What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today marks 13 years since Norths were booted from the comp under a criteria that ripped league even more post SL war. After doing the right thing by relocating out of Sydney to the Central Coast, building what was a purpose Rugby League stadium and enlarging their catchment, the Bears were deemed insolvent when truth is many millions were tied into Bluetongue Stadium's constructio whilst Norths Leagues were fledging and making profits year after year. Yet the big sticking point wasn't the insolvent part, it was the technically without a home groud part. It marks the day that many fans turned their backs on the NRL and the day that the NRL turned their backs on a foundation club trying to do the right thing.

13 years later, we have a chance to rebuild and re-enter the NRL as the Central Coast Bears, who by right should be in their 13th season of the comp as such. To all Bears, CC and rl fans in general lets keep the good fight up and show our worth to the comp!

Beowulf

Juniors
Today marks 13 years since Norths were booted from the comp under a criteria that ripped league even more post SL war. After doing the right thing by relocating out of Sydney to the Central Coast, building what was a purpose Rugby League stadium and enlarging their catchment, the Bears were deemed insolvent when truth is many millions were tied into Bluetongue Stadium's constructio whilst Norths Leagues were fledging and making profits year after year. Yet the big sticking point wasn't the insolvent part, it was the technically without a home groud part. It marks the day that many fans turned their backs on the NRL and the day that the NRL turned their backs on a foundation club trying to do the right thing.

13 years later, we have a chance to rebuild and re-enter the NRL as the Central Coast Bears, who by right should be in their 13th season of the comp as such. To all Bears, CC and rl fans in general lets keep the good fight up and show our worth to the comp!
Here here! A time is soon coming when all who believe in fairness and natural justice will need to stand up against this infamy.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I do like the Bears brand and want to see them back (just to see my mum smile when she hears there coming back) but I think the Bears need to look into moving to make there bid more viable. I know this has been brought up before but maybe the Bears should move to Brisbane. Lets face fact's the NRL don't need another team in Sydney or wedge in between Newcastle and Manly, but they do need another team in Brisbane, now I can hear you saying that the people from Brisbane will not accept an old Sydney team but if you were given the choice between the Bears and the Bombers who would you chose, I would be all for the Bears given that choice. The Bears could still play some game at blue tongue and would always have an army of fans for there away games to Sydney. Not trying to make any one angry just an idea and not a new one at that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
with hindsight, and if we had an nrl with an idea for what was happening in the future the best case scenario would have been for the Bears to partner with the WARL and be based in Perth to form the 17th team of the NRL for 2013-2018. Agreements to be signed with Bluetongue stadium to play 3 of their "away games" there by offering $'s to 3 sydney teams to shift their home games and one WA Bears home game to be played at NS oval plus a trial match. But that ship sailed many years ago.

blukablu

Juniors
Gosford is never going to happen. The Bears should move further north and try to set up in Brisbane. It's the way they'll be admitted.

paulmac

Juniors
Gosford is never going to happen. The Bears should move further north and try to set up in Brisbane. It's the way they'll be admitted.
As a bears supporter and a resident on the Gold Coast I would love the Bears in Brisbane but I think a West Coast Bears franchise makes more sense.The other problem is if the Bears were to move to Brisbane,the AFL own the name Brisbane Bears so they would have to be called something like the River City Bears,Moreton Bay Bears (i like this due to our big fig at NSO)or the Brissy Grizzlies.

The Great Dane

First Grade
with hindsight, and if we had an nrl with an idea for what was happening in the future the best case scenario would have been for the Bears to partner with the WARL and be based in Perth to form the 17th team of the NRL for 2013-2018. Agreements to be signed with Bluetongue stadium to play 3 of their "away games" there by offering $'s to 3 sydney teams to shift their home games and one WA Bears home game to be played at NS oval plus a trial match. But that ship sailed many years ago.

I agree the WA Bears would have been the best situation for the Bears but as you state that ship has sailed. So if not WA or Brisbane why not help SA rugby league setup a bid for Adelaide, it would not be ready for the next admissions but if they could get in the schools down there and get kids excited about rugby league and help setup a school league that would be a great start. They may have to recognize the Rams some how and it would take a long time to set up but other then that it would be good for the Bears and Rugby league in Australia.

The Great Dane

First Grade
As a bears supporter and a resident on the Gold Coast I would love the Bears in Brisbane but I think a West Coast Bears franchise makes more sense.The other problem is if the Bears were to move to Brisbane,the AFL own the name Brisbane Bears so they would have to be called something like the River City Bears,Moreton Bay Bears (i like this due to our big fig at NSO)or the Brissy Grizzlies.

Didn't think of that, but do you really think the AFL would have a problem with it, it's not like the Brisbane Bears were very successful or there would be many of there old fans protesting about it. If they do have a problem with us taking the Brisbane Bears name why not the North Brisbane Bears?

Last edited:

I think Perth needs its own identity. Pirates, Reds, Pumas or Hawks whatever it maybe. Build it up from the foundations and let it grow independently within the state and league.

