What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 dumping Friday night footy - Moving to Saturday

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
My preferred situation would be:
1 live Friday night game @ 7:30 on 9
1 live Saturday night game @ 7:30 on 9
2 other games on Saturday at 5:30 and 7:30 respectively live on Foxsports
2 games @ 2pm on Sunday live on FoxSports viewers choice
1 game @ 3pm on Sunday on 9
1 game as is on Monday night

I don't see FoxSports agreeing to that kind of arrangement though.

Hanscholo

Bench
I think its a great move. I grew up with the ABC saturday afternoon games and there is nothing better than on a cold wet saturday to sit down and watch a good game of footy. The two games on a friday leave me a bit cold, i usually end up leaving the last of them at the first sign of something better to do.

DeeJ

Bench
I'd like a game on Saturday arvo/night free to air but also keep at least one live Friday night game.

AFL is on Friday, Saturday and Sunday here from afternoon to night. It should be NRL, especially in QLD.

parano1a

Juniors
Great... give Nine a 4pm Saturday game so us in Melbourne get the privilege of watching it at 12.45am Sunday morning following the 10th annual airing of Big Momma's House 2... no thanks. Keep one day for Fox so those outside NSW and QLD actually get a chance to watch live NRL.

sethman75

Juniors
I would be a fan of Saturday arvo games but not the expense of the Friday night match.

It would be a mistake for the Friday game to be scrapped as alot of people just want to kick back after a long week of work and support their team.

There is nothing better than that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think its a great move. I grew up with the ABC saturday afternoon games and there is nothing better than on a cold wet saturday to sit down and watch a good game of footy. The two games on a friday leave me a bit cold, i usually end up leaving the last of them at the first sign of something better to do.

Going Hanscholo?

Sorry, couldn't resist :sarcasm:

Timmah

Staff member
I would be a fan of Saturday arvo games but not the expense of the Friday night match.

It would be a mistake for the Friday game to be scrapped as alot of people just want to kick back after a long week of work and support their team.

There is nothing better than that.
Looks like someone only read the thread title and not the content... :lol:

FNF will stay, they'd cut it back from two to one.

Patsy

Juniors
i would like to see ch 9 do something like this
Fri

scrap thur night footy show and replace it with a friday night footy show at 7.30pm to discuss the weekends game and in particular the friday night game.

8.15pm live footy

Sat
ch 9 to show a 4.30pm game

fox to show 2 games starting at 6.30pm & 8.30pm

sun

fox 12 noon and 2pm and ch 9 4pm

mon

monday night footy

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Clearly Gallop isnt going to give us another Sunday arvo game because it wont be shown live unless its at 12 midday on Sunday which will not be approved by the clubs or the fans. It wont be shown on either Fox or Nine if its in the afternoon because it wont be live . So the 2 friday night games are going to stay for a while I think.

A benefit of having 2 Friday night games is that there is almost a guarenteed Qld and NSW audience every friday night. If we expand to 18 teams in a few years time, hopefully another Qld team, what if we did something similar on Sunday's and maybe Saturdays? Im sure that the NRL, Fox and Nine could work out a deal where in NSW we could have the NSW game on Nine at 4pm and on Fox at 6pm we could show the game that was shown in Queensland and in Queensland on Nine at 4pm, Qld would have the Qld game shown and then at 6pm on Fox could have the game that was shown on Nine in NSW. So to make it look simpler:
9 Match Weekend
Friday
NSW: 7:30 - Nine - NSW game - live
9:30 - Nine - Qld game
Qld: 7:30 - Nine - Qld game - live
9:30 - Nine - NSW game
Saturday
All: 5:30 - Fox - any game - live
7:30 - Fox - viewers choice - live
7:30 - Fox - viewers choice - live
Sunday
ALL: 2pm - Fox - Any game - live
NSW: 4pm - Nine - NSW game
6pm - Fox - Qld game
QLD: 4pm - Nine - Qld game
6pm - Fox - NSW game
Monday
Monday night footy on Fox. - live

This way, Fox and Nine get a good broadcast into both markets, except Fox dont get either game live but the NRL would get more money from Nine, hopefully, for catering to both states, twice a week and we have more day games. Over all, Fox at themoment gets 5 games live and Nine get 2. In my model, Fox still get 5 games live but will be the first to broadcast into the other state on Sunday arvo whereas Nine will have near live broadcasts into both states on Sundays. Im sure that last Sundays match with the Tigers vs Rabbitohs would have rated better in Qld if it was Tigers vs Titans.

