What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Controversial: Origin needs to adapt to reflect a changing NRL - or die a slow death...

Reflector

Juniors
The State of Origin concept has been a huge success since it launched, a ratings winner and one of the biggest events in the RL calendar annually, every series we now take one game to a non-RL state as a vehicle to promote the game at it's best. So why kill the golden goose? There are two issues to consider with the Origin concept as it stands:

a) We can't take the popularity or success of Origin for granted, or else the concept risks a steady and inevitable decline. Indeed, Origin may already be at its' peak in terms of scope.

b) RL in Australia has changed considerably since the current Origin concept began in 1980. At a time where PVL has been pretty clear that expansion is the future, the State of Origin series needs to reflect this so it doesn't just survive into the future, but goes to a whole new level. As I see it, there are four key reasons we need to think seriously about changing how Origin is run:

#1. The Game Has Changed Geographically

In 1980 when Origin began, there were two separate RL club competitions in Australia: the Sydney competition (NSWRL) and the Brisbane competition (QRL) with zero overlap in terms of fixtures or players. They were still suburban competitions, largely unchanged since 1908. If you played for Easts, Souths or Newtown in Sydney, the furthest away trip you made all season was an hour to the foot of the mountains to play Penrith. If you played for Easts, Souths or Valleys in the QRL, the furthest away trip you made all season was 45 minutes up the peninsula to play Redcliffe. If you lived in S-E Qld, you got to see the top players in the game 3 times a year (at best) - in the Origin matches at Lang Park and then when the Kangaroos played. That was it.

Skip forward to the present day and we have one unified, nationalised competition in the NRL. We have professional teams everywhere from Melbourne to Townsville and across the ditch in Auckland. Any given weekend, Qld sees 2 or more top-flight matches featuring some of the best players in the game. There is no longer the "us and them" aspect of separate competitions or players either staying in Qld for beer money or having to move south to get what they deserve to earn as a professional. The Broncos recruited NSW halfback Adam Reynolds to help steer the team around and provide experience on the park, while in Newcastle, it's Qlder Kalyn Ponga who is their go-to man. PVL has been quite clear that he wants to grow the game beyond the east-coast of Australia and sees the entire Pacific region as key to the codes' future success (more on this soon)...

#2. The Game Has Changed Politically

Origin began because the balance of power by 1980 lay with the wealthy Sydney clubs backed by their leagues clubs that had pokie money rolling in (St George, Canterbury, Manly etc). This had created a completely lopsided Interstate series with the public losing interest in an annual NSW beat-up. But in the current NRL era, the wealthiest and (arguably) the biggest club in the competition comes from Brisbane. One of the most successful clubs of the past 20 years is based in Melbourne. While NRL HQ is in Moore Park, the power is much more spread out across the RL landscape than it used to be. Origin, in its' current format, is the remnant of an out-dated version of the game, where the NSWRL had the money and the political power through it's wealthy clubs, while the QRL was essentially a feeder competition. In the current era of the game, both the NSWRL and the QRL are feeder competitions for the biggest competition, the NRL, where 40 years of expansion means the power is no longer centralised as it once was.

#3. The Game Has Changed Demographically

The amount of kiwi/ Pacific Islanders playing at the highest level (indeed, even in the junior levels) has grown exponentially since 1980, and as a result created a lot more grey areas regarding Origin eligibility. It's understandable that players want to make themselves eligible for NSW or Qld if possible to enjoy the financial perks of doing so - and also because when Origin is hyped up as footy at it's very best, players who aspire to that level want to be part of it. But it brings into question how much it means to these players, compared to players who only ever grew up and played footy in one of the two states and are only eligible for Australia at international level. At a time where the percentage of players with direct ties to the Pacific region in the top-flight is near half, how much sense does it make to still treat a 3 game series between 2 Australian states as the absolute pinnacle of the RL calendar?

#4. The Questions That Started Origin Have Been Answered

When Origin kicked off in 1980, there were two big questions: Could a team of Qld born and bred players be competitive against NSW? And- would the people of NSW support the Origin concept? Looking at some of the Qld teams over the decades and the accolades they've achieved, the answer to the first question is a resounding yes. And considering how the people of NSW continued turning up and tuning in despite not winning the shield for 8 years, I rest my case. Look at the size of Blatchy's Blues at Game 2, 2005: just a couple of bays. Then look at Game 2, 2014 and Blatchy's Blues is the whole entire end of the stadium on both levels.

The above points all indicate that RL in Australia has changed a lot since 1980 for a number of reasons, yet State of Origin remains rooted in a version of the game that ceased to exist some time ago ago. There is only so big you can make a 3 game series featuring just 2 teams before the concept becomes stale. Meanwhile PVL realises that (like any successful sporting league) expanding the game is key to staying on top.

While I'm not suggesting we get rid of Origin altogether, what I AM suggesting is we make one of the biggest events in the RL calendar even bigger. And in the next post I outline how we can achieve this...

Reflector

Juniors
PART 2:

So how can we keep a concept that’s been so successful like Origin but also improve on it and grow it beyond its' current limits?

We change the concept to more accurately reflect the games' present state- and future aspirations. My controversial idea is we revive the Tri-Series concept we saw in Superleague, but we go a step further right out of the box- have a series called the Origin Series that features the following teams:

NSW
Qld
NZ
PNG

Logistically, we could either hold the tournament mid-season when the current Origin series is held, the NRL takes a break for a few weeks while the Origin series plays out, and the NRL teams all visit to expansion cities/ regional areas to promote the NRL and grassroots football. It could be a month-long celebration of the game and a real growth period at the same time. OR-

We move the series to post-season, after the NRL finals and GF, except every 4 years when the Kangaroo tour is on, in which case the Origin series is held mid-season like it is currently. In the same way the Lions (Rugby) are made up of England/ Wales/ Ireland players, the Kangaroos are compiled of the best NSW/ Qld players. PNG (considering security issues) could base themselves out of Cairns or Townsville for the Origin series and hold their home games at Barlow Park or Qld Country Bank Stadium. They would still attract enough of the die-hard PNG fans to their games. In terms of how the Origin series is run, we could split the comp into two pools, with the winner of each pool (based either on best of 3 or aggregate) facing off in a single winner takes all final (in a predetermined host city).

