What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Von

Juniors
I agree, I think it is a combination of Manly making the GF on a consistant basis and the price hike. I also think Roosters fans can be pretty lethargic, I know in 2010 the crowd was probably 70% Saints supporters to 30% Rooster supporters but Saints had waited such a long time to actually get there. As a neutral to this game $300 a seat is way over the top.

Yes 2010 was about 70/30, but remember you guys had bought most of the tickets as soon as they went on sale as you were on top through the year, and given it was 30+ years since your last premiership. We assed it from 6th place. And yes, you do have a bigger fan base.

guyver78

Juniors
Putting aside who's even in the grand final, I don't know about the rest of you but I think this grand final week has just been sooo flat and for the most part boring. 2010 when the Dragons were going to win there was a nice build up, 2011 everybody really wanted the Warriors to get up and there was excitement.

Even last year as much as a lot of people hate the Bulldogs the week was exciting and everyone wanted to see what Ben Barba could do and how the Dogs were going to beat the Storm.

This year nobody seems to care too much about Trent Robinson who's just taking too much credit. Sure he won the minor premiership but most coaches would do quite well if they signed SBW, Jennings and Maloney in one year.

Then you have the same old crap written in the papers and re run on TV and stressed to death over and over again on SBW.

They even had the nerve to write such crap about Des Hassler and how he was money hungry & how he now regrets leaving Manly in an attempt to glorify Toovey. Sorry Manly fans but Geoff Toovey is not even half the coach that Hassler was & Toovey is still riding on all the good foundations Hassler built.

Von

Juniors
Disagree with EVERYTHING you have written.

The GF build up has been good....as good as any other year. Not an over the top media wank....because Souffs choked last week.

Robinson does deserve a lot of credit for the Chooks successful year. If you know anything about coaching at an elite level, it is about man management and getting the best out of your players, and having them want to play for you and each other. Just because you have a good roster, doesn't mean you have instant success.

And Toovey also deserves a lot of credit. Manly had many critics at the start of the year, "their team was too old", the board was/is still infighting, they lost some players and assistant coaching staff. Toovey has done a great job to get them to the GF.

Guyver, Not sure if you know much about the game or more importantly the psychology of professional sport..or you're just a sad negative derp.

guyver78

Juniors
Disagree with EVERYTHING you have written.

The GF build up has been good....as good as any other year. Not an over the top media wank....because Souffs choked last week.

Robinson does deserve a lot of credit for the Chooks successful year. If you know anything about coaching at an elite level, it is about man management and getting the best out of your players, and having them want to play for you and each other. Just because you have a good roster, doesn't mean you have instant success.

And Toovey also deserves a lot of credit. Manly had many critics at the start of the year, "their team was too old", the board was/is still infighting, they lost some players and assistant coaching staff. Toovey has done a great job to get them to the GF.

Guyver, Not sure if you know much about the game or more importantly the psychology of professional sport..or you're just a sad negative derp.

Mate what are you on about? First of all there was more hype throughout the week when the Roosters were playing the Rabbitohs for the minor premiership there there has been all week leading up to the grand final.
Secondly good coaching only plays a part in getting to and winning the grand final. You need a combination of good coaching, good playing roster and a lot of luck to go your way. Most if not all coaches at the elite level are good chaches.

Sure I agree with you that a good coach is a good motivator who gets the best out of his players and manages his players well as well as prepares them for game day, gives them direction etc etc but at the elite level most if not all first grage coaches are good motivators otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first place.

Secondly you need a good playing roster and this is by far the most important. You can be the best motivator in the world but if you dont have good players on your team you're not winning anything simple as that. This formula has proved to be right time and time again. Take away Sam Burgess/Inglis from Souths, Cameron Smith/Cooper Cronk from Melbourne, Brett Stewart/Jamie Lyon from Manly, do the 3 coaches still have the successful seasons they had? Does Trent Robbinson still win the minor premiership without SBW, Jennings and Maloney? Alan Langer and Darren Lockyer even made Wayne Bennet what he is today. Look at Souths over the years, they didn't have bad coaches but they never had the players to win.
Lastly you need a lot of luck and a lot to go your way to make and make/win the grand final too.

If you go back as far as the last 10 years then the Melbourne Storm have been the best and most consistent club in the competition by far but things havent always gone their way hence why they didn't win every year.
-Would Souths have still beaten Melbourne had Melbourne been not been disallowed that try that Slater scored? maybe
-Manly themselves were unlucky and inches away from scoring against the Roosters in the first game of the finals. Had the Roosters lost in week 1 would the still be in the grand final? maybe
-Would Manly have still beaten the Sharks had the referee not awarded the Taufua dropped ball a try? maybe
-Would Manly still come back against Souths had Issac Luke not knocked the ball on and Souths got up from 14 to 20-0? maybe

I know these are now all hypotheticals and they dont really matter now but you need a lot more to go your way to get to the grand final then just good coaching.

