What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 playing both sides of the field

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I wonder when Channel 9 will start taking League seriously.

So they're deadset keen on retaining the rights to League in 2012, Friday Night Footy is the best ratings they get consistently, and State of Origin pulls a million viewers EASILY every year.

And now 60 minutes are pulling a story out of their arse about brain damage caused by playing Football (League and AFL alike).

It counts more against League simply because its Channel 9's "Flagship Journalistic broadcast" reporting the story. What the f**k are these dickheads smoking? I respect they're exploring their Media objectivity but ffs, what a brilliant way to hurt Junior Football then to play with the Nanny State card.

dragondad

First Grade
Ch 10 provide great coverage of sport I find, wouldn't mind them showing the Nrl. I think they may show Saturday night Swans games on 30min delay though.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Ch 10 provide great coverage of sport I find, wouldn't mind them showing the Nrl. I think they may show Saturday night Swans games on 30min delay though.

mmm, careful what you wish for. TV stations are like governments, they promise plenty but once they have power their actions are based on what suits them....

no pun intended, but 7,9 & 10 all like putting the boot into league because they know it's the number one winter sport & any story will grab people's attention

sovereign

Juniors
Are you geniused?

Are they not allowed to be impartial because they have the rights to the NRL? Actually I wouldn't even call it impartial, brain damage from heavy hits/minor concussions is scientifically proven fact and other contact sports like the NFL/Union are changing their rules to accommodate, if you cared about NRL or the players you would pull your head out of your arse and listen to the story.

Parra

Referee
Media outlets slanting news stories due to commercial considerations is a travesty - yet we see people in this thread whinging that Ch 9 did the opposite?

supercharger

Juniors
Dont be so paranoid this is a very serious issue
chris henry cincinnati bengals reciever who died last year. Had developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy he was only 26 and his records show he was never diagnosed with concussion during his time with the bengals or WVU
Researchers believe CTE is caused by multiple head impacts regardless of whether those blows result in a concussion diagnosis
It doesnt even take a collision with another player for brain trauma to occur
The brain floats freely in your skull if you're moving very quickly and suddenly stop
the brain bounces and over time.. with repetition that causes big problems

Last edited:

Sleep

Juniors
I'm with the above poster. Over in the NFL it's become even bigger than it has here.

I don't think people realise how bad it is for guys to be getting concussions regularly and then backing up. Remember Dallas Johnson getting knocked the f**k out and then returning to the field? That should of never happened.

The damage it does down the track is outright scary. More caution and care needs to be taken or these guys will end up vegetables down the track.

supercharger

Juniors
Exactly a number of studies including one commissioned by the NFL,
have found that retired professional football players may have a higher rate than normal of alzeimers disease and other memory problems
the neurosurgeon and medical examiner co-directors of the brain injury research institute at WVU have now analyzed the brains of 27 modern athletes,and the majority showed evidence of CTE

eaglerock

Juniors
Dont be so paranoid this is a very serious issue
chris henry cincinnati bengals reciever who died last year had developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy he was only 26 and his records show he was never diagnosed with concussion during his time with the bengals or WVU
Researchers believe CTE is caused by multiple head impacts regardless of whether those blows result in a concussion diagnosis
It doesnt even take a collision with another player for brain trauma to occur
The brain floats freely in your skull if you're moving very quickly and suddenly stop
the brain bounces and over time.. with repetition that causes big problems

FACTS FIRST CHAMPION

The late Chris Henry, died because he fell off the back of his friends ute at speed, and suffered critical head injuries....not because of NFL infact it had nothing to do with contact in or around the NFL as stated by the coroner and the NFL commissioner

supercharger

Juniors
NO i know he died as a result of falling from the pick up
I DIDN'T SAY HE DIED AS A RESULT OF CTE BUT RATHER HE HAD DEVELOPED CTE READ IT AGAIN
the doctors had done a microscopic tissue analysis of henrys brain showed he suffered from CTE

Alex28

Coach
It counts more against League simply because its Channel 9's "Flagship Journalistic broadcast" reporting the story. What the f**k are these dickheads smoking?
The geniuses behind 60 Minutes employed Mark Latham as a journalist last week.

Clearly they are smoking something, and it is good sh*t!

yawn

Juniors
FACTS FIRST CHAMPION

The late Chris Henry, died because he fell off the back of his friends ute at speed, and suffered critical head injuries....not because of NFL infact it had nothing to do with contact in or around the NFL as stated by the coroner and the NFL commissioner

The fact he died meant they could take posession of his brain and do intense investigations into it.

bobbis

Juniors
The helmuts in NFL make this sort of damage far more frequent. You can make head to head contact without splitting each other open. In rugby league if you go in head first even if you don't get knocked out you'll likely be split open and have blood pouring out. Thus players do their best to avoid making contact with the head. In the NFL players often tackle with their head, you're taught very early that that is a bad idea in rugby league. Not suggesting its not a problem but the results used pertained to another sport with different techniques and frequency of those types of contact.

fourplay

Juniors
The helmuts in NFL make this sort of damage far more frequent. You can make head to head contact without splitting each other open. In rugby league if you go in head first even if you don't get knocked out you'll likely be split open and have blood pouring out. Thus players do their best to avoid making contact with the head. In the NFL players often tackle with their head, you're taught very early that that is a bad idea in rugby league. Not suggesting its not a problem but the results used pertained to another sport with different techniques and frequency of those types of contact.

Yeah look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bbk8htj6hQ

It's like that episode of Simpsons where Homers family put saucepans on their head and run into each other.