What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Stanaway - Ace Reporter

MKEB...

Staff member
In my very limited experience, and from studies of some of histories charismatic leaders, you do not have to be completely honest per se`, but perhaps accepting of the situation and the media's need to serve the community with interesting situations. Take JFK, the man was the rival of Hugh Heffner in one respect, but was it common knowledge in the media? No. Why? At the time there was a certain unwritten guideline that these sorts of things that could unstable the national way of life were not reported firstly, but secondly, because JFK was one of them. He was a straight forward, confident man with the ability to inspire. And who would want to be the catalyst to over throw that?

That reminds me of a brilliant question asked to Henry Kissenger on receiving a Nobel Peace price..." How does it feel to be the world's greatest hypocrite

ozbash

Referee
Willow said:
Craig, good going on buying a beer for people who call you a wanker. How many beers do you buy for friends?

;-)

top shelf for them, at the local rugby club i should imagine :cool:

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Mixmasterreece said:
Jesus mate at least the guy has made himself approachable and open to discussion. If you want the opportunity to air your grievances and perhaps get the chance to speak to the ACTUAL guy in question, perhaps telling people to 'f**k off' and calling them 'twats' isn't the best way doing it.

I get pissed off at the piss weak coverage league gets over at TV1, and to some extent TV3, if the Warriors are doing well you don't hear a thing, but as soon as the mess up the news media jumps on the bandwagon. But having said that I appreciate the guy coming on here to try and explain his reasoning, we haven't seen a lot of it from the other culprits over time - wheres Jessup explaining why he can't string together more than 2 sentences with correct information in them, or Deaker explaining why he puts the boot into League whenever he gets the chance.

Some of the responses in this thread are utterly disgraceful.

For what it's worth the guy is actually aproachable and will respond to emails if you send him one, thats got to give him credibility surely?

And for what it's worth i agree with Mix for the most part, good post.

Micistm

Bench
Iafeta said:
Because champion, it sells. It's what the entire British tabloid system - a very highly sophisticated and unbelievably successful system, the prototype for most westernised democratic countries' media - is based upon.

Exactly- Precisely my point. It is pure tabloid, Womans Weekly kinda stuff. It sells. But pretending its good Sports Journalism...? Nah!!!! Tabloid stuff is all it is, and it's when they're suggesting it's serious, well researched stuff that you can't help but:lol:

mean

Juniors
All I can say is rugby is scared!!

They changed their points scoring, rules and adopted league aspects to their game. Their so called manly scrums have turned into a patter cake fiasco.

I wonder what their new rules will be?

1 Penalties will now be worth 2 points.
2 Drop goal will now be worth 1 point.
3 You cannot kick out on the field from anywhere.
4 Only 13 players must take the field at any one time......

You can't flog a dead horse.

da mad maori

Juniors
I couldnt care less and am in total agreeance with R&S.

Tabloids you say ??. Then his interviewing of Monty was just a 'jack-up' to make the next days papers??
This is the second site you have visited Craig, trying to suck up people with your lame pathetic story.
If you have to humiliate a person, on tv, when they would rather you question them on matters that were pre-arranged, then you should have stuck to that. Not bring up something else.

Iafeta

Referee
I'm sorry, but how was the question to Wade humiliating?

"How do you feel about replacing Brent Webb" or something along those lines. I'm sorry, but how on earth is that humiliating? Isn't that an interesting question that their target market would like to know the answer to?

To be perfectly honest, Monty Betham was facing far more searching questions on this very forum regarding his ill discipline on the field and how the crowd were not respecting that side of his play. I'm sure if you perform a search, you will find those. Sure, it's not to his face so it's not humiliating, perhaps being behind his back it's instead gutless?

Rich102

Staff member
Concerning TV1 sports coverage.
The incident where the singer forgot the words to the anthem has been given about four times the air time as the basketball team has been given.
Go figure that for a sports item.

mean

Juniors
I witnessed one of our rugby league reporters referee a premier game semi final in the weekend. I'm gonna say that he did a pretty good job, but the thing that struck me the most was someone who obviously was putting his words into actions.

I'm gonna give this guy more credit than what I normally did, because i naturally presumed that he was just another reporter earning his monthly salary by reporting on the good and more often bad aspects of our game.

But to see this person partake in a less than glorified part of our game deserves some well earnt respect.

Well done Steve Kilgallon!!

killer79

Juniors
Saw Craig at the Warriors do last night and he told me about this thread. Very entertaining reading.
Mean, are you Peter Cordtz, if so, I claim my five dollars.
I've actually been refereeing for 16 years, got to Super League reserve grade standard and was on the fringes of first team in the UK before I emigrated, kept refereeing here but have been a bit restricted by work commitments. I think there's an assumption at times reporters aren't interested in/don't care about the sports they cover. I've been involved in league all my life, played, coached, refereed, administrated, but I don't see why I shouldn't write about the negatives involved in our game. If Dale Budge, who is also passionately involved with the game, hadn't done any digging on the Nathan Fien Grannygate incident we might never have known he was ineligible for the Kiwis.
Steve Kilgallon

mean

Juniors
killer79 said:
Mean, are you Peter Cordtz, if so, I claim my five dollars.

No. I wouldn't bad mouth myself, but would be a good ploy to deflect attention from myself.

Like your work and you're right, sometimes some negativity exposes weakness and deficiencies in organisations and hopefully that leads to an improvement or a few people getting the boot.;-)

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Yeah mate.

You and I will open up, then Goran and uh....Darcy, then old John with Bill, and finally Brenton with Scott.

Should be a cracker. What time are we playing again? I uh forgot.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Fast Eddie said:
Since we are all coming out...I'm Dale Budge.

:sarcasm:

Are we still doing that interview tomorrow?

Regards,
Steve Price

Latest posts