What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes to 2018 tipping comp?

Rich102

Staff member
Last year we discussed some changes to the tipping comp.
Now is a good time to discuss it further.

The main need for change that I see is if somebody, for whatever reason, misses getting their tips in on time.
I think it is a bit harsh that they lose all the points for the round.

I suggested that, for missed games, the person gets the home team. Other suggestions were for the away team.
Let's have a discussion and then a vote. (First past the post, not MMP!)

Any other suggestions?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
They should get the away team imo. Home teams are generally favored, so if you miss your pick, while it's brutal you lose all your points then you should still be somewhat disadvantaged. Away team rule takes the cake.

I'm also open to if someone knows they will be unavailable for a week that they PM their picks in advance, the week before

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I'd also look at potentially if you get all 8 picks right (round MUST have 8 games) in a round, then you get a bonus point or two.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Missing a few games or even a whole round of picks can be THE reason for punters pulling out of the comp altogether so I understand the reason we're having this discussion. Obviously the upside is this helps punters to stay in the comp. The downside for me is that mr forgetful just might overtake a punter who did make their picks in on time.

Away teams is a good idea but I'd also suggest adding in the underdog if theres a massive difference. Reason being is, say for example - we getting thrashed, all our good players are out and the Broncos are at full strength, and are in form, and they play us at home, and they win. Those who fail to get the picks in on time should get the underdog if its a situation like I've described. Only problem I see with that is, its probably going to be more work for you rich to check the betting odds to see whos the massive underdog, so...

Anyway, how about doing a poll to see who would be willing to chip in $5 into account for a winner take all comp at the end of the season? Would we be breaching any gambling laws?

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I might take the tipping by default approach to my tips this year. Will probably finish higher than if I actually make the picks myself.

FWIW I vote the away rule too

Cold Roses

Juniors
Fair thing for me, would be getting the equal of the lowest score for the round. That way you don't miss out entirely, but you can't do better than someone who is performing consistently well.

Rich102

Staff member
Take your point Cold Roses. But I am also thinking of those who miss the first game of the round - particularly if it on a Thursday or they stay too late at the RSL on a Friday.
Also Zero it has to be simple, I don't want to spend hours calculating odds.

Still, good feedback.

TheDMC

Bench
Take your point Cold Roses. But I am also thinking of those who miss the first game of the round - particularly if it on a Thursday or they stay too late at the RSL on a Friday.
Also Zero it has to be simple, I don't want to spend hours calculating odds.

Still, good feedback.

I definitely think the best solution is one that involves Rich and complex calculations.

Or otherwise away teams for me. Nice and simple. Will keep people in the game fer sure.

If you get beaten by someone who relies on away team defaults for some rounds, probably says more about your tipping skills than an unfair system.

Still waiting for my trophy btw.

Happy 2018 all!

Rich102

Staff member
The feeling seems to be pretty much for the away team.
I am happy with this.

Anyone in favor of increasing the "all correct" bonus to 2 points?

Big Marn

Juniors
I am happy with this.

that sounds good. Or alternatively keep it as 1 point but as a reward for all correct, in the following round,you get to pick a game where you can get an automatic win ( for those particularly hairy games) Makes it a bit more tactical.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
One change I'm going to make this years comp is I'm ditching picking the Warriors in my weekly winning 8. I picked us 95% of the time and I came third in last years comp. Costly. I want gold!!!

TheDMC

Bench
I am happy with this.

I think 1 point bonus is fine, already getting plenty of points for the round with 100% tips.

vvvrulz

Coach
FWIW defaulting to away teams works for me.

Alternatives are defaulting to TAB non-favourites or the team lower on the ladder, so in theory you're getting the least likely result e.g. Newcastle or the Warriors at home (hah) is probably guaranteed points for the away team. .

But keeping it simple is also fine.

Rich102

Staff member
OK. So the consensus seems to be:
If you fail to enter a match you get the away team.
One bonus point for an 8 game "all correct" round.
5 points for correctly picking a 80 minute draw?