What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confession

I am still not sold on Merritt as a fullback; He isn't our best option for fullback and NEVER will be minus some incredible change next year.

How many of you rated him no better then Rhys Wesser at fullback before his run of form beginning with the Parramatta game?. I prefered Wesser because he actually has strength and leg drive and his kick returns are dangerous and he offers pretty much the same support play as Merritt.

He is a safe fullback but is he amongst the best?. No.. He has the basics of being a fullback under wraps, Being a good support player and being good under the high ball. He is NOT a genuine game breaker on his own accord. When was the last time he scored a try that involved a brilliant bit of skill or a length of the field try? (not including intercept). He lacks upper body strength and has no real leg speed. He is just agile and is a fast runner and as i mentioned he has great awareness in attack. But he won't score three or five tries every week; His halves have performed for him the last 2 weeks, If they don't give him reasonable ball he doesn't have the zest to be an individual game breaker.

He needs to have an unbelievable off-season and really be in the class of the Top 3 or 4 fullbacks for me to be convinced.

If we didnt have a better option then fine; But when we have one of the best players in the world come out and say fullback is his best position then we HAVE to play him there, Inglis is a spine player. We don't fork out 600k for a centre no matter how good he is, With King coming next year he accomodates for Inglis.

We also have James Roberts who have untapped potential; We saw some against the Cowboys; He has already showed something that Merritt doesn't have and that is a kicking game. Pin point kick for the John Sutton try and Scored a try of his own with probably the best dummy I've ever seen. Arguably the fastest at our club and with solid weight training in the off-season and the chance to grow into his own body, I see him offering so much more potential as a fullback then Merritt.

BranVan3000

Coach
Merritt is at his most dangerous when he is allowed to open up his agility, natural speed and support play. He is not dissimilar to Slater in that way. Wesser may be naturally stronger, and more likely to make a tackle break but that isn't really the role of a fullback. A fullback's best asset is to be fantastic in support and have general awareness of what is happening in the game so they can pop up in attack and defence. Merritt is far better than Wesser at this and I'll wager better than Roberts will ever be at it. Inglis might be a better fullback, but Merritt has made the position his.

Furthermore, Wesser is a selfish player and has cost us half a dozen times with poor decisions and selfish acts. Merritt is also better playing second receiver and has helped set up a few tries that way. Something I've not seen from Wesser

Merritt is at his most dangerous when he is allowed to open up his agility, natural speed and support play. He is not dissimilar to Slater in that way. Wesser may be naturally stronger, and more likely to make a tackle break but that isn't really the role of a fullback. A fullback's best asset is to be fantastic in support and have general awareness of what is happening in the game so they can pop up in attack and defence. Merritt is far better than Wesser at this and I'll wager better than Roberts will ever be at it. Inglis might be a better fullback, but Merritt has made the position his.

Furthermore, Wesser is a selfish player and has cost us half a dozen times with poor decisions and selfish acts. Merritt is also better playing second receiver and has helped set up a few tries that way. Something I've not seen from Wesser

I'll take that bet. Roberts already has close better leg speed then Merritt. and he hasn't even developed properly yet. He actually breaks tackles running the ball back. Was watching him closely on the weekend and he made 6 tackle breaks. The Kid is only 18. Merritt is 10 years older then him. The Kid looks much more dangerous on kick returns and is quicker and i just think he will end up a class above Nathan.

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
I prefered Wesser because he actually has strength and leg drive and his kick returns are dangerous and he offers pretty much the same support play as Merritt.

I was following your argument up until this part.

Have you and I been watching the same games this season?

BranVan3000

Coach
I'll take that bet. Roberts already has close better leg speed then Merritt. and he hasn't even developed properly yet. He actually breaks tackles running the ball back. Was watching him closely on the weekend and he made 6 tackle breaks. The Kid is only 18. Merritt is 10 years older then him. The Kid looks much more dangerous on kick returns and is quicker and i just think he will end up a class above Nathan.
I'm not denying his natural athleticism, but that doesn't mean he'll be the better fullback. Jaryd Hayne is more athletic than Billy Slater, but nowhere near the same quality of fullback because he isn't as smart and doesn't have that extra level of awareness that a FB needs. It's too early to say where Roberts will fall. But his support play is nowhere near Nathan's right now, and his kick returns are actually not very good. He is being caught out of position by kicks frequently and he has a tendency to run sideways

I need people to believe the hype with Roberts.

I believe he is ready for first grade now, The two games he has actually played at fullback he's showed some really nice touches; He is not a winger at NRL level; He needs space and wasn't getting any on the Wing. Heck Inglis wasn't getting space and he was struggling to stand out. You can't blame Roberts being played out of position and getting no decent ball.

He will gain on 5-10kg in the off-season and bulk up and get quicker leg speed again allowing him to run harder at the defensive line and make busts. He is already ridiculous light on his feet imagine when he gets the added leg drive and gets physically stronger?.

