What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears website - 20 Nov 09

Joker's Wild

Coach
If I lived on the Central Coast I would want a completely fresh identity.
St George/Illawarra prospered because they had two existing 1st grade teams merging from both areas, as far as I can see neither the CC or North Sydney have either.

Dont fool yourself mate. St. George Illawarra was a merger in name only, the Dragons effectivly took over and that is the reason the venture has prospered. The Steelers were a basket case and were headed for oblivion and the NRL could not afford to lose a RL nursery like the Sth Coast.

Timmah said:
Newcastle = scared.

Of what exactly? The Knights said they will pull out if a franchise is ever given to the CC. The Bears could have taken their NSW cup team up there but have chosen to stay in Nth Sydney.

Pull your head in mate

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Of what exactly? The Knights said they will pull out if a franchise is ever given to the CC. The Bears could have taken their NSW cup team up there but have chosen to stay in Nth Sydney.

Pull your head in mate

:lol: I was making reference to macavity's post.

Simple facts are that the Knights, if arbirtration doesn't work next year, will be close to broke. Short of a private backer, it will be a club headed for oblivion. The Bears are gearing up, sponsors lined up, etc etc - and the CC is a burgeoning league nursery. The Knights have seen this and jumped (and good on them) while the BEARS still have a current contract with SOUTHS (which has been in place for a few years now). So no, the Bears couldn't without South Sydney kicking up a stink.

skeepe

Immortal
Take into account the population of the Central Coast is similar to that of Canberra from memory. They have a team...

Your memory fails you.

Gosford population = 163,000
Canberra population = 350,000

Let's even make if a little fairer for you and include the surrounding areas that the team would encompass

Gosford and surrounds (Wyong Shire etc) population = 298,000
Canberra and surrounds (Queanbeyan, Yass, Goulburn, Cooma etc) population = 500,000

Sorry mate, not even close.

Timmah

Staff member
Your memory fails you.

Gosford population = 163,000
Canberra population = 350,000

Let's even make if a little fairer for you and include the surrounding areas that the team would encompass

Gosford and surrounds (Wyong Shire etc) population = 298,000
Canberra and surrounds (Queanbeyan, Yass, Goulburn, Cooma etc) population = 500,000

Sorry mate, not even close.
:lol:

Pathetic. Pick-and-choose statistics.

GOSFORD's population alone is irrelevant. Gosford and Wyong are the Central Coast, by definition.

The population stats to compare are that of the entire ACT, against that of Gosford and Wyong shires combined.

Those statistics, according the most recent ABS:

Central Coast - 297,956 [1] 9th largest urban centre in Australia
ACT - 339,900 - 7th largest urban centre in Australia.

Yass and Goulburn :lol:

skeepe

Immortal
:lol:

Pathetic. Pick-and-choose statistics.

GOSFORD's population alone is irrelevant. Gosford and Wyong are the Central Coast, by definition.

The population stats to compare are that of the entire ACT, against that of Gosford and Wyong shires combined.

Those statistics, according the most recent ABS:

Central Coast - 297,956 [1] 9th largest urban centre in Australia
ACT - 339,900 - 7th largest urban centre in Australia.

Yass and Goulburn :lol:

Now who's picking and choosing? Gosford's population is entirely relevant as that is the city the team will be based in, much like Canberra.

If you wish to include the surrounding regions, then it's only fair that you include the surrounding regions for Canberra also. Unless you're trying to tell me that there's no possible way for people from Queanbeyan (a 10 minute drive from the centre of Canberra), Yass (a 30-40 minute drive from the centre of Canberra) or Goulburn (a 45 minute drive from the centre of Canberra) will be drawn on as support for a Canberra-based team? In that case, you show your true ignorance.

Joker's Wild

Coach
:lol: I was making reference to macavity's post.

Simple facts are that the Knights, if arbirtration doesn't work next year, will be close to broke. Short of a private backer, it will be a club headed for oblivion. The Bears are gearing up, sponsors lined up, etc etc - and the CC is a burgeoning league nursery. The Knights have seen this and jumped (and good on them) while the BEARS still have a current contract with SOUTHS (which has been in place for a few years now). So no, the Bears couldn't without South Sydney kicking up a stink.

The issues over the revenue loss from the construction at EAS wont be found in favour of Hunter Sports as the NSW gov (who owns Hunter Sports) would be committing political suicide if they contributed to forcing a club out of the Hunter electorate.

Also, there is no reason the Bears could not have moved their NSW cup side to Gosford and still maintained their link with Souths.

Saint Doc

Coach
Now who's picking and choosing? Gosford's population is entirely relevant as that is the city the team will be based in, much like Canberra.

