What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
Legendary Sports commentator, journalist and author Peter Meares believes that a Brothers NRL bid is a fantastic idea. Despite initially thinking that it might be “too high a mountain to climb” , as there are “three other big bids out there” , he quickly realised what Brothers offer is quite unique.
He points to it’s “well known name and tradition of confraternity throughout Queensland” . He has long “admired Brothers for their mateship and team spirit”. Meares fondly recalls experiencing many times the evidence of this “big brotherhood” that exist throughout the confraternity of clubs throughout Queensland. “You could go to a town and not know anyone but you go to a Brothers Leagues Club and you would be made welcome because you followed Brothers in Brisbane. “

http://brothersnrl.wordpress.com/2013/06/30/peter-meares-backs-the-brotherhood/

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Monday Night Fast Fact - from the Official Working Committee:
Fast Fact: "There has been a lot of talk on why wouldn't we aim for a Q Cup side. This does not strategically connect for a number of reasons.
1) As most of our critics are saying, our bid is pie in the sky stuff. Of course it is, we know and accept the challenges we are facing but we believe our network and strategy can deliver a premium football side so we should be aiming at the premium competition, the NRL
2) Q Cup sides cost a lot and without the infrastructure in place it is difficult to earn money. An NRL side and infrastructure required will cost a lot more but the opportunity to earn revenue is far increased
3) The next expansion team needs to connect to multiple regions and the communities they hold. There must be a presence in Brisbane as a growing market but the outer suburbs and rural regions must be connected and protected and the best way to do this is with a high profile entity
4) At the Q Cup level, there are plenty of quality teams representing their region and working in their communities, and now just about every region is represented
5) We will look to have a presence in some form in the Q Cup or FOGS cup etc in the years between being granted a license (2015) and playing (2018) to develop a group of players and their structures as well as our own Footy operations

Keep up the great work everyone! It's much appreciated. More work to do though. Keep spreading the word!
We Can Do This!

Brothers Leprechauns NRL Working Committee

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brothers-Leprechauns-NRL-Bid-Supporters-Page/313289098800466

BrothersNRL

Juniors
All very exciting stuff. I guess a lot of people have one or two reactions to this bid. They either assume the people running this bid are past failures in running a Brothers club and or it just seems too much like fantasy.

I can tell you, the folks involved are committed, savvy business people with the brand and the game at heart.

I can also tell you that this idea is really about to take off. Its a long way from fantasy, but to think it is might not be such a bad thing, it will make it that much better when Brothers kick off in 2018.

Blue and white forever.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
1001897_361249287337780_857047609_n.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Question from Facebook:
Q. When will you be announcing the official NRL bid and releasing merch for that? Will you be called the Brisbane Brothers or Brothers Leprechauns?
A. I hear things aren't too far away. A few fine details to work out still. The first piece of merchandise will be soon. Definitely Brothers as we will represent all Brothers clubs everywhere not just Brisbane and play in Brisbane and regionally .

jim_57

Staff member
This bid is really growing on me, really like the idea of it being a state-wide team. It would be good to see then split their home games something like:

8 - Suncorp Stadium
2 - Cairns (Biggest QLD city not currently represented by an NRL team)
1 - Darwin
1 - Rockhampton (Until they get their own team).

If a suitable ground could be built at Ipswich they could move 2-3 of their Brisbane games there.

Ideally they could make deal with Sydney NRL teams to take their home games against Brothers to regional Queensland aswell. This would mean they could play games in Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Bundaberg, Sunny Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich, Gold Coast & Darwin all with the correct planning.

CQ Italia

Juniors
This bid is really growing on me, really like the idea of it being a state-wide team. It would be good to see then split their home games something like:

8 - Suncorp Stadium
1 - Darwin

If a suitable ground could be built at Ipswich they could move 2-3 of their Brisbane games there.

Ideally they could make deal with Sydney NRL teams to take their home games against Brothers to regional Queensland aswell. This would mean they could play games in Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Bundaberg, Sunny Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich, Gold Coast & Darwin all with the correct planning.

CQ is years ahead of the brothers bid plus I might add brothers supporters should support local games first in better numbers. Would make morse sense having a local away attendance cowboys/titans/Sydney game in Rockhampton as well if it was a one gamer as brothers is the manly of Queensland.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade

8 - Suncorp Stadium
1 - Darwin

Sounds a bit GWS to me.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Sounds a bit GWS to me.

Well improve your listening skills.

Each one of those areas mentioned has long established Brothers clubs that are part of that community. It is from these clubs that they intend to start the pathway for players.

