What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cayless or Waerea-Hargreaves?

Who was better?

• Waerea-Hargreaves

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Cayless

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Yes poached, started to show some form etc and promise. Made the city origin side with us in 2001 and then left to take up a offer at roosters...he had only played 24 games for us before he left. Was only 20 when you got him. Does that not mean poached? When you take a clubs young junior?

How many of his games for Parramatta were as a starter and how many were off the interchange bench? I think you'll find most of them were off the bench as he had his brother and Michael Vella in front of him as the starting front rowers. He knew if he came to the Roosters he would be a starter. As such he may have stayed if they'd gotten that hack Vella out of the starting side. The Eels made the wroing call there eh?

As to the wider issue, whilst Jason was at the Roosters he was a very good front rower, in terms of skill I think JWH is the better of the pair. He is better as a yardage getter, has better lateral movement than Jason did (which was about Jason's only weakness), is a more inspirational personality type, and has far better offloading skills.

Hargreaves is a dog but there's no denying he's a great prop. I'd rate him well ahead of Cayless brings plenty to the table and oppositions don't want to play against him

natheel

Coach
How many of his games for Parramatta were as a starter and how many were off the interchange bench? I think you'll find most of them were off the bench as he had his brother and Michael Vella in front of him as the starting front rowers. He knew if he came to the Roosters he would be a starter. As such he may have stayed if they'd gotten that hack Vella out of the starting side. The Eels made the wroing call there eh?

As to the wider issue, whilst Jason was at the Roosters he was a very good front rower, in terms of skill I think JWH is the better of the pair. He is better as a yardage getter, has better lateral movement than Jason did (which was about Jason's only weakness), is a more inspirational personality type, and has far better offloading skills.

159 games for eels
11 for NSW
10 for Australia

Yeh Vella was a hack...

Don't think we made the wrong call. We wanted Cayless to stay and if he did he probably would've became a starter with Vella pushing back to the bench later down the track as Jason realised his full potential.

Cayless saw an opportunity at Easts and took it good on him but Vella was great for us when he played.

Last edited:

Latest posts