Kirky

Juniors
If tickets sell out the NRL's pricing is justified, and will likely rise again next year. Marquee events cost a lot of money to attend. Does it suck that a lot of fans are priced out? Yes. It also sucks that people are priced out of living in the nicest suburbs, of driving the nicest cars, of having their kids attend the best schools. It's capitalism. Horrible and unfair, but a hell of a lot better than the alternatives.

Valheru

Coach
Mate what are you on about? First of all there was more hype throughout the week when the Roosters were playing the Rabbitohs for the minor premiership there there has been all week leading up to the grand final.
Secondly good coaching only plays a part in getting to and winning the grand final. You need a combination of good coaching, good playing roster and a lot of luck to go your way. Most if not all coaches at the elite level are good chaches.

Sure I agree with you that a good coach is a good motivator who gets the best out of his players and manages his players well as well as prepares them for game day, gives them direction etc etc but at the elite level most if not all first grage coaches are good motivators otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first place.

Secondly you need a good playing roster and this is by far the most important. You can be the best motivator in the world but if you dont have good players on your team you're not winning anything simple as that. This formula has proved to be right time and time again. Take away Sam Burgess/Inglis from Souths, Cameron Smith/Cooper Cronk from Melbourne, Brett Stewart/Jamie Lyon from Manly, do the 3 coaches still have the successful seasons they had? Does Trent Robbinson still win the minor premiership without SBW, Jennings and Maloney? Alan Langer and Darren Lockyer even made Wayne Bennet what he is today. Look at Souths over the years, they didn't have bad coaches but they never had the players to win.
Lastly you need a lot of luck and a lot to go your way to make and make/win the grand final too.

If you go back as far as the last 10 years then the Melbourne Storm have been the best and most consistent club in the competition by far but things havent always gone their way hence why they didn't win every year.
-Would Souths have still beaten Melbourne had Melbourne been not been disallowed that try that Slater scored? maybe
-Manly themselves were unlucky and inches away from scoring against the Roosters in the first game of the finals. Had the Roosters lost in week 1 would the still be in the grand final? maybe
-Would Manly have still beaten the Sharks had the referee not awarded the Taufua dropped ball a try? maybe
-Would Manly still come back against Souths had Issac Luke not knocked the ball on and Souths got up from 14 to 20-0? maybe

I know these are now all hypotheticals and they dont really matter now but you need a lot more to go your way to get to the grand final then just good coaching.

Yes we get it, the roosters are shit, they are lucky to be there, souffs were ripped off and deserve to be there blah blah blah

Dragons01

First Grade
Yes we get it, the roosters are shit, they are lucky to be there, souffs were ripped off and deserve to be there blah blah blah

I don't think anyone would seriously be saying the Roosters ae shit, not with a straight face anyway.

The Roosters deserve to be there just like Manly do. I actually think not enough is made of winning the Minor Premiership as the team that wins that has been the most consistent team of the regular season and that is a long time from March to September.

I think it is a combination of things that gets teams to a GF and even Wayne Bennett has said luck plays a part. Luck with injuries and a bit of luck with some of those 50/50 calls. But having said that it is alot of other things as well, good coach, good playing rooster and a total belief in your ability as a team. Kind of like the perfect storm, when you get all those things marry up and combine then you are a real shot at a GF.

No-one can really begrudge the two teams that run out tomorrow - we don't have to like it, but no-one can really say they don't deserve to be there.

StGeorgeBull

Juniors
Just checking Ticketek now you can still get upto 5 seats in a row in Diamond and 3 seats in a row in platinum. And there are single tickets available in other areas.

That is an embarrassment of epic proportion. Throw in Souths fans who are struggling to get rid of tickets even at reduced prices and we are looking at the smallest crowd since grand finals have been at ANZ.

When you also consider that there have been plenty of tickets as prizes and we are still looking at a crowd total with a '7' at the start of it, it's unjustifiable.

Yes the ridiculous prices are a big factor and the NRL needs a good hard look at itself for getting that so wrong. But still even at these prices after stadium members and neutrals these teams only need to deliver about 20k each to sell the place out. Two Sydney teams being unable to do that is not good enough.

NRL, the Sea Eagles and the Roosters, what's doing?

How is the code supposed to explain a grand final with two Sydney teams having thousands of empty seats.

