What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge Cup Final Result

Evil Homer

Staff member
Hull 25-24 Leeds

Paul Cooke touched down three minutes from time as Hull snatched the Powergen Challenge Cup from Leeds' grasp at the Millennium Stadium with a 25-24 win.

Hull had dominated proceedings as they chased a first cup success for 23 years but the game seemed up as Mark Calderwood and Marcus Bai scored to put Leeds ahead late on.

Yet Hull refused to give up and Cooke's brilliant dummy created a hole for the decisive try and Danny Brough held his nerve to convert.

It was a rare error-filled performance from Leeds, whose decision to play injured Keith Senior backfired, but their late burst looked to have won the cup.

Motu Tony, Gareth Raynor and Richard Whiting tries had put Hull in control, but Calderwood's effort on 67 minutes, his second of the match, seemed to have turned the tide until Cooke went over.

Hull started nervously and Leeds skipper Kevin Sinfield looked to test their back line, Nathan Blacklock filling in at full-back for the hospitalised Shaun Briscoe, with deep kicks at every opportunity.

The plan paid dividends in the 11th minute as Blacklock and Raynor both went for a high ball and collided.

The ball ran loose and although Mark Calderwood was denied the chance to touch down as Raynor pulled him back, video referee Bob Connolly awarded him a penalty try.

It was the Wigan-bound winger's 32nd try in all competitions this season and was converted by Sinfield.

Hull responded positively to the setback and levelled the scores midway through the first half with a brilliant try from Tony.

Richard Whiting flicked Shayne McMenemy's kick in his direction and the Kiwi improvised superbly, chipping the ball over the Leeds defence and beating Richie Mathers to the line to score. Danny Brough landed the conversion from out wide to tie the scores at 6-6.

The try restored Hull's confidence and they began to look the more dangerous team. They had two tries disallowed, first when Kirk Yeaman was ruled to have knocked on as he ground the ball and then when Blacklock was ruled offside.

The pitch was cutting up and the players were struggling to keep their feet, but Hull looked the more comfortable.

Senior was removed at half-time but Leeds could not regain their composure and fell behind five minutes into the second half after a dreadful pass by Mathers was intercepted by Tony.

Cooke took up the attack and the ball was fed wide, Raynor applying the finishing touch in the corner after a smart pass by Blacklock. Brough converted nervelessly from the touchline.

But Leeds are made of stern stuff and hit back forcefully to level the match again when prop Danny Ward forced his way over and Sinfield added the extras.

Yet no sooner had they got back into the game than they switched off again, falling behind after a catastrophic blunder by Marcus Bai.

Bai swept up a Horne kick in the in-goal area well enough but inexplicably tried to offload and passed to Richard Whiting, who promptly touched down.

Brough converted and later added a drop goal for good measure but the game was far from over.

Leeds dug deep into their reserves and got themselves back into the game 13 minutes from time when Calderwood weaved through several tackles to score.

They quickly followed up with another try to reclaim the lead, Bai outjumping Tony to claim a Mathers kick and atone for his earlier blunder.

Sinfield, sporting a bandage after a head wound sustained last week reopened, converted both to give the Rhinos a 24-19 lead.

It was harsh on Hull, but they did not give up and deservedly got back in front after 77 minutes when Cooke dummied and found a hole to score. Brough's conversion put them one point ahead and they clung on in a nervous last minute.

Hull: Tony, Blacklock, Yeaman, Whiting, Raynor, R. Horne, Brough, Dowes, Swain, Carvell, McMenemy, Kearney, Cooke.
Replacements: Thackray, King, Chester, Saxton.

Leeds: Mathers, Calderwood, Walker, Senior, Bai, Sinfield, Burrow, Bailey, Diskin, Ward, Lauitiiti, McKenna, Ellis.
Replacements: McGuire, Poching, Jones-Buchanan, Dunemann.

