What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chicka Moore gone to the big footy field

Quigs

Immortal
First I have heard of it Coastal...

Was a real character of the game. During his era every supporter from every club knew who the lanky baldy bloke playing for the Bluebags was.

Chicka Moore.

R.I.P. Chicka.

(My old Pop Langford - an old Sydneyham man, long time gone now, will be up there at the fence cheering Chicka onto the field.)

1970-Brian_Moore_Mobil_card.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone has a right to be cranky, espcially somone coaching a sporting team. I think I only saw Chicka play live once, when the Sharkies played the Jets as the match of the day in mid 1973 at the Cricket Ground. But he was a tough competitor and loyal to the one club.

And he was one of the people responsible for resurrecting the Jets in the late 80s - early 90s.

Quigs

Immortal
Off the top of me 'ead.

I believe it was the Bluebags that helped make up the final four back in 1973 when we won our way into our first GF.

I think (not sure) we beat Newtown - and Stinking Stains to win a rematch with The Hartleys of Brookvale who had given us a touch up in the Major Semi.

I'm sorry I can't possitively remember it - I mean it was only 41 years ago.

island pro

Juniors
He was 'The Marshal' at my high school some 15 years ago. The hard-arse disciplinarian who's sole job it was to strut around throwing venom and keeping people in line. He used to give me hell, dry shaved me once. I watched him walk into a blue and start dishing out his own form of justice. To us kids the bloke seemed nuts, but in hindsight, he was the reason a lot of us never ended up in deeper strife.

RIP Marshal Moore.

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Just saw this on the Facebook

Funeral Notice - Brian "Chicka" Moore
Eastern Suburbs Crematorium
South Chapel
Military Rd Matraville
10:30am Friday 31st October
Followed by a gathering at The Henson front bar from 12:00noon

bluebag43

Juniors
Full respect to you my Cronulla friends for your kind words regarding Chicka.

He was an absolute legend in our club and made the Bluebag Team of the Century.

He was Australia's leading try scorer on the 67/68 Kangaroo Tour with 10 tries. He also scored 90 first grade tries in his 173 game career with Newtown.

Newtown did make the top 4 in 1973 and knocked both Canterbury and St George out (beating the St George in a mid week replay at the Sorts Ground after drawing with them on the weekend before at the SCG

Newtown then played Cronulla in the Final for the right to play Manly in the GF. Cronulla won 20-11 and the rest is history as you all know leading to the most brutal GF ever played. Unfortunately the end of the story did not please any of us.

Go Newtown and the Sharks in 2015!

Quigs

Immortal
Good on you Bluebag.

You would of loved chatting to my old Pop. He loved his bluebags and hated Facer and the Stains for rorting the system and getting Raper off Newtown.

Anyhow, I hope Chicka gets the send off he deserves.

The Popper

Bench
Great to see a tribute thread to Brian Moore. A great centre in an era of great centres (Gaz, etc). His partnership with Bobby Keyes was legendary. Many pleasant memories.
And still enjoy the odd trip to Henson to watch the NSW Cup. We're teamed with the Jets again this year. Always liked 'em. Ray Preston, Dick Poole, Punchy Clifford, Kev Considine, Henry Holloway, Shire resident Bob Carnegie, Narvo. The list just goes on.

Card Shark

Immortal
Just saw this on the Facebook

Funeral Notice - Brian "Chicka" Moore
Eastern Suburbs Crematorium
South Chapel
Military Rd Matraville
10:30am Friday 31st October
Followed by a gathering at The Henson front bar from 12:00noon

Hope they still have a stash of KB to salute the legend on his departure from this earth.

I'm tipping there will be about 8,972 mourners at the funeral.

bottle

Coach
I was at a game at the SCG between Cronulla and Newtown so I'm wondering if it was that 73 final. Seems about the right era.
I think it was Chicka who decked a very young Steve Rogers as Chicka was at marker and Sludge was getting up to play the ball.
Can anyone else's memory help me out here?

bluebag43

Juniors
Bottle you are correct!

Chicka did give it to a young Steve Rogers in that Final at the SCG.

That was just a warm up for the Manly GF.

As everyone knows that's what it was like those days, let's say the old welcome to First Grade!

Latest posts