What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catic/Tallis

innsaneink

Referee
When Ned Catic met Petero last nite and then went to disneyland, Gordy Tallis was quick to roll him on his side and clear his airway etc to prevent him swallowing his tongue.
My first thought when I saw this though was I hope Catic doesnt have a back/neck injury.
I know Catic was sort of lying with his head raised and his arms up, starnge it looked like he was siezuring a bit.
I hope I never get put in that position becoz I know with back/neck injuries the slightest movement could prove critical.

Anyway big thumbs up to Gordy

I agree. Class act from Tallis. :clap:

Yeah I was worried about Catic too, the awkward way in which he had his fists clenched, it looked like he was having a spasm or a seizure as you said.

Good to hear he's OK.

DIEHARD

----
It was terrifying footage. I thought Catic was in serious trouble. It was a fantastic show of concern and sportsmanship from Tallis.

miccle

Bench
I saw gordy doing that and right away i though "well done champ". That side of Tallis has always been talked about, but not many people have seen it. Let's just hope that a lot of his knockers saw that last night - it was a top act from the raging bull - great sportsmanship, especially when 3 roosters players were standing there just looking at him.

lolesi

First Grade
Diehard said:
It was terrifying footage. I thought Catic was in serious trouble. It was a fantastic show of concern and sportsmanship from Tallis.

Couldn't of said it better myself.
Was great to see Tallis to that, though id also hope anyone would in that position would do it.

The General

Juniors
It was a great show of concern by Tallis but I'm just wondering had Catic sustained a neck injury in the tackle, would what Tallis did have been the right thing to do ?? I thought if someones gets a neck injury they shouldn't be moved at all.

innsaneink

Referee
The General said:
It was a great show of concern by Tallis but I'm just wondering had Catic sustained a neck injury in the tackle, would what Tallis did have been the right thing to do ?? I thought if someones gets a neck injury they shouldn't be moved at all.

This is the point I was trying to make when I said I hope I never have
to be put in that position.
Its touch and go, line ball etc etc.
I suppose you can pretty well guess the difference between concussion and neck injury but geeeezzz it can be bad if a wrong decision is made.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Catic was in disneyland alright but that sort of reaction is nothing too unusual when someone gets knocked out cold like that, I remember it happening to Dan Lonergan in a trans-tasman test a few years back and Dean came back on in the second half! Gordy definitely did the right thing, a great example to the kids I think.

Wests is Best

Juniors
innsaneink said:
The General said:

This is the point I was trying to make when I said I hope I never have
to be put in that position.
Its touch and go, line ball etc etc.
I suppose you can pretty well guess the difference between concussion and neck injury but geeeezzz it can be bad if a wrong decision is made.

I did a first aid course about 2 years ago, and its getting time for a refresher, but basically they taught us that in serious accidents the first priority should be to check that the patient is breathing and not bleeding. Spinal injury is important but not as important as the other 2 because loss of blood and lack of oxygen can kill very quickly. No good protecting a possibly injured spine if its also possible he's not breathing.
So according to that, Gorden Tallis' actions were very good!

Shifty

Juniors

You have raised a very important point.

If someone's airway is blocked by their tongue then spinal injury is the least of their concern. Tallis did exactly the right thing, people who may have sustained spinal injury should not be moved unless absoloutely necessary, putting them on their side to ensure a clear airway is absoloutely necessary and the first priority.

tinkerbell

Juniors
:clap: :clap: :clap: Big thumbs up to Gordon Tallis. Excellent sportsmanship. Nobody (players or fans) likes to see a player injured, no matter what team they play for.

I thought the same thing about not moving him if he had sustained a back/neck injury but the channel nine commentators said something about turning him on to his side to make sure he didn't swallow his tongue? And yeah, by the way he was holding his arms in that contorted way, it did look like he was having a seizure.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
That was good from Tallis to put him into the recovery position. He appeared just concussed or knocked unconcious so that was okay for Gordie to do that.

Gorden Tallis's actions showed how important it is that all footballers know the basics of first aid, not only did he put him in the recovery position, he also stabilised Catic's neck and head with his hands. It might only be a basic thing but every graded player should be made to do a first aid course before being registered. The actions of Gorden Tallis on Friday and Cameron Blair in the past highlight how important that basic knowledge is.

langpark

First Grade
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I've been searching youtube for this, to show to my players. Anyone know if there's any footage anywhere??

Latest posts