Didn't think of that, but do you really think the AFL would have a problem with it, it's not like the Brisbane Bears were very successful or there would be many of there old fans protesting about it. If they do have a problem with us taking the Brisbane Bears name why not the North Brisbane Bears?

I guess IF the Central Coast was shot down and the ARLC came out saying a Bears franchise would add to the value however, Brisbane wouldn't be far fetched. Geez even Central Queensland would be ideal to an extent. QLDers have had a soft spot for the Bears, mainly due to the 90's with Larson, Moorw, Ikin and Dallas. North Brisbane Bears wouldn't be bad, could still call them Norths haha.

But Central Coast is where the foundation work has been laid and we want to keep growing the brand in the area. We built a stadium, isn't much to ask that we actually play on it is it?

docbrown

Coach
I guess IF the Central Coast was shot down and the ARLC came out saying a Bears franchise would add to the value however, Brisbane wouldn't be far fetched. Geez even Central Queensland would be ideal to an extent. QLDers have had a soft spot for the Bears, mainly due to the 90's with Larson, Moorw, Ikin and Dallas. North Brisbane Bears wouldn't be bad, could still call them Norths haha.

But Central Coast is where the foundation work has been laid and we want to keep growing the brand in the area. We built a stadium, isn't much to ask that we actually play on it is it?

No doubt Brisbane would be better financially then Perth or Central Queensland. Even New Zealand.

That said I want to see a Central Coast side. The NRL need to pull their finger out and tell the Bears unequivocally whether or not there will be a Central Coast side anytime within the next 10-20 years.

If their answer is 'No, but we're expanding elsewhere' then yes the Bears should look to Brisbane or New Zealand to keep their brand alive and help revive interest in North Sydney and the NRL needs to be taking a proactive role in ensuring that.

Hell... a Bears side based in Brisbane would be strong for the game. Hell, you could even tee it up so that they still play the North Sydney Oval game against Manly. Potentially you could even get Rabbitohs, Tigers, Roosters, Manly and Knights to give up 1 home game and play the Bears away at Gosford to keep a 5 game Bears Gosford package.

Anything like that is better than losing the Bears brand and losing North Sydney for good.

No doubt Brisbane would be better financially then Perth or Central Queensland. Even New Zealand.

That said I want to see a Central Coast side. The NRL need to pull their finger out and tell the Bears unequivocally whether or not there will be a Central Coast side anytime within the next 10-20 years.

If their answer is 'No, but we're expanding elsewhere' then yes the Bears should look to Brisbane or New Zealand to keep their brand alive and help revive interest in North Sydney and the NRL needs to be taking a proactive role in ensuring that.

Hell... a Bears side based in Brisbane would be strong for the game. Hell, you could even tee it up so that they still play the North Sydney Oval game against Manly. Potentially you could even get Rabbitohs, Tigers, Roosters, Manly and Knights to give up 1 home game and play the Bears away at Gosford to keep a 5 game Bears Gosford package.

Anything like that is better than losing the Bears brand and losing North Sydney for good.

Personally, I think a Bears brand is strong and adds value to the game. There is no other strong Bears brand in national sport in Australia outside of League. If its allowed to die, along with its history it'll be a great tragedy and travesty. Central Coast is gonna continue to grow, all the history that the Bears have forged there shouldn't go to waste. I'm a strong believer. I'll never give up on them.

docbrown

Coach
Personally, I think a Bears brand is strong and adds value to the game. There is no other strong Bears brand in national sport in Australia outside of League. If its allowed to die, along with its history it'll be a great tragedy and travesty. Central Coast is gonna continue to grow, all the history that the Bears have forged there shouldn't go to waste. I'm a strong believer. I'll never give up on them.

It has a pre-existing fan base, it makes sense to keep it alive rather than starting from scratch.

All the NRL needs to do is say "the next 4 expansion locations are..." and if Gosford isn't on that list then the NRL needs to help set the Bears brand up somewhere else.

It's insane to lose it.

The Great Dane

First Grade

That's why the Bears should seriously look into moving to Brisbane because I can't see the NRL giving another license to Sydney it would cause them to much trouble, everyone would have a tantrum about there being to many clubs in NSW (including the majority of the other Sydney clubs). So for the sake Bears history would it not be worth moving to Brisbane to make sure they get a license.

It has a pre-existing fan base, it makes sense to keep it alive rather than starting from scratch.

All the NRL needs to do is say "the next 4 expansion locations are..." and if Gosford isn't on that list then the NRL needs to help set the Bears brand up somewhere else.

It's insane to lose it.

My sentiments exactly mate.

That's why the Bears should seriously look into moving to Brisbane because I can't see the NRL giving another license to Sydney it would cause them to much trouble, everyone would have a tantrum about there being to many clubs in NSW (including the majority of the other Sydney clubs). So for the sake Bears history would it not be worth moving to Brisbane to make sure they get a license.

There's that option but first the Central Coast Bears must stand their ground on the CC as they've built resources, fans, community foundations and business partners. If it fails however after we give it our best shot on the CC obviously other location options will be looked at to save the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts