What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching Notes

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors
These five points that I have listed below is imperative for a successful Souths season. If we get these points right. We will make the top six.

1) From Round 12-17 in 2009 we lost every match with only one draw to the Eels. This is utterly disgraceful. We can not afford to do this and compete in the top eight this year. It is highly unlikely we will have any state of origin representation this year unless David Taylor makes the Queensland bench.
Therefore we need to win atleast three games from round 12-17 this year.

2) Defence. Last year we had an awesome attack and we scored 566 points but our defence leaked in 547 points. This isn't good enough to compete with the big boys. Most of the top six teams last year had a 100 point buffer between for and against.

3) Penalties. Last year we were on the losing side for the majority of the season. The lack of discipline and slow movement off the ball cost us dearly. It's not rocket science. If souths players tackle slower, it means they have less chance to get the ball back and score tries if they are losing the match. For example, in round 13 last year we played against the Cowboys in Townsville. We were behind the penalty count by 7-3.

4) Bombs to the wingers. This is one area in my oppinion we did not capitalise last year. Sandow has to improve in this area. Isaac Luke is not good enough to do kicks of this nature. Therefore it only leaves John Sutton with this task. That is a heap of responsibility on his shoulders. Sutton is good at bombs but mainly they land midfield and not to the wingers.

5) Short kicks rolling into the goal. We have one of the best nippy halfbacks in the game. If we can't score a try off a set near the line, do a grubber , tackle them in goal, and get a repeat set. Pressure wins games. Repeat sets tires the big forwards of the other teams. The Gold Coast Titans have done this many times in 2009. By doing a grubber kick, even if they make it outside their in goal area, they still have to work the ball up the field for another forty metres. Grubber kicks also have a high rate of causing handling errors.

MattJ

Juniors
You say "we" amd "our" as though Souths are your team.... I could have sworn you were a storm supporter.

hunters

Juniors
Wow what insight. Keys to winning - point 1 don't lose. That's fricken genius thinking.

slammingsam

Juniors
I cant imagine too many dummyhalfs would be able to put a chip in the corner for there winger directly from the play the ball.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
These five points that I have listed below is imperative for a successful Souths season. If we get these points right. We will make the top six.

1) From Round 12-17 in 2009 we lost every match with only one draw to the Eels. This is utterly disgraceful. We can not afford to do this and compete in the top eight this year. It is highly unlikely we will have any state of origin representation this year unless David Taylor makes the Queensland bench.
Therefore we need to win atleast three games from round 12-17 this year.

2) Defence. Last year we had an awesome attack and we scored 566 points but our defence leaked in 547 points. This isn't good enough to compete with the big boys. Most of the top six teams last year had a 100 point buffer between for and against.

3) Penalties. Last year we were on the losing side for the majority of the season. The lack of discipline and slow movement off the ball cost us dearly. It's not rocket science. If souths players tackle slower, it means they have less chance to get the ball back and score tries if they are losing the match. For example, in round 13 last year we played against the Cowboys in Townsville. We were behind the penalty count by 7-3.

4) Bombs to the wingers. This is one area in my oppinion we did not capitalise last year. Sandow has to improve in this area. Isaac Luke is not good enough to do kicks of this nature. Therefore it only leaves John Sutton with this task. That is a heap of responsibility on his shoulders. Sutton is good at bombs but mainly they land midfield and not to the wingers.

5) Short kicks rolling into the goal. We have one of the best nippy halfbacks in the game. If we can't score a try off a set near the line, do a grubber , tackle them in goal, and get a repeat set. Pressure wins games. Repeat sets tires the big forwards of the other teams. The Gold Coast Titans have done this many times in 2009. By doing a grubber kick, even if they make it outside their in goal area, they still have to work the ball up the field for another forty metres. Grubber kicks also have a high rate of causing handling errors.

I obviously wouldn't waste my time reading that, and I didn't. But why would you bother spending the time to write notes about a team that you wanted to be kicked out of the competition less than 12 months ago.

You idiot.

Isaaxe

Juniors
John Lang has already been working to address the 1st 4 points and the last one is a work in progress that he started on.

adamkungl

Immortal
:lol: fmd you make Gaba look like a tactical genius.
Summary, for those who didn't waste their time:
1) Win games
2) tackle the other team
3) don't get penalised
4) kick the ball
5) kick the ball

I printed that post out and sent it off to John Lang. For some reason he asked if I could print your stuff out on "softer paper" next time. He said that copy paper tends to smear rather than absorb? Whatever that means...

