What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs change name back to Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

Avenger

Immortal
Dude if the Eels want to officially revert back to their old logo, they need approval from the NRL to do so. And if they have approached the NRL for approval, then it would be made public.

Is there a time limit like with jersey changes ?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Usually these sorts of decisions are made earlier in the year so everything can be sent off around this time for production and ready merchandise by Nov-Dec, for the players at least. Last thing sponsors want to see is off-season training in last year's gear.

Timmah

Staff member
Avenger, subsequent articles have suggested it's 2011.

The 80s/90s logo in use on promo material is purely for membership promotion, the current electric eel logo will remain for at least 2010.

I have a more important reason for this bump...

TODAY, we are now OFFICIALLY back to being the mighty, mighty

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

:D :D :D :D :D

Bulldog Force

Referee
Officially our new logo from today onwards :D

00002538-image.jpg

Ridders

Coach
The whole name change thing is interesting.

While I like that we are going back to our roots, a part of me feels as though we are squandering a great opportunity. Noad and his bunch had done most of the grunt work in separating ourselves from the Bankstown name and simply being known as the Bulldogs. While it didn't sit well with many, myself included, it was very effective in terms of marketing as we didn't limit our reach to just our own local area.

In all, it's a good move, although I do have some reservations about what we've passed up.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Spending the past 11 years as 'The Bulldogs' for me was more than enough time to reach out to the wider community. The way I see it, in that time we picked up as many non-local fans as possible and the deed had done it's time. While it might've been an effective marketing technique, it's time now to go back to the future and remember where we came from.

Timmah

Staff member
I don't think there's any loss at all... Bulldogs is still part of our name and the focal point of the logo. Where's the issue?

Bulldog Force

Referee
I don't think there's any loss at all... Bulldogs is still part of our name and the focal point of the logo. Where's the issue?
We've got a central location now. But apart from that, it's really a nothing issue IMO (although I can see two sides to the argument here).

Ridders

Coach

The issue I was raising was that we'd come pretty far in being one of the few clubs in Australia who had rid themselves of their geographical tag and simply had "The Bulldogs" as our brand name. I felt having our brand name simply as "The Bulldogs" is a far more inclusive option and promotes people from many different area's to follow the club as the name is not exclusive of a certain region. I know it seems a trivial thing but it's something I do believe in.

In the end, I live in the Canterbury-Bankstown area so the idea of putting it back in our name definitely appeals to me as it re-inforces the club's territory, plus it adds more from a tribalism aspect. Was just pointing out the other side of the argument.

Timmah

Staff member
You've just uncovered a treasure trove!!! :crazy:

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
:D :D

I've been looking for it everywhere and all of a sudden it popped up in a Bulldogs members e-mail I received. It looked compressed on the e-mail, so I right clicked > view image and up it popped in all it's glory.

... The picture that is.