The best part is, we could expand the Origin series in future to include Tonga and Samoa, who already have a strong rivalry and (like the other teams) a sizeable presence in the NRL.

These are the main advantages to the expanded Origin concept:

• Keeps the NSW/ Qld rivalry, but expands the concept with other teams who create new rivalries and a new dynamic. As a Blue I’d love to see my state go up against the Kiwis, PNG or others. Likewise, I’d be keen to see the dynamic between Qld and those other teams as well.

• Gives teams like NZ and PNG more match experience against top opposition, which only serves to strengthen the performances of these sides overall at Test level

• Sides like NZ and PNG have a better chance beating NSW or Qld than facing the combined might of the Kangaroos, which is a big part of the reason Test football has lost must of its' appeal. The matches would be relatively competitive

• More players get the opportunity to play Origin + more of a chance to be weaned into playing at Origin level rather than thrown into a do-or-die high stakes game

• PNG/ Kiwi/ Tonga/ Samoa players get to represent their nations and take part in the toughest RL competition in the Australia- Pacific region

• The appeal of Origin as a concept + including Pacific Island nations makes RL stronger and more enticing to young players wanting to be a part of those competitions, in areas where Rugby still has a stronghold

• The biggest event in the NRL calendar more accurately represents the modern game and also secures the future for Origin as a concept

The irony is that Origin began because the existing format (the Interstate series) was no longer relevant to the changing landscape of the game, and hadn’t been since the 60’s when NSW clubs got the poker machines. Likewise, the game has changed again a lot in 45 years, and it’s time to adapt the Origin series to reflect this.

King hit

Coach
Point 1: That thing has always happened even in what you would consider the heydays. The most patriotic Queenslander to ever wear Maroon adores the Sea Eagles. Broncos had to sign Lazarus to make them a premiership force. The Maroons godfather Beetson was a already a Roosters legend. The Raiders had Mal and other Queenslanders in their glory days.

Point 2: Majority of the teams are players from their respective states. It's not like Super Rugby when the Reds and Waratahs are loaded with islanders who've just come over. The NSW V QLD rivalry in union is dead in the water now.

Point 3: I recently re read Laurie Daley's autobiography. He said the only time a Blue jersey didn't psych him up was that Tri Series of 97. He said playing NZ in Canberra was weird as f**k it didn't feel like a NSW game to him. I was way to young at the time off course to have any memory of this but I've asked my 2 eldest sisters and other family about it and they said the same thing. They loved the ARL series though. The second game of that series is one of the most underrated origin classics imo.

Eelectrica

Referee
Happy for it to die.
Nothing will change whilst people keep turning up and paying over inflated prices for tickets.

It’s just a giant cash now but people keep tuning in and buying merchandise. Expect it to go unchanged until viewers change.

reanimate

Bench
What about Victoria and WA? The hope should be that, one day, those two states are also churning out players for us in decent numbers. Where would they play? A Vic vs WA series?

Matiunz

Juniors
I feel it peaked years ago and it thrives off reputation rather than the quality of games for quite some time now.
The changing make up of players means the best player in each position isn’t automatically from NSW or QLD however some are ‘persuaded’ to play origin anyway to the detriment of the international game.

nick87

Coach
Why not keep SOO as it is
Give the entire league the week off and supplement it with other international rivalries

Concurrently to NSW vs QLD, you have the following 3 game series:

Nz vs England (if you can get the English to agree)
Samoa vs Tonga
PNG vs Fiji
Australia indigenous vs NZ Māori

5 games across Friday - Sunday
Chuck in u19’s SOO series for an extra game if you want

Diesel

Referee
Origin would throw money at Kiwis to change their alliances from representing NZ to representing Australia or an origin side. There have been some changes recently to prevent this but it’s not far enough. It’s highly controversial and unpopular but regardless of country you represent, you can play origin. May have to look at residency, to play you must live in either state for a minimum of 6 years

Diesel

Referee
Why not keep SOO as it is
Give the entire league the week off and supplement it with other international rivalries

Concurrently to NSW vs QLD, you have the following 3 game series:

Nz vs England (if you can get the English to agree)
Samoa vs Tonga
PNG vs Fiji
Australia indigenous vs NZ Māori

5 games across Friday - Sunday
Chuck in u19’s SOO series for an extra game if you want
This could work, but each player in origin or international series must be paid the same amount.

nick87

Coach
This could work, but each player in origin or international series must be paid the same amount.

Absolutely.
rep payments the same across the board

with exception of maybe indigenous vs maori
Just because these teams are going to be filled with secondary rep players as the top liners are playing origin/nz
So maybe they can get half payments
But also f**k it? The game makes enough money, let them, as the kids say, get the bag too

Fangs

Coach
I just think it ruins a good deal of the regular season calendar and if possible we need to move it.

3 consecutive weeks with some international football throughout.

Wizardman

First Grade
Seems to be quite a few people critical about Origin. I wonder how many of those people don't watch it....I suspect not many.

Origin is our jewel in the crown regarding attracting casuals to the sport. I'd say it is even more important than the gf as far as attracting eyes to the sport.