If he brings the right attitude into 2012; He'll be a big improver on this year not that he hasn't done too much wrong.

Barring Inglis who is a certainty to feature at 6 as our current recruitment status stands. Roberts will be easily our best option for Fullback. Mark my words!. He has the lot.

I'm not denying his natural athleticism, but that doesn't mean he'll be the better fullback. Jaryd Hayne is more athletic than Billy Slater, but nowhere near the same quality of fullback because he isn't as smart and doesn't have that extra level of awareness that a FB needs. It's too early to say where Roberts will fall. But his support play is nowhere near Nathan's right now, and his kick returns are actually not very good. He is being caught out of position by kicks frequently and he has a tendency to run sideways

I don't think so. Not now anyway. Hayne is like 102kg and is no where near in the shape he was in Circa 2009. He has lost a fair whack of pace and agility as well.

Liddell

Juniors
I am still not sold on Merritt as a fullback; He isn't our best option for fullback and NEVER will be minus some incredible change next year.

How many of you rated him no better then Rhys Wesser at fullback before his run of form beginning with the Parramatta game?. I prefered Wesser because he actually has strength and leg drive and his kick returns are dangerous and he offers pretty much the same support play as Merritt.

He is a safe fullback but is he amongst the best?. No.. He has the basics of being a fullback under wraps, Being a good support player and being good under the high ball. He is NOT a genuine game breaker on his own accord. When was the last time he scored a try that involved a brilliant bit of skill or a length of the field try? (not including intercept). He lacks upper body strength and has no real leg speed. He is just agile and is a fast runner and as i mentioned he has great awareness in attack. But he won't score three or five tries every week; His halves have performed for him the last 2 weeks, If they don't give him reasonable ball he doesn't have the zest to be an individual game breaker.

He needs to have an unbelievable off-season and really be in the class of the Top 3 or 4 fullbacks for me to be convinced.

If we didnt have a better option then fine; But when we have one of the best players in the world come out and say fullback is his best position then we HAVE to play him there, Inglis is a spine player. We don't fork out 600k for a centre no matter how good he is, With King coming next year he accomodates for Inglis.

We also have James Roberts who have untapped potential; We saw some against the Cowboys; He has already showed something that Merritt doesn't have and that is a kicking game. Pin point kick for the John Sutton try and Scored a try of his own with probably the best dummy I've ever seen. Arguably the fastest at our club and with solid weight training in the off-season and the chance to grow into his own body, I see him offering so much more potential as a fullback then Merritt.

How many tries has Wesser scored all year from backing up?

What was so special about the dummy? The defender does everything for you.

Galeforce

Bench
I would expect Roberts or Tyrone P to be our fullback within next two years. Meantime , Nathan is the best fullback we have NOW and is in his prime. He is stronger and more mature.
Roberts of course has the potential and has played well and could be consistently great in the top grade once he strengthens and puts on more KGs. I would love to see him given a crack at halfback. Peter Stirling came into top grade finals football as a fullback when 18 years old and ended up at half. Also recall Hornby initially as a fullback before moving to half.

BranVan3000

Coach
I need people to believe the hype with Roberts.

I believe he is ready for first grade now, The two games he has actually played at fullback he's showed some really nice touches; He is not a winger at NRL level; He needs space and wasn't getting any on the Wing. Heck Inglis wasn't getting space and he was struggling to stand out. You can't blame Roberts being played out of position and getting no decent ball.

He will gain on 5-10kg in the off-season and bulk up and get quicker leg speed again allowing him to run harder at the defensive line and make busts. He is already ridiculous light on his feet imagine when he gets the added leg drive and gets physically stronger?.

If he brings the right attitude into 2012; He'll be a big improver on this year not that he hasn't done too much wrong.

Barring Inglis who is a certainty to feature at 6 as our current recruitment status stands. Roberts will be easily our best option for Fullback. Mark my words!. He has the lot.

Merritt will likely retire in 4 years. Roberts can spend some time on the wing until he's 22 I think

Buggee

Juniors

mate you are an absolute muppet. merritt is by far our best fullback, this is ridiculous. wesser is hopeless, and roberts? no thanks, he offers no support play, runs sideways and gets dragged around like a rag doll.

Zigwaa

Bench
Merritt has schooled Wesser on what he should have been doing all season. Wesser still has the speed and skills, but the involvement and motivation hasn't been there anymore.

mate you are an absolute muppet. merritt is by far our best fullback, this is ridiculous. wesser is hopeless, and roberts? no thanks, he offers no support play, runs sideways and gets dragged around like a rag doll.

Muppet?. No I am not one of Jim Henson's creations?.

