What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common Sense Read

Minh

First Grade
I stopped reading at Mick "the penguin" Beattie lol.....

He got it wrong, I know that David Gillespie was nicknamed cement for his defense but Mick Beattie I remember had a similar nickname for his defensive abilities but the Penguin nick belongs to Graeme Bradley lol...

Mr Red

First Grade
I stopped reading at Mick "the penguin" Beattie lol.....

He got it wrong, I know that David Gillespie was nicknamed cement for his defense but Mick Beattie I remember had a similar nickname for his defensive abilities but the Penguin nick belongs to Graeme Bradley lol...
Mick Beatties nickname was "pigskin". I think this was derived from the saying " as tough as old pigskin " in reference to his physically tough approach to the game. He was a tough defender and a hard ball runner....
One of my favourites as a kid....

Last edited:

dannyt

Coach
Mick Beatties nickname was "pigskin". I think this was derived from the saying " as tough as old pigskin " in reference to his physically tough approach to the game. He was a tough defender and a hard ball runner....
One of my favourites as a kid....
One of my favourites too, but I think 'pigskin' referred to his desire to get his hands on the ball as much as possible. The ball was called a 'pigskin', which was what balls were originally made from. In those days, they played with leather balls, which became as slippery as soap and super heavy in the rain.

Ah- the good ol' days...

Mr Red

First Grade
One of my favourites too, but I think 'pigskin' referred to his desire to get his hands on the ball as much as possible. The ball was called a 'pigskin', which was what balls were originally made from. In those days, they played with leather balls, which became as slippery as soap and super heavy in the rain.

Ah- the good ol' days...

Yeah I remember the old steeden footballs and calling them pigs skins, and how I kept feeling like I was kicking a piece of concrete when they got wet!
A true test of your handling skills as you mentioned very very slippery in the wet.
Thank heavens for my first synthetic footy, saved a few broken toes no doubt..haha

Latest posts