What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket World Cup

imported_Kaon

Juniors
I've been at a conference for the past week but i did realise the cricket world cup started a couple of days ago and there seems to be a surprising lack of <span>enthusiasm </span>for the <span>tournament</span>. This could be due to the lack of free-to-air matches being broadcast or the period of the <span>tournament </span>which is simply, too long.

The main <span>matches </span>on the first two days have been crackers. I stays up and watches the first half of the West Indian innings and after putting up with that garbage, i went to sleep. I was pretty peeved when i woke up the next morning to read what happened after that point.:mad:

The talking point from the second day is will NZ make the 2nd round? They got flogged be Sri Lanka and they are going to <span>forfeit </span>the match against Kenya so it looks highly unlikely given that they have yet to play the WI or South Africa. Maybe docking the pitches just prior to a World Cup is another jem for Kiwi sports administrators but the results should have been expected by any person with half a brain.

What i think will happen is Fleming and co will do a back flip on the issue on Kenya but they will still fail to make the Super 6's.

The two sides i'm most looking forward to are India and Australia. If India can do a Sri Lanka and show that their form in recent months can be disregarded, everyone will be in for a real treat. I can't remember a stronger batting line-up since i started watching cricket seriously (late 80's) and they could inflict serious damage to any bowling attack especially one that is being held <span>together </span>by a few bits of sticky tape.

Australia's first match is today and this could be the match of the <span>tournament</span>. Are Australia going to come out with all guns blazing or are they just a shell of their former selves with injury affecting half the team. Pakistan are wellll....... Pakistan.

What ever happens, it should be a good month or 5 or however long this bloody thing is going to go for.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Against my better judgment I'm sitting up watching the India vs Holland encounter.
I have to say its a good match... Holland are making a good fist of it. Theymightend up getting beat but it won't be through lack of enthusiasm.
Oops Tendulkar's gone...
...and another
Look out India....4/91
Go Holland the underdogs. :)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Steve, Bangladesh are one of the Test nations now... a low contributor admittedly butthay haveTest status nonetheless.
The Canadian victory has significance and I'm sure the lads in Vancouver are going nuts.

V

Vertigo

Somewhat innteresting, and great to see, that the Cricket World Cup is getting good coverage here in the US. BBC America, Foxsports and CNN are all allocating (some moreso than others)time every evening to review recent happenings.
Sports Illustrated/CNN America have a poll on their WebPage which has recieved a reasonable amount of hits...all things considered.
Thus far --
<u>CNN Cricket Poll </u>
<table cellspacing=2 cellpadding=5 width=480 align=center border=0> <tbody> <tr bgcolor=#cccc99> <td colspan=2>Q: Which team will win the Cricket World Cup? </td></tr> <tr> <td width=330 bgcolor=#ffffff>Australia </td> <td width=150 bgcolor=#cccccc>
blue.gif
19% </td></tr> <tr> <td width=330 bgcolor=#cccccc>England </td> <td width=150 bgcolor=#ffffff>
blue.gif
3% </td></tr> <tr> <td width=330 bgcolor=#ffffff>India </td> <td width=150 bgcolor=#cccccc>
blue.gif
33% </td></tr> <tr> <td width=330 bgcolor=#cccccc>New Zealand </td> <td width=150 bgcolor=#ffffff>
blue.gif
3% </td></tr> <tr> <td width=330 bgcolor=#ffffff>Pakistan </td> <td width=150 bgcolor=#cccccc>
blue.gif
17% </td></tr> <tr> <td width=330 bgcolor=#cccccc>South Africa </td> <td width=150 bgcolor=#ffffff>
blue.gif
11% </td></tr> <tr> <td width=330 bgcolor=#ffffff>Sri Lanka </td> <td width=150 bgcolor=#cccccc>
blue.gif
6% </td></tr> <tr> <td width=330 bgcolor=#cccccc>West Indies </td> <td width=150 bgcolor=#ffffff>
blue.gif
9% </td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff> <td align=middle colspan=2>Total: 11016 votes

V.</td></tr></tbody></table><a target=_top href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/cricket/2003/world_cup/">
</a>

imported_Docker

Juniors
33% think India will win it.
hahahahahahaha
after 30 overs vs Aus they are 88/7 with mad Habajan Singh who has just been hit on the cruett by a 90mph thunderbolt from Lee.

