What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change of scenery Evarn-sent for tough Tuimavave

Pumba

First Grade
Change of scenery Evarn-sent for tough Tuimavave
BY BRETT KEEBLE

KNIGHTS newcomer Evarn Tuimavave likened his initial training run in Newcastle to his NRL debut with the Warriors almost eight years ago.

As Newcastle's only significant off-season recruit, the 25-year-old front-rower admitted to a few first-day nerves when meeting his new teammates early last November but by the end of the session said he was made to feel like he was one of the boys.

The former New Zealand international should be welcomed just as warmly by Knights fans if he continues to play as well as he did in the team's 66-10 victory over Melbourne's reserve-graders at St John Oval last Saturday.

Tuimavave scored a try and was a dominant force in the middle as the Knights quickly established their authority against their outclassed Storm opponents but he acknowledged they faced a sterner test against a full-strength Penrith at Port Macquarie on Saturday night.

"It was an under-strength Melbourne team but in that first 40, we did all the stuff we practised in the off-season, so that was the pleasing thing," Tuimavave said.

"We stuck to our plan and when you're playing an under-strength team, I guess you've got to put some points on them.

"We'll get better as each game goes on. It's probably too early to get a gauge of that from the other night but once we play our full-strength NRL side, then we'll know more.

"I'm looking forward to playing Penrith, because Petero [Civoniceva] and their pack always fire, so it will be good to get a good run in against them before the opening rounds, if I get picked."

Tuimavave, who missed much of last season due to a serious neck injury, was 18 when he made his NRL debut for the Warriors against the Northern Eagles at Brookvale in September 2002.

He went on to play 105 games for the Auckland-based Warriors until leaving at the end of last year to pursue further goals in Newcastle.

When he agreed to terms on a two-year contract with the Knights, Brian Smith was still head coach but Tuimavave was just as keen to continue his rugby league education under Smith's replacement, Rick Stone.

"The Warriors wanted to re-sign me but I was at the stage where I thought I needed a new challenge," he said.

"I spoke to Stoney and just said that part of the reason I came over is because I wanted to learn more and become a better footballer.

"That was the big attraction coming to Newcastle and not being in Sydney.

"It was sort of like when I first started in first grade, cause I didn't really know most of the boys.

"I'd seen them and stuff like that but heaps of guys here have come from different clubs, so they knew how I felt when I first came here . . . Everyone's been really welcoming and all the boys are easy to get along with.

"There's no big egos or anything, so it's been easy to settle in.

"It's a pretty tight group and everyone enjoys everyone's company."

Stone said Tuimavave's easygoing nature made for a seamless transition "and he knew a few blokes here to start with".

"He has a good skill set in all areas of a front-rower's game, in offence and defence," Stone said.

"He's one of those blokes who was at the same club for a while and probably needed a change of environment to revitalise his game and his thinking a little bit.

"We'll have another look at him this weekend but I expect him to be one of those players challenging for one of the four front-row spots for the first game of the comp."

After playing one Test for the Kiwis in the Centenary World Cup in 2008, Tuimavave hopes to return to the international arena.

However, he said he was looking no further than making Newcastle's squad for the first game against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium, in Sydney, on March 13.

Herald

Rolla

Juniors
right........ Does it even rhyme? or am i pronouncing his name wrong and the r is silent?

Either way im looking forward to seeing him play.