your side, palms facing backwards. You raise your fully extended arm straight forward, and then lower it - interchanging between each arm. The arm must be fully extended to ensure the shoulder joint is being used (-not- the elbow!). Be sure to also monitor your posture and stability. Try only to use your shoulder by preventing your trunk/torso to become involved.

- Shoulder Presses should be performed while seated. Military presses (the barbell version) may also be used, and may be performed in a seated or standing position. Both arms work in unison. Once seated, the starting position will be with the dumbells in each hand, resting laterally at head height. Your arms should position with a 90 degree angle from your side to your upper arm, and a 90 degree angle from your upper arm to your forearm.

The action is to push upwards and inwards, so when both arms become fully extended above you, the dumbells should meet together. Lower slowly under the weight, and repeat. Be realistic with the weight you can lift in this exercise, as without a spotter it can be difficult to maintain proper technique with weight(s) too heavy for you… and technique is essential with the shoulder (due to its instability).

Some people prefer to use a barbell to perform the shoulder press, where it is important to highlight the correct technique in this situation. When performing the shoulder press using a bar, you must always provide motion in front of your head and neck; not behind you. This is because a long-term outcome of pressing behind the neck can lead to misalignment of the shoulder joints, in addition to increasing the risk and incidence of injury. Though, again, I still recommend using dumbells for strength neutralisation purposes.

- Lateral Deltoid -

There are also 2 key exercises to utilise the lateral deltoid.

A) Lateral Raises (Dumbells or Cable)
B) Upright Rows (Barbell or Cable)

- Lateral Raises are effective, though they can be deemed to be quite uncomfortable. This is likely a result of poor technique, though, something you should be aware of. Using dumbells for lateral raises is necessary. The start of this exercise also requires your arms to rest at your side, though your palms should be facing medially (towards your body). From here, both arms should be extended (with a slight bend at the elbow) and act in unison - lifting laterally (away from your body), until your arms are spread (such as if you were pretending to ‘fly’).

- Upright Rows are a very effective exercise for your lateral deltoids, which target some additional secondary muscles that is not utilised in the lateral raises. You should be using a barbell for this exercise for it to be most effective, and comfortable.

To begin this exercise, hold the bar with both hands centrally. Each hand should be in line with its corresponding thigh (upper leg). From here, lift the bar straight upwards (-not- forward!) so that it elevates directly towards your chin. I’d be inclined to lift it to touch your chin, in order to maintain good line, and full range of motion. Lower back down and repeat.

- Posterior Deltoid -

There are also 2 exercises available to the posterior deltoid.

A) Rear Row (Dumbell, Barbell, Cable)
B) Rear Lateral Raise (Dumbell, Cable)

- Rear Rows are more easily performed when you are lying prone (face down) on a flat bench (or slightly inclined bench). Dumbells are recommended for this exercise (as with all exercises). The starting position of this exercise ensures that your arms are fully extended, hanging in front of you (below the bench / towards the floor). From here, ensure your arm positioning is so that they’re at shoulder height ... and in movement, you pull the dumbells straight towards your body (upwards). Lower back under resistance, and repeat.

- Rear Lateral Raises are great, but become a little more difficult to maintain technical line, and form. Dumbells are certainly a recommendation for this motion. Start low to gain technique competancy. This exercise is also best performed lying on a flat bench (or slightly inclined bench). The beginning of this exercise is the same as the rear row. Begin with your arms extended below the bench / toward the ground (with you lying face down). The motion of this exercise can be viewed as the “opposite” of the “flys” (common term) with the chest. From the starting position, the arms should try to remain at shoulder height, and you lift your arms laterally (sideways, away from the body/bench), trying to have your arms reach perpendicular to your body.

- Surrounding Muscles -

In order to develop the surrounding muscles; specifically the Trapezius and Levator Scapulae; there is one exercise that is able to assist. This will also aid in strengthening the neck, which is important for symmetry and protection against neck injury.

A) Shoulder Shrugs (Dumbell , Barbell)

- Shoulder Shrugs are very simple to perform , where the amount of weight you are able to lift will increase with some relative speed. It is important to focus on your technique, as always, due to the vulnerability of the shoulder joint.

The beginning of this exercise relates similarly to lateral raises, as you are required to hold the dumbells, with your arms fully extended - by your side - and with your palms facing your body / side. From this position, you simply shrug with your shoulders - straight up, and lower slowly under resistance.

It is important to note that you do _not_ roll your shoulders. A regular fault with this exercise, is that individuals tend to roll their shoulder shrugs in a circular motion. This will only risk injury. It is not required. The goal of this exercise is for your shoulders to lift -straight up- , and lower -down-. The levator scapulae aids in “elevating the scapula” (hence its namesake), and doesn’t require circular motion to acheive its desired outcome.

- In Summary -
- Anterior Deltoid (Front Raises , Shoulder Presses)
- Lateral Deltoid (Lateral Raises , Upright Rows)
- Posterior Deltoid (Rear Raises , Rear Rows)
- Surrounding Muscles (Shoulder Shrugs)

I hope this helps provide you with some vision towards your shoulder routine.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
my shoulders are strong, I'm used to carrying the weight of the world on them

cupid

Juniors
This is my shoulder workout

4 sets dumbbell military press (4-8 reps)
4 sets barbell military press (6-10 reps)
3 sets lateral raises (8-15 reps)
4 sets bar or dumbbell shrugs (6-12 reps)

Valderon

Juniors

Since you work your anterior deltoids during chest exercises; I'd probably replace one of your military presses for a rear deltoid exercise; so that you don't end up with a nice over-developed hunch! (or a big round front aspect of your shoulder; with a flat under-developed imbalance in the rear aspect).

GuardDog

Juniors
^yep i believe the shoulder is an area that can easily get worked too much,.doesnt need too much volume,dumbell/barbell military press 3-4 sets in strict form is sometimes sufficient when heavy deadlifts and bent over rows are in the program
it all depends on the trainer's goal @ end of the day

joondalup_giant

Staff member

No need to be doing dumbell and barbell mili press in the same workout

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Overhead Press. Overhead Press. Overhead Press. Overhead Press. Overhead Press. Overhead Press. Overhead Press. Overhead Press. Overhead Press. Overhead Press

simple.

Apey

Staff member
I find shoulders the easiest ones to build, maybe because I actually enjoy the exercises that it involves. It's the abs I hate :fist:

Shorty

Staff member
Valderon (and anyone else for that matter), what do you think of Shoulder push ups?
I found them useful for progression into handstands and then handstand push ups (though I'm doing negatives atm).

Latest posts