Referee: Steve Ganson (St Helens)

bartman

Immortal
Hull: 25
Tries: Tony, Raynor, Whiting, Cooke
Goals: Brough (4)
Drop-goals: Brough

Leeds: 24
Tries: Penalty, Calderwood, Ward, Bai
Goals: Sinfield (4)

Half-time: 6-6
Att: 74,000

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Very very mad, a mate spoiled the result before they showed here it in Australia :evil: Oh well, still worth a look. Sounds like a very edge-of-your-seat match, and well done to Hull for getting the job done, I didn't really give them a hope of winning.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I actually thought it was a poor game RL wise,but very tense and exciting.Worth watching even if you already know the result.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, skills not exactly at the peak but an exciting contest all these same. A fair bit of feeling in it from both teams.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Who are these commentators? We usually get those two tools Eddie Hemmings somebody, and Mike "It's T. R. Y. time here Eddie, I'll have me house and garden shed on it/Well maybe it's time to go for the one pointer here Eddie" Stephenson :lol:.

These guys aren't as funny, but alot more professional.

bartman

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:
Who are these commentators?

It's on BBC, not Sky, so you've got different blokes. I didn't get to hear the commentary but they usually have Ray French with Jonathon Davies, and then studio comments from coaches Ian Millward and Brian Noble.

fourplay

Juniors
Exciting game.

Anyone else notice the cameramans fixation with 2 girls sitting in the front row?! lol not that im complaining ;)

In-goal

Bench
Although it wasn't of the highest possible standard the intensity of the game was inbelievable, especialy in the last 20 mins truley how all finals should climax.

Hopefully this can set the benchmark for matches as the Finals begin in 3 weeks, what it also shows is that it's now more than a 2 horse r ace for the Grand Final.

Leeds
St.Helens
Hull F.C.
Warrington (with Johns)
Bradford

coldhardbitch

Juniors
Hats off to Hull. they wanted it more than we did.

McGuire and Burrow didnt feature. I thought Brough, and Horne had fine games.

I think this cements Hull as now being in the 'Big 5'. Was fantastic to watch tho. Had my whole family and 2 mates (all of which arent ussual super league fans) on the edge of their seats.

Was the most exciting game of league i've seen all season

Sun_Down

Juniors
Man that was a great game. Loved seeing a huge stadium sold out aswell. Im glad Hull won, but I feel for Leeds, especially Bai, he looked heartbroken after his mistake...

Anyway, good times...

jed

First Grade
Hull fought so hard, they deserved the win. Glad that we're playing them next week, they'll hopefully be playing below their peak.

terracesider

Juniors
I thought it was a proper rugby match, the kind we don't see too often these days, a real forwards battle and the Hull pack won it. It was always likely to be a tough game so I was surprised that Smith left out McDemott and included Senior despite his injury.

The commentators were French and Davies with Millward and Noble in the studio.

You weren't the only one, fourplay. :lol:

Anyway, even if the cod heads are going to be unbearable for a while, it was a great advert for the game, the best final for probably 20 years. Much better than some of the rubbish that has been served up of late.

JasonE

Bench
I think the Rhinos will do it tough from here on in, they look fairly battered and Senior looks like he'll be out for a while and Danny Mc is carrying a shoulder injury. Still can't believe they let Calderwood go for Scott Donald.
Hull FC defo won it in the props the big 4 were excellent going forward.

Copa

Bench
What was that long (around 4 foot) solid pink thing that the camera briefly showed someone in the crowd playing with and then cut away from?? It wasn't what I thought it was was it?

bartman

Immortal
Hull would have felt shattered if the final result diodn't go their way. It was another great performance, to follow on from their job against St Helens in the semi-final. They'll still have a big "come down" next week I'm pretty sure.

Danny Brough must have the worst haircut in Superleague? At times when he played for York last year the blonde bits were red... He's got a great kicking game under pressure. They covered Briscoe's absence alright up the back, but with a few glitches.

Leeds weren't allow to sparkle in their usual way, but it's the best I've seen Lauitiiti play for a while? Bad coaching to leave the side short of strength up front from the bench. At least Marcus Bai redeemed his mistake with a try, but that was a poor effort in goal. Leeds look like they have some injury worries for coming weeks too with Senior, McKenna, and Sinfield's head?

bartman

Immortal
fourplay said:
Anyone else notice the cameramans fixation with 2 girls sitting in the front row?! lol not that im complaining ;)
You mean the two Hull fans? No complaints here either :D

Copa said:
What was that long (around 4 foot) solid pink thing that the camera briefly showed someone in the crowd playing with and then cut away from?? It wasn't what I thought it was was it?
I think it was... :lol:

Latest posts