What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chip and chase

nqcowboy87

Bench
i was talking to my cousin from south australia recently and i was telling him about the one and only game of afl i ever played(it was at school for an interschool sports comp and i missed the bus to go play touch footy) and i told him how i in the game i chipped and chased over the top regathered on the full and kicked a goal, and he said that is an illegal move cause you cant kick to yourself, even though the ref never pulled it up at the tgime, is it illegal or is it allowed

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Of course you can kick to yourself. You see players kick to themselves from a restart after a behind all the time. Only thing is that it doesnt constitute a mark therefore you cant stop but its play on. But there is no problem with doing a chip and chase and regathering however the opposition will shephard you off the ball so it wouldnt be very effective.

Chip and chase getting the ball back on the full is a free kick as you have been in posession of the ball for more than 15m without bouncing. It would be the same as handballing over an opponents head and getting it back. But if you kick or handball the ball and it hits the ground and you re-gather then it's ok.

meltiger

First Grade
^ WTF

Have you a source for that?

As soon as you kick or handball you have relinquished posession

If you run 20m handballing or kicking in the air to yourself then you have run to far whilst in posession. If you run 20m handballing or kicking the ball touching the ground before re-gathering then that's ok.

CyberKev

Staff member
^^^

I'm giving a follow-up WTF??!! I'm not sure that kicking to yourself would be seen as being any different to bouncing the ball. When a player gets foot to ball during an attempted tackle he is judged to have disposed of the ball.

Not that it really matters either way, as I've never actually seen anyone try to go on a prolonged run, whilst regular kicking to themselves.

Good thing to, as not only would you look like a total Magillacutty, but there's a 99.9% chance you'll get creamed by a tackle and turnover possession anyway (particularly at the higher levels).

CyberKev

Staff member
Actually, Collingwood Storm would appear to be correct (refer (b))

15.2.2 R emaining in Possession and Bouncing the Football​
(a) A Player may remain in possession of the football for any
length of time:
(i) unless the Player is Correctly Tackled by an opponent; or
(ii) unless directed to dispose of the football by a field
Umpire; or
(iii) provided the Player complies with Law 15.2.2 (b).
(b) Where a Player is moving whilst in possession of the football,
he or she must bounce or touch the football on the ground
at least once every 15 metres, irrespective of whether such
Player is running in a straight line or otherwise. For the
purposes of this Law, a Player shall be deemed to be in
possession of the football during the period when the Player
handballs the football to himself or herself and regains
possession without the football touching the ground.
(c) A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player if he
or she is of the opinion that a Player has contravened Law​
15.2.2 (b).

http://www.afl.com.au/portals/0/afl_docs/development/umpiring/laws of football_2008.pdf

meltiger

First Grade
Well there you go

Utterly ridiculous. Harder to keep posession of the footy handballing to yourself than bouncing

Are you serious?

Handballing is much easier to control and then try get around your opponent. Bouncing you need to concentrate on the ball coming back from the ground and your opponent and if you get tackled while bouncing it's a freekick immediately.

meltiger

First Grade
I didn't say bouncing the ball when trying to evade an opponent. That is simply stupid because if you get caught you get pinged.

I just meant bouncing in general.

Latest posts