If you wish to include the surrounding regions, then it's only fair that you include the surrounding regions for Canberra also. Unless you're trying to tell me that there's no possible way for people from Queanbeyan (a 10 minute drive from the centre of Canberra), Yass (a 30-40 minute drive from the centre of Canberra) or Goulburn (a 45 minute drive from the centre of Canberra) will be drawn on as support for a Canberra-based team? In that case, you show your true ignorance.

buddy if you're counting 45mins as acceptable, you need to include the population of newcastle and northern sydney (eg. hornsby) as central coast potential fans

skeepe

Immortal
buddy if you're counting 45mins as acceptable, you need to include the population of newcastle and northern sydney (eg. hornsby) as central coast potential fans

Remind me which district the Newcastle area is in? Wouldn't be the Newcastle Rugby League would it? What about the Northern Sydney area? Wouldn't be the North Sydney District Rugby League by any chance?

What about Goulburn? Why that'd be the Canberra District Rugby League.

Imbecile.

lturner

Juniors
Take into account the population of the Central Coast is similar to that of Canberra from memory. They have a team...

True, Canberra have a team....one of the worst supported teams in the league!

How is the Central Coast any different to the Illawarra? Both regional areas just beyond the outer reaches of Sydney. Comparable populations. Both have huge junior bases.

But.....Illawarra Steelers 1982 -1998 may they rest in peace!

Perth Red

Post Whore

In which case why put a team in Gosford if it is only 45mins from an existing NRL team?

hgfds

Juniors
In which case why put a team in Gosford if it is only 45mins from an existing NRL team?
Obviously with the population size of the northern region distance and future population growth 3 teams are required.

Timmah

Staff member
Your logic suggests we have no teams within 45 mins of each other. That would reduce the NRL to a 10 team competition and dry up any chances of making decent money off the next contract.

You need to put league into places where league is embraced, the Central Coast is one of those places, whether you like it or not, and whether you'd like to admit it or not.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your logic suggests we have no teams within 45 mins of each other. That would reduce the NRL to a 10 team competition and dry up any chances of making decent money off the next contract.

No my logic is that when you ony have 2 , possibly 4 at most, future expansion team places for the competition you don't use one of those on a new team that is within eailsy travelling distance for fans of an existing team ibn a State that already has an over supply of teams.

macavity

Referee
You need to put league into places where league is embraced, the Central Coast is one of those places, whether you like it or not, and whether you'd like to admit it or not.

As a proud Central Coast resident, I assume the Bears if admitted will be your #1 team?

Grumpy Old Man

Juniors

Given that Brisbane is also league crazy and that there population is the same in total as greater western Sydney, would it not then be more logical, financially to introduce another team Qld before the CC ?

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Latest development - indicating how rugby league is still run by agendas, dinosaurs and idiots.

The CRL were so keen to hastily throw a roadblock in the way of the CC Bears that they named the side the CC Crusaders. This was done in a rude rush so they could announce it a couple of days before the official CC Bears launch last week.

It now transpires that a CC Crusaders already exists - the basketball team.

How badly is ruby league managed when one body, in the most amateurish way, try to derail the CC Bears bid? - after 10 long years.

the AFL would be laughing as they see the dinosaurs stuffing up the game's future.

Timmah

Staff member
As a proud Central Coast resident, I assume the Bears if admitted will be your #1 team?
I can't count the amount of times you've mounted this stupid argument. No they will not be my #1 team, that's a stupid assumption. Having said that, your theory basically says we should never have introduced the Titans as all the people in SEQ already supported a team.

And even without them being my number #1 team, I will still become a member and attend as many matches as humanly possible. The bottom line is that as a Knights supporter, you are threatened by the potential of a team from the Coast - it's clear in the way you get defensive every time this topic arises.

skeepe

Immortal
I can't count the amount of times you've mounted this stupid argument. No they will not be my #1 team, that's a stupid assumption. Having said that, your theory basically says we should never have introduced the Titans as all the people in SEQ already supported a team.

And even without them being my number #1 team, I will still become a member and attend as many matches as humanly possible. The bottom line is that as a Knights supporter, you are threatened by the potential of a team from the Coast - it's clear in the way you get defensive every time this topic arises.

So, to summarise, Central Coast residents won't support a Central Coast team.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Out of interest what is the CRL's beef with the Bears?

and who are the CC RL fans supporting at the moment?

Goddo

Bench
No my logic is that when you ony have 2 , possibly 4 at most, future expansion team places for the competition you don't use one of those on a new team that is within eailsy travelling distance for fans of an existing team ibn a State that already has an over supply of teams.

I can see your point, but you have to admit the Bears bid team has a more viable model for a club than some current NRL sides.

We need all of the older clubs. They are the tradition and rivalry that is the foundation of the game. Strong domestic rivalry is crutial to the game. Generic one town teams have no soul on their own. They need the saturation in Sydney. Clubs will fold in Sydney naturally... I don't get the anti Sydney brigade on this site... without the Sydney clubs, there is no NRL...

It will not be a risky option, very conservative assured growth going with the Bears.

We can't afford to be taking too many risks with expansion. The money isn't there for a new side to struggle or fold.

As a Reds fan, you should be more concerned about the Wellington and Central Queensland bids than the Bears...

Latest posts