Midnight Rabbit

Juniors
:lol: fmd you make Gaba look like a tactical genius.
Summary, for those who didn't waste their time:
1) Win games
2) tackle the other team
3) don't get penalised
4) kick the ball
5) kick the ball

Point 4 and 5 should be swapped just to confuse Chris! :crazy:

Sugar

Bench
Get back on the Storm bandwagon you imbo
The real fans of South Sydney on LU won't forget the tripe you dished up last year.

Fuggin deserter don't try and come crawlng back as if it never happened

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Hahaha. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Listen, dude, I think if you want to rejoin this community and not be hounded for every word you write, the next thread you start should say ...

"Dear Rabbitohs supporters,

Last year I commited the worst crime a footy supporter can commit - I turned my back on my team, showed extreme disloyalty and generally made an arse out of myself. I demonstrated the worst kind of character weakness and I will understand if none of you respect me - let alone listen to me - ever again.

I have turned a corner, though. I was wrong. It was a mistake and I have learned from it. I was frustrated, as many fans were, at various things that I thought could and should have been addressed. But I realise now that if I had stuck it out, it would have resolved itself - as it did. I should have kept the faith. What I did was inexcusable. I now understand that complaining about my team is a time-honoured tradition for any sporting fan, but that there is a line that should never be crossed. You never criticise your team to outsiders and you never let outsiders criticise your team unchallenged. But, most of all, you never denounce your team. I won't do it again.

I DENOUNCE ALL OTHER TEAMS. My commitment to the Rabbitohs will from this day forth be stronger and more enduring than any other commitment I ever make. Not even marriage vows will match it!

I apologise and ask your forgiveness. I am now committed to being a positive contributor to this online community. I hope one day some of you will trust me enough to once again count me a fellow fan of the great football dynasty that is the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

I know I am UNWORTHY, but I hope to redeem myself one day.

CHRIS SANDOW"

Until you front-up and admit that you were a jackass, no one is going to treat you with any kind of respect. Take your lumps and maybe some around here will go a bit easier on you. What you did sucked, though, so you shouldn't expect it to be a fast process.

I printed that post out and sent it off to John Lang. For some reason he asked if I could print your stuff out on "softer paper" next time. He said that copy paper tends to smear rather than absorb? Whatever that means...

Smells nasty too!....somewhat like a Storm conspiracy. Hopefully Johnny lang takes all this information to heart and coaches from the amateur advice asswipe coaches manual.

Are we sure this isn't Bellamy in disguise aiming to throw us off our title aspirations?

Paul Hewson

Juniors

I am going to pretend for a minute that you never said what you did last season about Souths and your love for the Storm. This comment above is the biggest joke of all. It shows that you obviously do not know what you are talking about. Lack of discipline? Please stop right there. Last season Souths were the most disciplined side in the comp. Maybe you should check your facts before you start trying to post as though you know what you are talking about.

Titanic

First Grade
"Dear Rabbitohs supporters,

Last year I commited the worst crime a footy supporter can commit - I turned my back on my team, showed extreme disloyalty and generally made an arse out of myself. I demonstrated the worst kind of character weakness and I will understand if none of you respect me - let alone listen to me - ever again.

I have turned a corner, though. I was wrong. It was a mistake and I have learned from it. I was frustrated, as many fans were, at various things that I thought could and should have been addressed. But I realise now that if I had stuck it out, it would have resolved itself - as it did. I should have kept the faith. What I did was inexcusable. I now understand that complaining about my team is a time-honoured tradition for any sporting fan, but that there is a line that should never be crossed. You never criticise your team to outsiders and you never let outsiders criticise your team unchallenged. But, most of all, you never denounce your team. I won't do it again.

I DENOUNCE ALL OTHER TEAMS. My commitment to the Rabbitohs will from this day forth be stronger and more enduring than any other commitment I ever make. Not even marriage vows will match it!

I apologise and ask your forgiveness. I am now committed to being a positive contributor to this online community. I hope one day some of you will trust me enough to once again count me a fellow fan of the great football dynasty that is the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

I know I am UNWORTHY, but I hope to redeem myself one day.

CHRIS SANDOW"

I have to say, over the time I have trolled LU this is the most impressive bit of prose I've read. Friggin' 2 thumbs up. With this classic a close second. Great stuff. My only regret is that you could have been clearer.

Last edited:

Latest posts