What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge Cup Semi in Barcelona?

jim_57

Staff member
The idea is being thrown around a fair bit now Catalans are definatley in the semi's. I can't see why they wouldn't do it if it's possible to get the stadium. The are only two options really:

Catalans V ? - Olympic Stadium, Barcelona - Capacity 56,000, 15-20,000 attendence
or
Catalans V ? - "Typical Northern England Stadium that has been used 100 times before" - Capacity 15-25,000, 8-12,000 attendance.

Some people will probably complain about it being to near Perpignan but Catalans had to travel to play Wigan in '08 in Warrington... A team that has a "local derby" with Wigan. Add that to the fact Catalans have to travel every second week then it makes perfect sense that situations like these favour them instead of the English teams.

Let's hope common sense prevails and we have games at Barcelona and Sheffield instead of Doncaster and Wigan :pray:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Would be hard to market, short notice for traveling fans, cant really see 15K-25K fans going to Barca with just a weeks notice.

How are grounds decided for hosting the matches for the Challenge Cup anyway?

Evil Homer

Staff member
It's not next week, the games aren't played until August 7th. Stadiums are chosen by whichever is most suitable.

Barcelona is a good idea, but AFAIK it hasn't even been suggested here, at least in the media. Doncaster and Wigan wouldn't be so bad for the venues, it would make a change from Huddersfield and Warrington. Can't see them taking a game to Sheffield or even Doncaster to be honest without one of the Hull teams being involved, it's an unneccesary journey otherwise.

langpark

First Grade
15-20,000 is a bit ambitious. And if Barcelona was chosen, why at the olympic stadium? too big, and not purpose built (has a running track). I just had a quick look on worldstadiums.com and there are two there, which each hold about 17k, so i think they'd be better choices (tho i don't know about location etc etc).

Ideally, I would have the Catalans game in Toulouse at their 20k rugby stadium (with Olympique Toulouse curtain raising with an NL1 fixture if possible). That way it's not a one-off wasted venture, as Barca and Paris would be.

As for the all-english semi, Sheffield, Doncaster (also with NL1 curtain-raisers), Wrexham or Blackpool, would be my preferences in that order.

Evil Homer

Staff member
There are plans to expand to both Paris and Barca. The Miniestadi might be better for the game though, it's the small stadium next to FC Barcelona's Nou Camp and holds about 18k.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Not sure about Barca but I have heard Paris as a rumour. Wouldn't mind a weekend down there personally if Leeds drew Catalan.

deluded pom?

Coach
As for the all-english semi, Sheffield, Doncaster (also with NL1 curtain-raisers), Wrexham or Blackpool, would be my preferences in that order.

Why take an all English semi (one of whom may be Leeds) to a ground further west than Lancashire? Blackpool will only hold about 16,000 when it's complete and I wouldn't think the powers that be at Blackpool FC would want any more RL games on the pitch now that they've reached the promised land.

jim_57

Staff member
15-20,000 is a bit ambitious. And if Barcelona was chosen, why at the olympic stadium? too big, and not purpose built (has a running track). I just had a quick look on worldstadiums.com and there are two there, which each hold about 17k, so i think they'd be better choices (tho i don't know about location etc etc).

Ideally, I would have the Catalans game in Toulouse at their 20k rugby stadium (with Olympique Toulouse curtain raising with an NL1 fixture if possible). That way it's not a one-off wasted venture, as Barca and Paris would be.

Olympic Stadium because it's the one they used for the game last year and pretty sure the two you mentioned you would be hard pressed getting 5 metre in-goals on the pitch. Although ofcourse there may be better choices.

They got 18,000 for a game last year so I don't see why they couldn't get 10,000 traveling French, 2,000 travelling English and 3,000 locals. I would say the crowd for the Catalans semi will be bigger if played in France or Spain the the North of England.

Somewhere in France would be as good though, I just really hope they don't stick it in the same boring old grounds we've seen used year after year when they have a golden oppurtunity to liven up the Cup a bit.

langpark

First Grade
I highly doubt the French would take 10k to Barcelona, they seem to be averaging 5/6000 in their own backyard for SL matches.

Why take an all English semi (one of whom may be Leeds) to a ground further west than Lancashire? Blackpool will only hold about 16,000 when it's complete and I wouldn't think the powers that be at Blackpool FC would want any more RL games on the pitch now that they've reached the promised land.
Well that's why i put it as the last option I guess.

So when do the venues get announced then?

jim_57

Staff member
I highly doubt the French would take 10k to Barcelona, they seem to be averaging 5/6000 in their own backyard for SL matches.

Well that's why i put it as the last option I guess.

So when do the venues get announced then?

They did last year. Plus they'd be playing for something as opposed to their SL games.

WireMan

Bench
I hear on the street, Widnes is favorite for Wire vs Catalans.

Not sure about the other one, but it will prob be in Yorkshire.

did anyone expect anything else. lets face it given our luck that pesky ash cloud would have turned up again a day or two before the game.