What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Anderson must be smiling on the inside

troydodds

Juniors
I hope Chris Anderson has a huge smile on the inside after the Sharks poor start to the year.

When will the management of clubs start to realise that sacking a coach is not always the answer to on-field problems.

I am a firm believer that any contract should be honoured and fully support Anderson taking the club to court.

There's plenty wrong with the Sharks and their form thus far this year is proving that Chris Anderson certainly wasn't the major problem.

At least the players respected him.

You're kidding troydodds. I don't want to relive the past, but this is Anderson's hand-picked team playing with the discipline he taught them. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Raper will change it, but it will take time, like it did for Elliott at the Raiders (who never had these discipline problems to contend with).

To see what a mess Anderson made, you only have to look at the No 6 for the Panthers...

mightypanther

Juniors
I'm sorry eternaltreblinka,

Do we take that as a compliment or an insult to our beloved No. 6 ??? #-o

I'm hoping you meant it as a compliment to the wonderful form that he is showing now ??? :lol:

skeepe

Immortal
I heard something amusing from a Sharks fan at the ground on Saturday night before the game had started that I thought summed up what I think nicely:

"Anderson wants to sue us for ruining his reputation... Surely we can counter-sue him for doing the same thing to us?"

PB

Bench
Yep.

It is easier to come to a club and teach new stradgies and playing styles, than it is to change the mind set and attitude of 25 individuals.

Anderson's input into that club will take quite some time to change.

brook

First Grade
Raper actually impressed me with the comments after the match

he mentioned the penaltys and how no club could win with such a lopsided count and I was preparing to write it off as another 'whinging coach' situation, but he proceeded to level the blame for that situation exactly where it belonged - his players.

He has inherited a lot of players with a history of niggling tactics and ill-discipline (along with some who are known for nothing of the sort), it takes time to change the culture of a club and I'd give him time - if evidence shows in a few rounds that he is coming down on those players who deserve it the sharks will be the better team for it in the long term.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
anderson was the one who got the sharks into this predicament in the first place. he cleaned out the club, brought crap players in and did f**k all with them in the 2 years he was there.

what we're seeing now is andersons legacy

Eels Dude

Coach
Discipline wise, Cronulla's performance was nowhere near as bad as their dreadful effort against Parramatta late last season. In this case at least Raper aknowledges there is a problem rather than just blame it on the ref like Anderson.

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
Pierced Soul said:
anderson was the one who got the sharks into this predicament in the first place. he cleaned out the club, brought crap players in and did f**k all with them in the 2 years he was there.

what we're seeing now is andersons legacy

No doubt. It will take Raper at least another month or so to implement his system and discipline at the club. He seems like a smart, level-headed guy - not rushing to blame refs or anything. Overturning the loser/brain-dead culture Anderson created will not be easy, but I think he'll do ok.

I think in time Raper will do great at the Shraks, but I hope that their fans and mor eimportantly, the board, can see that this won't be a quick fix. I see another average year or two before any real success comes their way. As long as they improve their attitude, application and playing list to some degree, they will be alright in time.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
What a stupid thread this is, its not Stuart Raper's fault he is stuck with a bunch of players who have passed their best and some mainly reserve graders.

If they kept Treister, Campbell, Dykes, Graham and Mellor when Raper took over they'd be winning games by now.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The season is far from over.

BTW mightypanther - it was a compliment - Cronulla supporters love seeing Preston killing 'em.

skeepe

Immortal
I think this year could well be a write off for the Sharks - Raper won't really be able to make his mark on the side until the silly season starts and he's able to recruit the players that HE wants in the team.

mightypanther said:
I'm sorry eternaltreblinka,

Do we take that as a compliment or an insult to our beloved No. 6 ??? #-o

I'm hoping you meant it as a compliment to the wonderful form that he is showing now ??? :lol:
Sorry mightypanther for the confusion. As Mr Angry said, definitely a compliment. :)

Cupid Stunt

How can Anderson be blamed for the shite state of affairs in the Shire? Can people honestly say he sent it backwards? Most of the players continually mentioned that he let go were the same cattle Lang had used for years prior that went nowhere. Wouldnt it make more sense to shoot the arrows at Lang considering Ando was in much the same circumstance that Raper now has. What was Anderson supposed to have done in such a short time?

It seems odd to say Raper will need time yet Anderson was supposed to of had it done in an instant.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well see Cupid Stunt

We were one game off the Grand Final in 2001 after many 6 years of being finalists.
Lang left to go to Penrith.
CA took over.
2002 came 4th same as year before, despite adding BK an above average halfback to the playing roster.
Discarded Preston Campbell, Nick Graham et al
2003 came 12th. (Worse position for 7-8 years)
CA sacked
2004 has not started well.
I do not blame CA entirely, but I am on record as saying "whatever the result this year CA gets some of the credit or criticism as he basically assembled this squad".
Thus far it is criticism, but should the Sharks improve and this becomes praise CA gets some of that too.

As for him smiling on the inside, probably is, watching the guys he assembled losing must be very satisfying for him. :evil:

Latest posts