What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commonwealth Games

adamkungl

Immortal
I think talk of entering the Games proper are a bit premature.

Even I find it hard to justify until 9s has regular, annual competition,
And features more nations from every continent.

Need to increase participation in Africa, Asia, and Americas

It says 8-12 teams. You'd reckon they could get a decent spread with 12 teams.

The advantage of getting into the games proper would be that many smaller nations would lift their participation or even start playing the game and focus on nines. Perhaps the African nation's for example.

adamkungl

Immortal
It says 8-12 teams. You'd reckon they could get a decent spread with 12 teams.

The advantage of getting into the games proper would be that many smaller nations would lift their participation or even start playing the game and focus on nines. Perhaps the African nation's for example.

I see the advantage, I just don't think it's likely that the Games will let us in without 9s being more regularly and more widely played.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
As much as id love to see 9s being introduced in the ComGames/Olympics, its is realistically a long way off...

I reckon the focus should be on getting Touch Football recognised and RL developing associations with Touch in as many countries as possible

hutch

First Grade
As much as id love to see 9s being introduced in the ComGames/Olympics, its is realistically a long way off...

I reckon the focus should be on getting Touch Football recognised and RL developing associations with Touch in as many countries as possible

Some countries (such as England) touch is being run by their national rugby union. This is how badly our sport is run. Our non contact form of the game has been completely ignored until they became a legitimate international sport on their own and now team up with rugby union in a lot of countries.

We’re excited to share Redcliffe will host the 2018 Rugby League Commonwealth Championship in the lead-up to @GC2018! #Embracing2018

Reasonable venue. Don't know what teams are playing yet.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm a bit disappointed that the tournament will completely miss any notice by international media in town for the Games.

It definitely should be on the GC. Outside of CBUS there's probably no other decent venues but I don't see why they couldn't play there. Surely the Qld govt would let them have it cheap/free.

adamkungl

Immortal
There will be... 8 teams.

Papua New Guinea will be defending their men’s title alongside the hosts Australia, England , Scotland, Fiji, Samoa, Wales and Tonga.

In the Women’s competition, hosts Australia will be joined by Canada, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and the Cook Islands.

What a shithouse comp lol, another non-appearance from NZ after their Student WC no show.

9s is a chance to showcase the game's international aspirations and this is what they toss up.
Pass, no thanks.

https://philcaplan.wordpress.com/20...cipating-teams-in-commonwealth-championships/

Pretty meh all round. No Jamaica either. No England or PNG in the women's which means it's a one horse race. No new countries from different parts of the world. It's not even being played on the Gold Coast. In general a typical RL effort.

latingringo101

Juniors
I'm surprised that the men's didn't include South Africa, Jamaica, Canada. They should have picked a nation per continent and try show how wide spread our game has gone. Maybe geographically issues and $$$ came down to it, however they did have 4 years to plan this.

The positives I see is that they've included women's games and teams in that comp who were upset at the World cup qualification process for this year's World cup.

Compensation I suppose

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Americas: Candada
Asia: Lebanon
Europe: England, Wales, Scotland
Africa: South Africa
Oceania: Australia, New Zealand, PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa

12 commonwealth national teams - every continent represented. I do agree though, an annual nines tournament needs to be established before we think about C Games entry.

yakstorm

First Grade
17 Nations applied, each knowing that it was an 'user pays' tournament, yet the RLIF decided to cap both tournaments... Really don't get it...

Know that Canada, South Africa and Vanuatu are all surprised by the fact they missed out on the men's tournament and PNG also wanted to enter the Orchids.

Considering it is only Nines, I don't understand why they wouldn't let as many teams enter as possible. The cost is being worn by the entrants, and all the RLIF would need to do is just get creative with the draw if they ended up with less than 16 teams.

NZ, much like last event, didn't even request a spot at the tournament.

Heritage XIII

Juniors

12 commonwealth national teams - every continent represented. I do agree though, an annual nines tournament needs to be established before we think about C Games entry.

Lebanon's not a Commonwealth nation. Perhaps Hong Kong could have been selected to rep this region (that's if they are still Comm status for the games despite being given back to China?)

South Africa selected a management team for the games so it'll be interesting to hear what they say about their exclusion?

Lebanon is not a Commonwealth country. It was a French territory. I don't think there's any Asian countries that are in the Commonwealth that play RL. I guess Hong Kong had a comp recently.

Latest posts