What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Young appointed NSW Origin player manager

drake

First Grade
Behave or face this man

By Dean Ritchie

February 9, 2005

HE is an ex-copper and rugby league hard-head, playing prop for St George in 234 first grade games during the blood-and-thunder of the 1970s.

Now former NSW and Australian prop Craig Young has been brought into the NSW State of Origin camp to ensure the highly publicised off-field dramas of 2004 are not repeated this season.

The NSWRL board yesterday named Young and Don Furner (junior) as co-managers of coach Ricky Stuart's side for this year's Origin series against Queensland.

Last year's managers, Chris Johns and Gerard Raper, were not re-appointed.

Two players – Anthony Minichiello and Mark Gasnier – were sacked from the NSW squad last season for their part in the infamous mobile phone scandal while five others were fined, including Willie Mason who returned to camp on a public bus one morning and signed another player's name at a shopping centre autograph session.

Young will be there this year to enforce a hard-line approach.

"Craig has played Origin for NSW and will bring a hard edge and non-nonsense style into our camp," Stuart told The Daily Telegraph.

Young said last night he did not anticipate any more problems with the Blues.

"I don't envisage any dramas," Young said. "We have to look toward tomorrow – what's happened has happened."

Asked why he thought he was appointed, Young said: "I suppose it was experience and maturity.

"I have dealt with the NRL players and know what they are like.

"But it is a matter of whether I can get their respect and I'm confident I can do that – I'm looking forward to it.

"It is a tremendous honour. I am there to support the coach and help in preparations."

Stuart backed the two appointments.

"I fully support the appointment of Craig Young and Don Furner," Stuart said.

"Don is an up-and-coming administrator who has been a friend of mine for years.

"But it was a tough decision for the board. There were a number of worthy applicants for the position."

Raper said: "I am disappointed but I wish the new managers and coach success this year and hope they can continue NSW's dominance."

Laurie Daley, John Cartwright and Dean Pay are expected to be named NSW assistant coaches.

Daley, the former NSW captain, will also be a selector.

Meanwhile Melbourne's Craig Bellamy will this Friday be formally named this season's Country coach.

A board meeting will confirm the appointment with Bellamy edging out St George Illawarra's Nathan Brown.

Bellamy takes over from Stuart, unavailable due to NSW commitments.

"Craig has accepted. It will be rubber stamped on Friday," said CRL general manager Terry Quinn.

Cowboys coach Graham Murray said last night he was thrilled to have been re-appointed for a fifth term as City coach.

"I'm proud and priviliged. The players make it a great week," Murray said.

The City-Country match will be played on May 6 in Lismore.

The ARL board will meet on February 23 to confirm both the coach and the international schedule for 2005.

FORMER Broncos captain Gorden Tallis will attend his first NRL Board meeting today, along with the first woman to sit on the board, Katie Page.

"I've read the agenda and I'm ready to go," Tallis said yesterday.

Sourced from http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1264&storyid=2634103

Old Albert would be a pretty hard nut.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Craig seems very respected by older generations of footballers, I've heard a couple of times Peter Sterling saying he owned him a debt of gratitude along with other for taking player under his wing.

Hopefully this will help Thommo getting the Origin spot he deserves

Jamesy

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
I'd prefer to see Thommo make the side on his own merit...

Its obvious that the selectors don't pick on merit, otherwise Thommo would have been in the side a long time ago. Maybe this is the break the Thommo needs to finally get what we all know he deserves.

Biglance

Bench
Im a bit suprised craig young wouldnt be a choice to coach us.

no one would mess with the big fella