What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chief inspired Perry to sign and Abes re-signs for 2 more ye

Spike

First Grade
A heart-to-heart chat over coffee with Newcastle legend Paul Harragon convinced Josh Perry to re-sign with the Knights for another two years.

"I had a couple of meetings with Chief and a couple of coffees and he was just saying what I was thinking anyway," said NSW Origin prop Perry.

"To be the best front-rower I can be, it's going to be here.

"With the infrastructure around me I can't really go wrong and get a better place to do it.

"There's a lot of other stuff he said too but that was the main thing."

Perry knocked back about $200,000 over two seasons by rejecting offers from National Rugby League clubs Melbourne, Parramatta, Wests Tigers and Canberra.

Former Test forward Harragon played all his 152 first grade games with the Knights and was instrumental in persuading his teammates to sign loyalty agreements with the ARL in early 1995.

His commitment for the Knights could never be questioned as he battled a succession of shoulder and knee injuries to play for his team, enjoying the sweets of success in 1997 when Newcastle won its maiden premiership.

Knights coach Michael Hagan was stoked, especially after talented back-rower Daniel Abraham re-signed for another two years.

"I couldn't express how happy I was when he (Perry) rang me and I think it was a great occasion for Josh and the club that he's agreed to stay at least a couple more years," Hagan said.

"I think he's made the right decision and ... between now and the end of the year we'll see Josh play his best football because he knows that's all been put behind me.

"I don't think anyone particularly enjoys the contractual distractions that go on this time of year."

Hagan believed the club was in a strong position to maintain its status as a competition heavyweight, with players like Perry and Abraham on the books.

"Daniel Abraham is in the same category (as Perry). He's been outstanding in every game this year and was close to our best on the weekend," Hagan said in reference to Newcastle's 30-16 victory over Parramatta.

The Queensland assistant coach added he wanted players from Newcastle and the Hunter Valley region aspiring to play for the Knights.

AAP

It's good that Perry came to his senses and chose loyalty over the dollar. He still needs to work on his discipline on the field but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm also stoked that Abes has decided to sign on for 2 more.

Out of the rest I'd like to see Robbie O stay on for another year or two. Also I think Craig Hall, Matt Kennedy and Todd Lowrie need to be re-signed.

All of these players can go as far as i'm conerned:

AdamMacDougall
Luke Quigley
Justin Ryder
Josh Smith
Reegan Tanner
Matt Jobson - looks like signing with the chop shop anyway
Todd Bates
Brock Mueller
Trent Estatheo? where is this guy anyway :?

roopy

Referee
Esatheo only played about 10 minutes of Premier League before going off with his knee bunged up again. I think he should give it away, which is a shame because he could have been anything if injuries had stayed away.

The only one i'd be keen to keep from your list would be Tanner. I think he might develop further.

Jedda

Juniors
I think its fantastic that Daniel Abraham has re-signed.

I'm still undecided on the Perry situation, his disipline issues worry me, but I guess time will tell if the Knights made the right decision in keeping him.

Whats the opinion of Robbie staying? Do we have a budding fullback waiting to step up or do we have a spot available for another year. If he's willing to play for another year and we need more time for juniors to develop then I hope he gets re-signed.

roopy

Referee
Jedda said:
I think its fantastic that Daniel Abraham has re-signed.

I'm still undecided on the Perry situation, his disipline issues worry me, but I guess time will tell if the Knights made the right decision in keeping him.

Whats the opinion of Robbie staying? Do we have a budding fullback waiting to step up or do we have a spot available for another year. If he's willing to play for another year and we need more time for juniors to develop then I hope he gets re-signed.
We have Michael Young in Premier League who looks very promising to me, but he might need a bit more time as he is only 19. We also have 18 yo Blake Tremain-Cannon in the junior development squad. He is still learning, but he has the asset of being the fastest guy at the club and a real speedster of Darren Albert quality. In the development game last week the two wingers were racing down the sideline with the Parra guy pulling away from our winger, and Blake flew past our winger and cut him down in about ten strides - knocked him over the sideline as well.
I'd like to see Robbie stay on reasonable money for a year, by then we should have Michael or Blake ready to take over.

Spike

First Grade
yeah i'd very much like Robbie to stay on for another year until Young takes over but i've become sceptical since Jared Taylor signed. I can't see any reason as to why the Knights would want to sign him unless they were considering using him to replace Robbie, as fullback is Taylors preferred position.

~bedsy~

First Grade
It's good that Perry and Abes have both re-signed.
Cheif told Perry the same thing that was told to him, when he got an offer from the Broncos..... He said imagine you have just won a premiership, your holding the trophey with your team mates.... now look down and tell me what colour socks your wearing? Cheif, Joey and Perry all saw blue and red socks.

Latest posts