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
:lol: Geez there's some massive overreactions in here. There is literally less than 100 tickets left.

It will be absolutely packed tomorrow. There will be no empty gaps in the crowd. The crowd will be 80K+. Everyone needs to relax and stop whinging.

StGeorgeBull

Juniors
:lol: Geez there's some massive overreactions in here. There is literally less than 100 tickets left.

It will be absolutely packed tomorrow. There will be no empty gaps in the crowd. The crowd will be 80K+. Everyone needs to relax and stop whinging.
With rows of 5 and 3 still available and singles in multiple areas there is a lot more than 100 left to sell. And you're forgetting the Souffs fans who won't go and can't get rid of the tickets. It won't get to 80,000.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Here's a little secret: if the GF doesn't sell out, that is there are a few hundred empty seats the sky won't fall in. What will happen is that the NRL will look at their pricing structure and adjust as necessary.

And next year the usual mob will be in the 2014 crowd thread whinging and whining about crowds all the while not attending games themselves.

Evenflow

Bench
Why don't you at least wait until the crowd figure is released before having a whine?

Because i'll bet my last cent that the NRL will inflate crowd figure to justify their exorbitant price rises regardless of what the actual crowd is. I'm not blaming the fans of either team or neutrals, i blame the NRL and the NRL only.

If the Storm were playing i'd happily pay whatever it costs as i have done every other year but i don't expect every other fan to do so. We all have different circumstances and responsibilities and i can fully understand that not everyone can/will pay the prices that they've set this year.

Kokora

Juniors
I've been lucky enough to attend 4 grand finals since 2000 and have sat around the 20 metre mark on the lower tier every time. The most I paid for a ticket was $135 in 2010. This year that same seat is $285. That priced me out of going as taking a couple of kids would end up a $1000 day.
The atmosphere at these events is absolutely fantastic and should be experienced by all league fans at least once, however ANZ is not the best venue to watch Rugby League

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I have said it before and I will say it again.

To those people who have got bookings for this grand final and don't go, you are pathetic.

Crowd should be 84,000 - yet it wont be, could be our lazy sooky fans (with tickets) to blame.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

To those people who have got bookings for this grand final and don't go, you are pathetic.

Crowd should be 84,000 - yet it wont be, could be our lazy sooky fans (with tickets) to blame.

Anyone who has a ticket and doesn't go is a) stupid and b) a loser. Why waste something that has cost so much money?? I don't think there will be too many who do so though.

Can't wait for tonight

StGeorgeBull

Juniors

I don't think that is fair. They are offering them at reduced prices all over the place. If they can't get rid of them it says a lot about the fans of the teams playing.

The atmosphere is better with less neutrals and more fans of the teams actually playing. We should want Manly/Roosters fans there instead of neutrals.

Imagine if it was the other way around and two of Souffs/Dogs/Dragons/Eels were playing. If a Roosters/Manly fan was selling them at a reduced price there would be a riot outside their house.

Where is the demand? And even when you take into account the tickets bought by Souffs fans there are STILL unsold tickets at Ticketek. I just can't comprehend how a grand final with two Sydney teams didn't sell out on the first day tickets were available.

It leads to one conclusion. There are only at most about 20,000 Manly fans and 20,000 Roosters fans in all of Sydney who are willing to go to a game. That number would be tripled or quadrupled by other teams.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I don't think that is fair. They are offering them at reduced prices all over the place. If they can't get rid of them it says a lot about the fans of the teams playing.

The atmosphere is better with less neutrals and more fans of the teams actually playing. We should want Manly/Roosters fans there instead of neutrals.

Imagine if it was the other way around and two of Souffs/Dogs/Dragons/Eels were playing. If a Roosters/Manly fan was selling them at a reduced price there would be a riot outside their house.

Where is the demand? And even when you take into account the tickets bought by Souffs fans there are STILL unsold tickets at Ticketek. I just can't comprehend how a grand final with two Sydney teams didn't sell out on the first day tickets were available.

It leads to one conclusion. There are only at most about 20,000 Manly fans and 20,000 Roosters fans in all of Sydney who are willing to go to a game. That number would be tripled or quadrupled by other teams.

i think that is garbage, considering that a lot of both teams fans will have bought tickets during the season considering both have been top 4 all year. Also the price is prohibitive to fans of our clubs in the lower income bracket. If we only had 20k fans willing to attend a game we would average 10k, i estimate we have a pool of 30-40k who will attend games . From those, many will attend mainly daytime footy (families), others are event hawks, yet more will come mainly to saturday night footy...... It takes a perfect storm to mobilize the support of any club in sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.