What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary v Ponga

TheDMC

Bench
I was stirring. I thought the trolling was obvious. 20 times better than Joey? It's clearly going to be 25 times better than the greatest ever halfback. :p

The quote of mine you posted was one line of an extremely long post that basically said Cleary will be 10 times the player Joey is in comparison to the shit around him.

Todays quality of halves as a whole is terrible compared to the talent when Joey was playing. If he played today he would look like 100 times the player he did back then.

Im confused. If Clearly will be 20 times better than Joey was, but Joey would be 100 times better now than he was back then, how much better than Cleary is Joey? Or is Cleary better?

Mathletics was never my strong point.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Ponga easily. It's not even a contest. Cleary is a decent organiser and kicker but is nowhere near as dangerous attacking the line. Ponga is even a better passer.

If Ponga plays like he has this season consistently for several years, he'll easily surpass Slater as the best fullback. He has more strings to his bow.

Surely Newcastle's best signing ever. Halfway through his first full season and he shits on everyone else from a great height and is Queensland's only chance of not sucking.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ponga will end up @ 6, like Lockyer in the end you want him touching the football,as much as possible.

Hold him back @ fullback so he does not have to defend as much as a young man.

Cleary will be a great 7 inside him for Australia

Vic Mackey

Referee
Dont see why it has to be a contest. Both are terrific players in totally different positions. Probably the 2 best 20 years olds we've seen since SBW.

Obviously Panthers fans will say Cleary and Knights fans will say Ponga, those opinions will drastically change when they both end up at the Roosters in a few years

mxlegend99

Referee
Im confused. If Clearly will be 20 times better than Joey was, but Joey would be 100 times better now than he was back then, how much better than Cleary is Joey? Or is Cleary better?

Mathletics was never my strong point.
On todays scale Joey would be 5 times better than Cleary at his absolute best.

And about 500 times better than Pearce

mxlegend99

Referee
Dont see why it has to be a contest. Both are terrific players in totally different positions. Probably the 2 best 20 years olds we've seen since SBW.

Obviously Panthers fans will say Cleary and Knights fans will say Ponga, those opinions will drastically change when they both end up at the Roosters in a few years
The 2 shittiest players since Boyd Fraudner.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The problem with guys like Ponga is that some coach will decide he needs to bulk up which will impact his freakish athleticism. Happened with guys like Dugan and Milford, you watch those guys when they first burst on to the scene compared to a few years later and they move nothing like they used to.

typicalfan

Coach
Ponga will end up @ 6, like Lockyer in the end you want him touching the football,as much as possible.

Hold him back @ fullback so he does not have to defend as much as a young man.

Cleary will be a great 7 inside him for Australia
Unlikely with Munster around unless he plays fullback.

The problem with guys like Ponga is that some coach will decide he needs to bulk up which will impact his freakish athleticism. Happened with guys like Dugan and Milford, you watch those guys when they first burst on to the scene compared to a few years later and they move nothing like they used to.
Dugan was never really known for being that fleet of foot and he’s not that big now anyway.

Milf just had a few too many cheeseburgers to accommodate moving to 6, he can still move like Fred Astaire though.

Ponga will naturally get bigger but coaches aren’t geniused they’re not going to ruin him.

Noname36

First Grade

I’m pretty sure only stupid coaches think like that.

Everyone at the Knights is tiny so I doubt there will be an issue there. He’s not even that small compared to some at the club.

Dave_

Juniors
Absolutely. A lot of people forget how quick and athletic Dugan was when he was skinny at the Raiders. Also, Milfplod could really move when he was skinny at the Raiders. Funny that, because now everyone is fat...at the Raiders