What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could too many teams dilute the NRLs rivalry factor???

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
(This is NOT a thread on dilution of talent across too many teams!!!)

Most teams have 5-ish oppositions that draw big interest (dragons-sharks, Cowboys-broncos) and the rest are just fillers that only happen because all of the teams need to play off during the season (cowboys-Panthers, Canberra-Cronulla, any other random combination of teams)

So, if the NRL was to expand to 18 or 20 teams in the future, would this be too many teams to have proper rivalry games on a regular basis?? And if so (and if we agree this is a problem), whats the solution?? divide them into conferences, create more rivalries, cut the teams back to 14 (SuperLeague Mk2).

MarkC

Juniors
When the comp is close and teams are evenly matched the result is important, that motivates both the players and fans.
Also rivalries tend to build over time as result of contested GF's etc.
The only problem you can have with a geographically diverse comp is that opposition teams don't travel it is hard go get large numbers of Cowboy's fans to Sydney. I imagine, it is easier to get them to go to Brisbane as it is less travel.
This will also be an issue with Perth is added as it should be.
IMO the benefits of expansion will override minor disadvantages like this.
Most fans just want to see their team in action each week, either at the game on on TV.
Getting a good crowd to each game and creating an atmosphere is an issue, but there are a number of considerations..... prices timing of matches, weather conditions.... how the team is travelling.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Sydney and non Sydney conferences is the answer. I'd support adjusting the NRL grant so the other teams have the travel costs funded so the Sydney teams don't get a financial advantage out of less travel.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most rivalries died around 1999 due to cutting teams.

Besides rivalries start at odd times. Manly and Wests had non rivalry matches for near 30 years before the fibros v silvertails thing kicked off.

As said above, a close comp will be the best thing to create new rivalries.

Melbourne already has a strong rival in Manly.

I dont think this is at all an issue

Perth Red

Post Whore
Non issue. Clubs shouldn't have to rely on travelling fans to get a decent crowd.

BM the nrl already pay clubs travelling costs.

proto

Juniors
There really is barely any rivalry between clubs, just because channel 9 constantly spouts the term 'derby' ever since there were 2 melb teams in the aleague, doesn't mean it really is one.

Diesel

Referee
Sydney and non Sydney conferences is the answer. I'd support adjusting the NRL grant so the other teams have the travel costs funded so the Sydney teams don't get a financial advantage out of less travel.

We have to get out of this Sydney mindset, sure the conp was born from the old Sydney comp but this is the NRL, not the Sydney conp, not the NSW comp.

Having a Sydney conference benefits Sydney only. Less travel means less disruption and more time to work on injuries, game plans, staying in the same timezone and being able to see family/friends and sleep
In their own bed more often.

Most Sydney clubs play 16-18 of their 24 games in their own city and/or state, that's an advantage right there that 6 of the teams in the comp don't get (7 if you could Newcastle).

A Sydney comp does nothing but benefit Sydney based clubs

I'm not saying their world beaters, but I'm sure the NRL clubs could get about 20 players from the European Super League who could hold their own in the NRL given a short period of time.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I think it could do quite the opposite imo. More teams means more chances for a rivalry to occur. A given moment in a match, a heated battle between players, close victories, consistently intense games and battles for premierships are all things rivalries are based on.

In terms of conferencing/getting the draw right imo we need a system where when there are too many teams to fit into a 26 round comp, each team plays each other once throughout the season with altering home and away games. If Souths play the Storm in Sydney in 2020, they play them in Melbourne in 2021.

KiamaSaint

Coach
There really is barely any rivalry between clubs, just because channel 9 constantly spouts the term 'derby' ever since there were 2 melb teams in the aleague, doesn't mean it really is one.

You're taking the piss right?

Perth Red

Post Whore
There are no doubt some historic ones but lets be honest most dont generate much rivalary on or off the field. Its not like many of these games generate massive crowds or tv viewing beyond the norm is it? Media likes to hyp eit up a bit and thats no bad thing but not sure the fans really buy into it. Broncos v Cowboys for example is a good rivalary that usually generates a bigger than normal attendance, Broncos v Titans however doesnt really.

