What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Credit to Dragons conditioning team

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I think one of the contributing factors to the teams success this year is the change in conditioning team. The guys look note athletic, and fast, and less bulk.

I think HSS helped them compete throughout the game. And has also contributed to confidence by the players knowing they can continue playing at these levels and not panicking if they don't score straight away.

possm

Coach
I think one of the contributing factors to the teams success this year is the change in conditioning team. The guys look note athletic, and fast, and less bulk.

I think HSS helped them compete throughout the game. And has also contributed to confidence by the players knowing they can continue playing at these levels and not panicking if they don't score straight away.

I think this and the leaderships revised playing style along with Vaughan, McInnes, Macdonald and Sims have put the team on a good footing this season.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
I totally agree. I was of the opinion that the players were off the mark re fitness in 2016. When they resumed to play this year it was noticeable that change had been made.. Good on ya Dragons.

Lancelot:D

Life's Good

Coach
I remember when Bennett arrived and he ran boot camps to test fitness & mental agility under fatigue. I vaguely recall he wasn't that impressed and from there had this as a major target for improvement. He didn't question player talent or attitude and just thought it was fitness that needed the most work. And for 3 glorious seasons it certainly did.
It looks like the current conditioning team are making similar progress and it's great to see the results being rewarded with where we are sitting on the ladder.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Yes big credit to the strength and conditioning guys and a master stroke to employ those from outside of RL.
Muscle and aerobic fitness are basically memory based once learnt you build on it or simply get lazy with it because it knowd what to do already.
The addition of the AFL and other trainers has changed that mrmory and forced it to adjust and grow. We look fitter and stronger than we have for a long time.
The conditioning won't win us allvour games, thats up to the coaches game plan and selections, but at least wr know we'll be contesting to the final siren and not just cave in due to fatigue.

hewi

Bench
Yes big credit to the strength and conditioning guys and a master stroke to employ those from outside of RL.
Muscle and aerobic fitness are basically memory based once learnt you build on it or simply get lazy with it because it knowd what to do already.
The addition of the AFL and other trainers has changed that mrmory and forced it to adjust and grow. We look fitter and stronger than we have for a long time.
The conditioning won't win us allvour games, thats up to the coaches game plan and selections, but at least wr know we'll be contesting to the final siren and not just cave in due to fatigue.

Agree 110%, however credit where credit is due. I'm wandering off topic here but want to put this out there. Remember when Bennett in 2005 cleaned out his coaching staff and reinvented the Broncos next season? I think that's what's happened with the Dragons. They pinpointed the problem areas starting with hooker, you need an 80 minute player who can pass well both directions to allow the props to roll on down the field. Out Rein in McInnes. I've noticed on a number of occasions Millard uses the word leg drive when referring to props, Vaughan comes to mind. With leg drive and good passing you get over the ad line which is vital. Weyman was a great old style prop and I think today that's what you need. You can't have your props been dominated, so another tick. Half back, self explanatory, problem solved next year. All in all I think they have been very astute in what they have done, hope I don't have to eat my words as the season progresses but love the style of footie they are playing.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
The coaching team has done a terrific job in this regard, we definitely appear to be one of the fittest teams this year with the most balanced and dynamic forward pack.

Minh
Have to agree.
Pickworth and his team have done a great job.
They are fitter and are recovering quicker.

mickeylane

Bench
This is why I think a player like George Burgess would fly in our team as he would be in tip top shape prior to season commence

OLD FART DRAGON

Juniors
Have to agree pick worth has done a first class job,and yes we don't need soft players like Dugan, we need a fullback for a year like Michael Gordon,he's tough and smart,I think our younger fullbacks should not be rushed as for George burgess,,he will do well under pickworth he needs more fitness,,

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Have to agree pick worth has done a first class job,and yes we don't need soft players like Dugan, we need a fullback for a year like Michael Gordon,he's tough and smart,I think our younger fullbacks should not be rushed as for George burgess,,he will do well under pickworth he needs more fitness,,

I just wanted to acknowledge your forum name ........ love it you old fart!

( from another old fart )

FlameThrower

Bench
An unsung hero is Nathan Pickworth. He really has brought a lot to our club in terms of fitness.
A lot of ppl on here were sceptical on his signature as he was from an AFL background..
Off topic, I do also recall the forumn in meltdown when Mullholland left...looks like the Club did OK in both cases..

Crush

Coach
I think this and the leaderships revised playing style along with Vaughan, McInnes, Macdonald and Sims have put the team on a good footing this season.
The "leaderships" revised playing style.
Funny. Paul McGregor had nothing to do with it?