What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Celtic V Wakefield cancelled - Leon Walker RIP

SteveM

Juniors
ESL on Sky tonight are showing last years GF again because the Celtic Crusaders home game has been cancelled.

Anyone know what's happened ?.

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonE

Bench
Absolutely devastating news, the kid was a good player with a great attitude.
Thoughts go out to the family.

Syko

Juniors
R.I.P

what a shame to have this happen, I hope our teams in the NRL all have a minute silence for him.

peace.

IanG

Coach
AAP said:
League game scrapped after player death
AAP - March 23, 2009, 9:16 am

Celtic Crusaders and Wakefield Wildcats called off their Super League clash on Sunday following the death of a 21-year-old player in a reserves fixture between the two clubs.

Crusaders and Wildcats' second strings were playing at Maestag, South Wales, when Wakefield's Leon Walker collapsed in the 63rd minute.

He was airlifted to Morriston Hospital in nearby Swansea, but was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Walker, a second rower or loose forward, signed for Wakefield in November 2008 having spent three years at Salford City Reds, where he earned representative honours with Yorkshire and England in 2007.

"This is a tragic loss for all involved with Rugby League. Clearly everybody at the club is devastated by this news and all our sympathies and prayers are with the family at this time," said Wakefield chairman Ted Richardson.

Nigel Wood, Rugby Football League (RFL) chief executive, added: "This is truly shocking and tragic news and our heartfelt condolences go to the parents, family and friends of Leon as well as the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats club.

"Our thoughts and sympathies are with all those involved at this devastating time."

Earlier Sunday, the RFL announced the scheduled Super League game in Bridgend between the Crusaders and Wildcats had been postponed just 35 minutes before kick-off due to "unforeseen circumstances."

LINK

Absolute tragity to say the very least.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
I was truly shocked when I was told about this. For a lad to lose his life so young doing something he loved is very sad. I was choking up telling a family member about it.

Condolences to his family and friends

RIP Leon

Billythekid

First Grade
So sad:( My thoughts are with his family, that is way to young.

I'm only 22 and it is a real scary thing to see something like this happen.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
My thoughts are with his family, friends and the Wakefield club.

I've never seen a run of tragedies at a club like what Wakefield have had to endure over the last 12 months. I really don't know what to say. I hope they overcome it all.

IanG

Coach
I don't know if it was reported how it happened but form what I heard on Talkin' Sport this evening he simply had a heart attack on the field. Bloody tragity.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
I don't know if it was reported how it happened but form what I heard on Talkin' Sport this evening he simply had a heart attack on the field. Bloody tragity.

No official explanation yet. Witnesses say he was tackled awkward, got up to play the ball and just collapsed. Still however it happened it's just not fair is it.

IanG

Coach
No official explanation yet. Witnesses say he was tackled awkward, got up to play the ball and just collapsed. Still however it happened it's just not fair is it.

No it certainly isn't

SuperLeague.co.uk said:
Tragedy causes postponment
Monday 23rd March 09

Wakefield Wildcats’ engage Super League match against Celtic Crusaders last night was postponed following the death of one of their reserve players.

Leon Walker, 21, who was in his first season with Wakefield, collapsed during the Wildcats reserves' match against their Crusaders counterparts at Maesteg yesterday afternoon.

The match was abandoned after 63 minutes while he was airlifted to the Morriston Hospital in Swansea, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The Rugby Football League took the decision to postpone the Super League match between the two clubs, which was due to be shown live on Sky Sports.

Tonight Wakefield chairman Ted Richardson said: "This is a tragic loss for all involved within rugby league.

"Clearly everybody at the club is devastated by this news and all our sympathies and prayers are with his family at this time."

RFL chief executive Nigel Wood said: "This is truly shocking and tragic news and our heartfelt condolences go to the parents, family and friends of Leon as well as the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats club.

"Our thoughts and sympathies are with all those involved at this devastating time."

Walker joined the Wildcats from Salford City Reds on a one-year deal in November.

The second row or loose forward joined Salford from Leeds amateur club Churwell Chiefs and during his three years with the Manchester club earned representative honours at academy level with Yorkshire and England in 2007.

Today's death is the latest in a series of tragedies to hit the Wakefield club in the last 10 months.

The Wildcats players have dedicated this season to the memory of popular prop forward Adam Watene, the Cook Island international who collapsed and died of a heart attack during a weight training session in October at the age of 31.

The club were already mourning the sudden death of Great Britain and Wakefield legend David Topliss, who collapsed during a five-a-side football match in June at the age of 58.

And the club also lost two members of their 1968 Challenge Cup final team during 2008.

In August Don Fox, who was the Lance Todd Trophy winner in their Wembley defeat by Leeds, lost his long battle with illness and in December centre Ken Hirst passed away.

In addition, prop forward Richard Moore has yet to play this season after being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and only last month stand-off Jamie Rooney revealed his heart stopped for 30 seconds during routine knee surgery and he had to be resuscitated.

Wakefield's next scheduled match is against St Helens at Belle Vue on Friday and a decision is expected to be made tomorrow on whether it will go ahead.

LINK

IanG

Coach
This is in addition to the other thread.
SuperLeague.co.uk said:
RFL launch inquiry into player’s death
Monday 23rd March 09

The RFL has launched a full inquiry into the death of Wakefield Trinity Wildcats player Leon Walker in a reserve team game yesterday (22 March).

The inquiry is a normal procedure for the RFL following such a serious incident and initial information is that this incident was a tragic accident.

The RFL is also offering a counselling service for all the players involved in yesterday’s reserve team fixture between the Wildcats and Celtic Crusaders at Maesteg rugby union ground.

As a mark of respect to Leon, a game wide minute’s silence will also be observed ahead of all this weekend’s fixtures covering all grades and age groups of the game.

The RFL Benevolent Fund has also committed to assist Leon’s family as appropriate.
LINK

Latest posts