P

pepe

another great victory by the men in gold,hayden's carried his bat through the innings once more.

that arrogant upstart ganguly got his pants kicked,he had no bloody idea against our attack,get on your bike dickhead the aussies have arrived!!!!!

pepe

P

pepe

by the way,are the poms ever going to take the field in this comp,theystill have'ntlaced upbootsand it's the end of the first week
emdgust.gif

pepe

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Zimbabwe are doing well. They're heading the pool and dont even have to play.

P

pepe

at least the poms can go home with there heads held high if they don't take to the field;).

only kidding gav and co,we love the poms as long as they remain easybeats,and i'm not talking about soccer.

pepe

imported_Kaon

Juniors
Does anyone want to predict when Australia's first challenge will come?

I thought Pakistan made a great start but divine intervention enabled Symonds to actually contribute.

Based on Australia's performances so far the form of England isn't all that bad.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Damn good question Kaon.
My prediction is that it will come from South Afrika.
They were beat by the West Indies, right?
Whatever their form, it means little when it comes down to playing Australia... especially in front the locals.

I see that NZ are getiing worked over by the SAFs as we speak.

O

ozbash

the boers started off with a hiss and a roar, but nz,s class and tenacity shone through again.being drug free and a clean living,play by the rules nation certainly helps..
90210, i think its a nz/oz final.

you should be very worried.
========================================================

Captain Stephen Fleming has hit a brilliant 134 not out to lift New Zealand to a nine-wicket victory over South Africa in a World Cup Group B match cut short by rain at The Wanderers.
Chasing a revised target of 226, the Kiwis got home with 13 balls to spare, Fleming and Nathan Astle (a run-a-ball 54) sharing in a second-wicket of 140 stand to earn New Zealand only their second one-day win over South Africa in 13 matches.
The left-handed Fleming hammered 21 fours in 132 balls on Sunday, his fourth one-day century but first in a World Cup, in a game his team needed to win to have a realistic chance of advancing to the Super Six stage.
Fleming set the tone with an opening stand of 89 with Craig McMillan, who was caught behind for 25 driving at a Jacques Kallis outswinger in the 15th over.
Earlier, opener Herschelle Gibbs smashed a run-a-ball 143 to help South Africa to a massive 306 for six in their 50 overs, reaching his 12th century in one-day internationals.
Gibbs, who initially struggled with his timing, hammered 19 fours and three sixes before departing in the 46th over, pulling seamer Jacob Oram to McMillan at deep mid-wicket.
South Africa had got off to a flying start, coasting to 113 for one after 19 overs, but were checked briefly by Scott Styris and the slow left-arm of Daniel Vettori, who conceded just 19 runs from the next eight overs before Gibbs broke the shackles.
Left-handed opener Graeme Smith blasted five fours in a quickfire 23, before top-edging a hook off Shane Bond to be well caught by wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum, making good ground running back towards the ropes.
Gibbs then shared 66 for the second wicket with Nicky Boje (29) and 67 with Kallis (33) as South Africa cruised through the middle overs without undue risk.
All rounder Lance Klusener applied the finishing touch with an unbeaten 33 in 21 balls, flat batting Andre Adams for six over mid-on and smashing four further boundaries to take South Africa past 300.
Both teams had won once and lost once in their opening two games of the tournament but New Zealand's need for victory was greater as they have refused to travel to Nairobi for their scheduled match against Kenya on February 21.

O

ozbash

Mr Flemming.

0,,1501787,00.jpg

undisputed cricketing champion and all round nice guy.

imported_JoeD

Juniors
". . .that arrogant upstart ganguly. . . "

Does anyone want to predict when Australia's first challenge will come?

I know these quotes have come from 2 different posters but it kinda sums up aussies attitude. We're allowed to be arrogant but nobody else is.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Saying Ganguly isnt arrogant is like saying saying Fleming doesnt enjoy smoking weed.

Offcourse Ganguly has a track record and in case you havent noticed, Australia are beatiing, no thrashing, the opposition. Can't wait to play NZ... there'll be no blocking tactics.... there'll be nowhere to hide for Mr Fleming.

Latest posts