In no way comparable to GWS and the suggestion is comical at best.

jim_57

Staff member
CQ is years ahead of the brothers bid plus I might add brothers supporters should support local games first in better numbers. Would make morse sense having a local away attendance cowboys/titans/Sydney game in Rockhampton as well if it was a one gamer as brothers is the manly of Queensland.

I simply don't think CQ has the population to sustain an NRL team this time around. I am definitely all for it but another team in SEQ, Perth & NZ2 should all be bigger priorities for the NRL. Rockhampton is a town of 80-90k population, I think expecting to average 15,000 or more would be a struggle after the initial novelty wore off. In 10-15 years I would be all for having a team based in Rockhampton, it would really add alot to the region and the NRL.

As for a one off game not drawing well if brothers played in Rockhampton, Browne Park would sell out for any combination of teams for a once a year NRL game IMO.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I feel sorry for CQ fans because they deserve a team more then most, but the chances of them getting one within the next 20 years are so low.

Even if they were ready to support a team Perth, SEQ/Brisbane, Adelaide and NZ 2 are all in front of them on the list of priority's and by the time they are ready to support a team it is not unlikely that places like PNG, NZ 3, Melbourne 2, Darwin and Tasmania will be thereabouts as well.

The Central Coast has the same problem and Tasmania in the AFL, they deserve a team so much but it's just not sound to give them one anytime soon.

CQ Italia

Juniors
I simply don't think CQ has the population to sustain an NRL team this time around. I am definitely all for it but another team in SEQ, Perth & NZ2 should all be bigger priorities for the NRL. Rockhampton is a town of 80-90k population, I think expecting to average 15,000 or more would be a struggle after the initial novelty wore off. In 10-15 years I would be all for having a team based in Rockhampton, it would really add alot to the region and the NRL.

As for a one off game not drawing well if brothers played in Rockhampton, Browne Park would sell out for any combination of teams for a once a year NRL game IMO.

http://m.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/theres-no-doubt-about-demand-nrl-team-region/1957202/

and a reply (supply vs demand)... great timing!

excuse invading the fish thread and thd laye reply (in Italy)

let's turn down 8 figures worth of sponsorship

gyallop

Juniors
Brothers need to go to cooking school....a souffle won't rise twice...although in fairness the game wont expand if it does until 2018 so they are a better chance of still beinng about in 5 years time than the Bombers!
Anyone know where Brisbane Brothers JFC sit with this as their chief sponsor is Craig Davidson of the Bombers????

Garbler

Juniors

If all was fair QLD would have more teams, but I just don't see 450,000 within a 3.5hr drive for CQ trumping the population of Western Brisbane/Ipswich. I think the Brothers bid is just innovative enough to be a huge success. Brothers will become the defacto 2nd fav team for those living in GC/Bris/Townsville and the fav team for all QLD'rs outside of those 3 cities.

Unlike other bids its also the bid that keeps on giving:
- It will bring a game to Rocky once a year anyhow, so CQ still doesn't miss out totally with the Brothers bid
- It will pave the way and prepare regions like CQ to eventually make a stronger, ironclad bid for NRL entry
- It promotes the game in areas like Carins & Darwin where there is an AFL presence

I'm saying all this as a Titans supporter; I just see the tremendous upside of the Brothers bid.

jim_57

Staff member
http://m.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/theres-no-doubt-about-demand-nrl-team-region/1957202/

and a reply (supply vs demand)... great timing!

excuse invading the fish thread and thd laye reply (in Italy)

let's turn down 8 figures worth of sponsorship

I can see the positives that the CQ bid brings and think they would be a great success in the NRL. Simply put though I think there are atleast 3 areas that would be a priority over them - Brisbane2, Perth & NZ2.

Of the SEQ bids brothers would be my pick as previously mentioned, with correct planning they could have a statewide (& Darwin) season schedule every year whilst still playing 2/3 of home games out of Suncorp stadium.

Also that population figure of 450,000 with 3.5 hours is a of a stretch. I wouldn't honestly expect too many fans from Mackay & Bundaberg to travel to home games too often especially since those two cities are just as close to Townsville & Brisbane respectively as they are to Rockhampton. Those 2 cities alone would really boost that figure of 450k. Quite honestly if I was a local of Mackay or Bundaberg I would fancy a weekend road trip to Townsville or Brisbane more so than a trip to Capricornia. Realistically I think the main population centres the CQ bid would rely on would be:

Rockhampton - 80k, Stadium location.
Gracemere - 10k, 10kms
Capricorn Coast - 20k, 40kms
Blackwater & Emerald - 30k, 200-300kms
Gladstone - 50k, 100kms

Those populations are rough guesses because I didn't have time to track down precise figures, they should be close enough to the mark though. Other than these the rest are small towns no bigger than a few thousand people.

Latest posts