The general consensus of Souths fans rated Merritt no better then Wesser as a fullback before his hot streak came.. Merritt is a solid option. No better; No one ever really considered Merritt as our long term fullback before his two good games. Roberts is our MAN everyone has labelled him our go to option in the near future; If not Inglis. Not Merritt.

You talk so much shit it's not funny on this occasion; You are just a bandwagoner based on his form!. I don't believe anyone has the RIGHT to believe that Merritt is our best option based on two games because I'll struggle to believe anyone rated him as our long term fullback before he hit his form.

Two games no matter how good he played doesn't change much... I am adament he is not our best option for fullback and I'll put my house on it.

His Kick returns are piss poor, Has no kicking game which is not mandatory but it's always a bonus to assist the playmakers in the attacking 20. He has no upper body strength to break tackles on his own accord in general play. HE IS NOT AN INDIVIDUAL GAME BREAKER. He is a support player that thrives IF he is given good ball from Sutton which is a slightly temperamental occasion. He isn't a good fullback!!!!. Never will be. His form won't last forever!.

Merritt has schooled Wesser on what he should have been doing all season. Wesser still has the speed and skills, but the involvement and motivation hasn't been there anymore.

Yes, SKILLS!. Merritt doesn't have the skills. Wesser has a good passing game and has 1948 try assists from his cut out pass that cuts one or two defenders out in which Merritt usually collects.

How can you people not see that Merritt is only a support player and that's it?. He lacks so much dimension to his game. He is one of those players that would play solid at five-eighth too; One of those jack of all trades type.

Wesser is quicker over a shorter distance too. He has way better acceleration then Merritt; He has better leg speed and is way stronger, He is FAR more dangerous on kick returns!.

Neither Wesser or Merritt should be our current fullback, We have to persist with Roberts. What is dropping him to Reserves AGAIN going to do for him?. We've given the kid f**k all chance of what he can do. Two games at his best position fullback and he's played like 10 games all up.

Honkiest_Honky

Juniors
Roberts needs a lot of growing up on and off the field before he gets that #1 jumper.

As for Max he has a good football brain and wouldn't let us down where ever he played.

Max also has confidence which seems to be lacking in Wesser.

hunters

Juniors
Muppet?. No I am not one of Jim Henson's creations?.

The general consensus of Souths fans rated Merritt no better then Wesser as a fullback before his hot streak came.. Merritt is a solid option. No better; No one ever really considered Merritt as our long term fullback before his two good games. Roberts is our MAN everyone has labelled him our go to option in the near future; If not Inglis. Not Merritt.

You talk so much shit it's not funny on this occasion; You are just a bandwagoner based on his form!. I don't believe anyone has the RIGHT to believe that Merritt is our best option based on two games because I'll struggle to believe anyone rated him as our long term fullback before he hit his form.

Two games no matter how good he played doesn't change much... I am adament he is not our best option for fullback and I'll put my house on it.

His Kick returns are piss poor, Has no kicking game which is not mandatory but it's always a bonus to assist the playmakers in the attacking 20. He has no upper body strength to break tackles on his own accord in general play. HE IS NOT AN INDIVIDUAL GAME BREAKER. He is a support player that thrives IF he is given good ball from Sutton which is a slightly temperamental occasion. He isn't a good fullback!!!!. Never will be. His form won't last forever!.
That is simply untrue. Most of us have been screaming for the best part of two years to have Merritt at fullback.

Roberts should be a long way from a full time gig unless he has a super off season. You nominate his six tackle busts on the weekend to support the claim but mention nothing of Merritt's ten busts the week before?

His positioning, defence, support play, leadership from the back and anticipation are all far superior to Roberts and Wesser and he will be first choice.

That is simply untrue. Most of us have been screaming for the best part of two years to have Merritt at fullback.

Roberts should be a long way from a full time gig unless he has a super off season. You nominate his six tackle busts on the weekend to support the claim but mention nothing of Merritt's ten busts the week before?

His positioning, defence, support play, leadership from the back and anticipation are all far superior to Roberts and Wesser and he will be first choice.

Merritt generally isn't strong enough to break a consistently high amount of tackles every week. That's all I am saying...Roberts is still growing into his own body.

Last edited:

Ttime

Juniors
Hattrick I love that you are singing the praises of Roberts and I can tell you all of us in here agree with you, but saying that he deserves a 1st grade spot over Merritt at fullback is not true at the moment.

He is going to get a hell of a lot out of playing reggies because he has only ever played half a season in Toyota Cup... before that he was playing in the u18's.
He needs to learn how to defend against big boppers (this isn't me saying he doesn't have good defence because I think he is going great guns).
He also does a shite load of across field running, why? because he hasn't had a full off season in 1st grade to learn the subtleties of a good attacking play. He will become a superstar I really beliebe this but I do not believe he is better than Merritt, yet.

Oh and I have always thought/said that Merritt should be fullback, ESPECIALLY over Wesser.

Latest posts