Im also think we should put a game on FTA on Saturdays to directly compete with the AFL, it should drain alot of sponsorship dollars from 10 in that time slot. Surley for just one year we can try putting a game there and see if it works, it has twice so far. With my model, just take one of the Sunday games on Nine and put it at 2 or 3pm Saturday on Nine

Could be some problems with people trying to get a signal from the other state, but that surley cant be hard to solve.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
The easiest way to get the extra game, as someone already mentioned, is to play one game instead of two at 7.30 on Saturday, and make the Sunday arvo game viewers choice.

Perhaps Auckland could get a deal where all of their home games are Sunday afternoon? That way we get the midday game that Gallop seems so keen on every second week.

aarondoyle

Juniors
I prefer the 2 Friday night games. People work Saturday, there's kids sport... Saturday afternoon would be sh1thouse for ratings too i would have thought.

Timmah

Staff member
I prefer the 2 Friday night games. People work Saturday, there's kids sport... Saturday afternoon would be sh1thouse for ratings too i would have thought.

See, the AFL still manage crowds 20,000 or more than our season average on Saturday afternoon in Melbourne, that's where your theory dies in the arse.

As I said, we need a trial for at least half a season or a full season to see how it will go.

imasharkie

Coach
If they move the 2nd game completely to Saturday arvo, I would be happy. Cannot stand 2 Friday night games. By the time the second game comes round, I cbf watching another one from start to finish... especially with the game being delayed and longer commercials. Nope, doesn't work for me.

I rarely watch the 2nd Friday night game, sometimes I start to watch it but by the time the 2nd round of adds come in the 10th minute, I've had enough. Sometimes I watch the replay on Fox, which is add free.
The NRL should specify that whoever gets the rights next time play all games live. There's sooo much difference when watching a live game comparred to a delayed broadcast.

Loudstrat

Coach
The only broblem with 2 friday night games is on is always a friggin Broncos game. If they shared it around between the other non Sydney sides it would be so much fairer. No reason why Auckland shouldn't provide a host of Friday nighters, or Canberra for that matter.

As for Sunday at 12 - Footy for breakfast. Stupid idea.

Should be 3 games on at 3pm each Sunday. It sould be the day for the crowds.

The live TV nutters have Super Saturday. The FTA lounge lizards have Friday. Sunday needs to be as is. One broadcast at 4.30 on FTA, the other 2 on Poxtel whenever.

The big problem with scheduling for TV is that the clubs do not get compensated for poorer crowds. The NRL has to decide which master it serves.

BTW, Super Saturday is a decent compromise - can always slot a Cowpats/Storm home game in as their crowds don't sem to be affected as much. But Charlie is right - Saturday Arvo footy is not the drawcard timeslot. In reality - there are only two: Friday 7.30, and Sunday 3pm - complete with Big League, a cold pie, and 2 lower grade games.

Loudstrat

Coach
See, the AFL still manage crowds 20,000 or more than our season average on Saturday afternoon in Melbourne, that's where your theory dies in the arse.

As I said, we need a trial for at least half a season or a full season to see how it will go.

That';s Melbourne. It's always been the case down there.
Tell us what happens on Planet Earth instead.

mattyg

Bench
My ideal round of games

1. Friday, 7.30pm (Live, Ch 9)
2. Saturday, 3.30pm (Live, Fox)
3. Saturday, 5.30pm (Live, Fox)
4. Saturday, 7.30pm (Live, Fox)
5. Sunday, 2.00pm (Live, Fox Viewers Choice)
6. Sunday, 2.00pm (Live, Fox Viewers Choice)
7. Sunday, 4.00pm (Live, Ch 9)
8. Monday, 7.00pm (Live, Fox)

If Warriors are on at home you can move a viewers choice game to 12pm. I wouldn't mind if one of those games was actually played at 12pm every week, but I dunno if that would be too early for the crowds to show up on sundays. :lol:

Gives you 4 day, 4 night games.
TV companies happy, fans happy.

Noa

First Grade
I guarentee if people gave it a chance 12pm sundays would be a winner. You dont have to leave home till 10-11am and your home by just in time to watch the 4pm game on nine.

Latest posts