What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Centurions on Fox 2 now

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
Just a heads up that the Centurions are playing Wenty on Fox sports 2 right now. Good chance to see the younger boys play.

rnb11

Juniors
Thanks for letting us know, Ive got it recording. I'll only get to watch the last 30 mins but still better than nothing. Cant wait to see Lik, KOD and the rest for the first time since the NZ trial

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
god f**king damnit... i hate work... Likkers and KOD should be playing, too.

Yeah they are mate, KOD is going well. Likiliki a bit quite, Simon Williams is the centre who is killing it, having a good game and im really impressed with that Sinbad Kali, he is going great!

Archduke_Franz

Juniors
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Peter Mata’utia is also playing some good footy, Stig is taking on the line good but [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Arial]Kevin Naiqamas defense is pretty poor in stages.
[/FONT]

whidds

Juniors
can anyone give me a decent update on how stig is playing this year? i live on the other side of the world and find it hard to keep tabs on him. many thanks

K-Man

Bench
Not sure how many people got to see the game, so here's a little review of some of the notable players... imo of course:

KOD - very strong. big workrate in attack and defence. biggest asset, as with every time I watch him, was his ability to use footwork and a good footy brain to make the most metres possible in every run. he never really has a bad carry, always seems to have more time running at the line and between defenders than some forwards. I remember when Snowden came into first grade with us he often seemed to be getting met by the defensive line way before he had got wound up... KOD is the opposite.

Sinbad Kali - what a game! he was immense off the bench. every hit-up was powerful, brushed off defenders easily, scored an excellent solo try using footwork (not bad for a prop) to beat the cover defence. Also made some handy covering tackles popping up right place right time and led the kick chase on occasions. haven't seen much of him before, but this match was hard to find a single flaw in his performance. how old is he?

Taufua - pretty typical Mark T game, i think he'll be back in the top 17 very soon, if not this week in fact.

Tetevano - slightly disappointing, mainly because our forwards were so dominant and he wasn't so much. I've got big hopes for him but I didn't rate him as a prop in this game. back to a wide running second-rower please.

Mika - excellent. Scored a good try with his line-running and generally ran the ball well. also made his stock standard one massive bell-ringing tackle.

Filipo - more and more impressed with him every game i see. reminds of Joe Galuvao (the good years) in running style and his passing game is underrated - he threw some neat balls both pre-line and off-loads.

Simon Williams - fantastic runnning game. was the most dangerous back on the field, either made or threatened to make a line break with every touch, and got 2 try assists (one with a Gidley flick pass whilst being tackled). Made the correct decision every time in attack, but you could say the opposite for a lot of his defence. wasn't proactive enough in D, watched and waited and got caught out back-peddling.

Likiliki - looked injured to me. didn't get involved much and didn't look like a player who thinks he's close to first grade. he's strong, but does more damage with his dummy half runs than anything in open play.

Kev Naiqama - ordinary. i used to rate him, but on this match he's gone backwards.

Lulia - could be one nuffie WB keeps. nothing flashy (same as always) but solid and teams just don't score tries on his side when he defends in the centres as he did a lot. his defensive reads really are phenomenal... wish he had an extra yard of pace.

Stig - great game. ran the ball well and often.

Mata'utia - good but not great. has the physique and the skills but i don't know, just something missing.

Pika

Bench
Tets is playing out of position at prop. Still getting 70 minutes out of him which is massive.

When stacked like it is now, the Centurions are very tough to beat.

K-Man

Bench
Who's playing in what positions out of Mata'utia, Lulia, Williams, Kev N and Likiliki?

In terms of how they are named it was:
1. Mata'utia
2. Lulia (left side)
3. Likiliki (left side)
4. Williams (right side)
5. Naiqama (sight side)

But in reality it was Lulia at centre and Likiliki bludging on the wing barely touching the ball. I forgot he was out there half the time. Having said that, defensively him and Keith had no issues at all... Williams and Kevin were all at sea and are virtually the reason we let in any tries at all.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah I caught the last 30 odd minutes as well.

My views on players that caught me eye:

Mata'utia - There is definitely still a first-grader in there somewhere. Looks like he has too much class for that level, but he is just way too lax. Will be a real shame if nothing comes of him.

Liki - This guy is yet to do anything to impress me. People calling him our great hope in the centres next year has me pretty worried. I'd heard he was a flat-track bully as a junior who used his superior physicality against kids, and nothing's convinced me otherwise yet.

Simon Williams - Some very classy touches in attack. The overs line he ran off the Stig and made a clean break towards the end was magic.

Filipo - Made almost the most impressive offload I've ever seen to put Lulia in the clear. Another couple of strong runs too.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Liki - This guy is yet to do anything to impress me. People calling him our great hope in the centres next year has me pretty worried. I'd heard he was a flat-track bully as a junior who used his superior physicality against kids, and nothing's convinced me otherwise yet.

This is the problem with big kids coming through the juniors that I have seen.

They dont develop any kind of a step, swerve or hole running ability because they get so used to just being able to run over the top of opposing players.

When they make the step up to grade, against guys their own size they cant just power over, they have nothing to fall back on.

K-Man

Bench
Yeah I caught the last 30 odd minutes as well.

My views on players that caught me eye:

Mata'utia - There is definitely still a first-grader in there somewhere. Looks like he has too much class for that level, but he is just way too lax. Will be a real shame if nothing comes of him.

Simon Williams - Some very classy touches in attack. The overs line he ran off the Stig and made a clean break towards the end was magic.

Filipo - Made almost the most impressive offload I've ever seen to put Lulia in the clear. Another couple of strong runs too.

Agree with all of that, and it's a fair reflection on the full 80 minutes, not just the last 30.

Filipo's offload was absolute class, and it wasn't the only one he made either. I'd have to say he was the best back-rower on the field in terms of quality. He looks like he could make the step up without a problem.

Williams in attack is awesome. What I like most about him (and there's a lot to like) is that he makes good decisions with ball in hand. A lot of centres have the size/pace but don't know how to use it... Simon gets everything possible out of every situation - he runs an overs line and draws the winger exactly when needed, he puts on the gas to beat the attempted ankle tap then immediately shifts the ball to two hands looking for his support, he off-loads if a try is on the cards but runs hard and with footwork if not, etc.

I love watching a centre that really knows his game. In first grade I'm sure he would have his ups and downs, but you would always know that if quality ball made it his way then he would get the job done.

Also he would be PERFECT inside Aku... it would add 10 tries a season to Uate's tally without a doubt. I guess I see him as a shorter, stockier Matt Gidley with an extra yard of pace but less certain in defence.

likiliki - overrated. I have watched around 10 full games that he's played, and I just don't get the hype other than that he has all the right 'tools' to be excellent. But he doesn't use them. If he is coasting along doing the bare minimum at this point in his career then what will he be like as a regular first-grader? He just doesn't seem to care. Sure he's strong, but he is not going to run over the Mannerings, Coopers, etc etc that he will find himself opposite in the NRL.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Well thank god we have WB coming. He will get the most out of all our players and hopefully we'll see players like Williams improve his defence and make a fine NRL centre.