TheDalek079

Bench
i agree with the OP. Rivalries need to be considered. Bringing back the Bears will mean old rivalries (e.g. V Sea Eagles) will arise again. A second brisbane team would have rivalries with other queensland teams. a second nz team will have rivalry with Warriors. But Perth wouldn't have any rivalries. They'd be bland filler. a bit like a crappier, beige version of the Raiders.

So expansion should focus on CC Bears and Brisbane Crushers

I'm sure Perth would have a good rivalry with the Roosters if they signed Trent Robinson as coach and half a dozen up and comers and a couple of gun Easts players.

I'd like to see that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Expand the game by adding an 11th nsw team and a 4th qlNd team?
Tell me again why RL is such a geographically confined sport lol.

carcharias

Immortal
There are no doubt some historic ones but lets be honest most dont generate much rivalary on or off the field. Its not like many of these games generate massive crowds or tv viewing beyond the norm is it? Media likes to hyp eit up a bit and thats no bad thing but not sure the fans really buy into it. Broncos v Cowboys for example is a good rivalary that usually generates a bigger than normal attendance, Broncos v Titans however doesnt really.

Obviously they are the comments from a bloke who clearly has no f**king idea.
Sharks dragons
Dogs roosters
Cows Broncos
Dogs dragons
Manly sharks
Parra Penrith
Bunnies roosters
Just to begin with...

Here we go again ... Manly versus parra ... Manly's way ahead but the gaps starts to narrow.

I'm sure there are still many people who know what the above is from.

TheDalek079

Bench
Expand the game by adding an 11th nsw team and a 4th qlNd team?
Tell me again why RL is such a geographically confined sport lol.

you're choosing to look at it in the wrong way. Instead of seeing it as another NSW team you should view it as league cementing its spot in another city

I'm sure Perth would have a good rivalry with the Roosters if they signed Trent Robinson as coach and half a dozen up and comers and a couple of gun Easts players.

I'd like to see that.

lol, the only way for perth to get a rivalry would be to manufacture one like that. just not good enough to demand a team in an elite competition

siv

First Grade
The trick will be how you expand

You have 6 areas of expansion
- Perth
- CC
- Brisbane West
- Brisbane North
- Wellington NZ
- Port Morsby

Plus maybe Adelaide, Darwin and Canterbury NZ or even Fiji

How you service everyone will be very difficult unless we entertain a promotion relegation strategy

RoosTah

Juniors
The trick will be how you expand

You have 6 areas of expansion
- Perth
- CC
- Brisbane West
- Brisbane North
- Wellington NZ
- Port Morsby

Plus maybe Adelaide, Darwin and Canterbury NZ or even Fiji

How you service everyone will be very difficult unless we entertain a promotion relegation strategy

I'm dubious about Darwin and CC. Darwin has a population of only about 100,000 people - roughly the size or Randwick, whilst the CC doesn't fair much better with a population the of 300,000 spread over an area the size of Sydney. Wollongong getting its own dedicated side back by bringing the Steelers back and relegating St George makes more sense with the Gong alone having about 300,000 and the Illawarra having half a million.

Port Morsby is a good one in theory, but a lot more development needs to occur in PNG before it can really be viable. I also don't like the idea of Wellington much - most kiwis I know are adamant a team there would be a failure... from a demographics and rugby league fan base perspective it actually makes more sense to have an Auckland 2 side there. That said, I'd personally like to see Canterbury more just for the North South dichotomy it would bring. But that's another one that probably needs a solid decade of development (not to mention recovery from the earth quake).

Fiji is an interesting one though - safer than PNG now that the military has handed over control and the place is undergoing a bit of a development boom at the moment with a lot of foreign money coming in. With a population of about 800k it would support a side pretty well, but you'd have to put it in Suva, which limits it a bit

Ultimately though, for proper expansion we need Sydney to be cut to 5 teams max, and maybe even down to 4.

Last edited:

Latest posts