What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congratulations to the NRL

PeterBrown

Juniors
I would like to applaud the NRL for their handling of the Broncos saga, which resulted in the latter losing two competition points.

The Bronocos broke the rules, and are now paying the penalty.

Fair enough, the ref should not have let play continue whilst Webcke was taken off the field, since the Broncos were then short a player, but that does not mean Corey can just break the rules and go onto the field without permission!

And the argument where people say that this sort of thing happens all the time, whereby a player runs onto the field, even though the player he is replacing has still not left yet, this is a pathetic argument. Just because others do it, does NOT make it right. For example, if a person got booked speeding, imagine the ridicule if the driver used the excuse "Others speed as well, but not all get fined"?

That's just my opinion, if you like it, good, if you don't, then go and get stuffed!

PB

Bench
Well i don't take the arguement of "it happens all the time", i would have taken the arguement that officials make mistakes every week, and they don't take points off teams who gain from their mistakes, so why this time?

However Broncos do have themselves to blame. If they take Webcke off to the far side of the ground to begin with, Corey parker could have come on quicker and this whole thing is avoided. And if they had brought their interchange offical down to be involved in discussions with the NRl, instead of bringing down the coach, who had zippo to do with what happened on the touchline, then again, maybe they would have avoided problems. But they didnt and that that.

Move along next drama please....

Kaz

junior
What is strange it that a member of the public who was at the game, notified 2GB what happened & Ray Hadley called Annesley.

So why didn't the interchange official say something.

A NRL official went to the interchange official 5 mins before the game finished to find out what went on.

westie

Bench
Kaz said:
What is strange it that a member of the public who was at the game, notified 2GB what happened & Ray Hadley called Annesley.

A NRL official went to the interchange official 5 mins before the game finished to find out what went on.

You'll probably find there was a game happening...

Kaz

junior
The rules state

As soon as a interchange infringement happens the interchange official , he is to notify the touch judge IMMEDIATELY .

LeagueNut

First Grade
Kaz said:

When the Warriors lost their two points many moons ago the infringement wasn't picked up on the day of the game - a TVNZ reporter actually rung the (then) ARL because they thought a lot of changes were made and wanted to check how many were allowed.

EDIT: Actually the rules governing this have probably changed several times between 1995 and 2004, so please excuse my inane ramblings.

Kaz

junior
LeagueNut

The rules probably have changed heaps, but what my point is.

The interchange official has stated that Parker ran onto the field without permission. But then he interchange official never did his job by notifying the touch judge ASAP.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I see what you're saying - in both cases the 'blunders' could have been avoided by the sideline guys doing their jobs.

As a Warriors fan I fully understand the frustration from the Broncos as well - but (unlike our case in '95) I don't think this will affect your finals chances. Unfortunately it may affect a top 4 place, but there's a long way to go until then.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
And if he had informed the touch judge the try would never have been awarded. Thus, the saga never happened.

RB30DETT

Juniors
The ref should have stopped the game, it isnt like the Tigers were down to 12 men, and Webke was not involved in the play at all.

If the Broncos choose to take legal action, it could turn out to be quite interesting indeed.

Razor

Coach
RB30DETT said:
The ref should have stopped the game, it isnt like the Tigers were down to 12 men, and Webke was not involved in the play at all.

If the Broncos choose to take legal action, it could turn out to be quite interesting indeed.

The ref did stop the game. The Broncos were the team who restarted play with their quick tap - which they can do according to the reuls. They often do it. Nothing wrong with them doing it, but if they do it whilst they're a man down that's their problem and not the NRLs. They didn't have to resart play.

And if they take it to court the Broncos will lose, as the verdict will be that the NRL sets the rules.

labinator

Juniors
i think it was a stupid decision. The tigers were never at a disadvantage, and if there was such a big blow up about it, why was time not called off to allow webke off the field

Razor

Coach
labinator said:
why was time not called off to allow webke off the field

It was. The Broncos restarted play by taking the quick tap. The ref didn't restart play. Under the rules a side with the ball can restart play before the ref does, if the other side isn't disadvantaged. The Broncos chose to take the quick tap and restart play. Then Hayne has no choice but to blow his whistle waving his hand signalling time back on.

Pigskin

Juniors
the only person on the planet more moronic than those above saying "cop it sweet" is Dennis Fitzgerald

when we appeal and the decision is overturned - cry me a river wombats

Oink !

FLO

Juniors
Razor said:
The ref did stop the game. The Broncos were the team who restarted play with their quick tap - which they can do according to the reuls. They often do it. Nothing wrong with them doing it, but if they do it whilst they're a man down that's their problem and not the NRLs. They didn't have to resart play.

And if they take it to court the Broncos will lose, as the verdict will be that the NRL sets the rules.

I agree with Razor, the Broncos were a man down.

DJ1

Juniors
The laughable thing about this whole incident is that Parker still had to break through two tackles to score.

Stupid decision by the NRL

skeepe

Immortal
Also, the actual rule states that the referee MAY call time off while an injured player leaves the field, but he is in no obligation to do so.

How many times do you see players get injured in a tackle? The ref calls time off, the trainers come on, and as soon as the guy is moved out of the way of the play (assuming he doesn't need to be medicabbed or stretchered off), the referee calls time back on. Note that in these occasions the players have NOT yet left the field, leaving the team with the injured player a man down until the replacement comes on.

Even if we were to ignore the fact that the Broncos restarted play, the fact is that the referee did not have to wait for Webcke to leave the field - but he could have if he wanted to.

JJ

Immortal
They should never have lost the points - there should be a fine. Parker should not have taken the law into his own hands, and the ref definitely should have waited until Webcke was off until he restarted play - why on earth should the Broncos have been penalised for a blatant high hit by the Tigers.

I dislike the Broncos intensely, but this stinks. A heavy fine and lot's of tutt-tutting would be fine, but the removal of points is wrong. The idiot officials need to get their acts together, IMHO